Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

*UPDATED* Bikeforums ADK (PF QS-2S) carbon frame group buy thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

***************UPDATE AS OF 10/5***************

We are looking at the frame/fork deal found in the e-mails below that Pedal Force is offering us as the best possible solution.
Thank's for all your help and input guys, let's see if we can't get 100 people interested and involved!

E-mail #1
Dear Benjamin,

The best we can offer is $500usd for the frame only or $600 usd for the QS2-S and ID14 fork with no shipping charge for US customers. So we are not charging shipping.

The costs that we previously listed are not fixed costs, but running costs incurred whenever we handle an order. Bear in mind that we are offering an exceptional price for an excellent product, backed up by our reliable service. Our margin is very low but we are in a business and do need to make some money for a living. Without customers' support and understanding, genuine businesses like us will not survive.

If the 100 orders is not reached, we can offer different prices at a 25 order increment. Hopefully we can work something out for the bikeforum members given the level of interest.

e-mail #2
Hi Benjamin,
My mistake. For frame QS2-S and fork ID14, the price will be $550USD including shipping. And for frame only is $500USD. These prices are for 100 orders.

Regards,
Ming

If any of you have been following this thread- https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=232535 you know that it is possible to order Carbon frames directly from ADK, the manufacturer for the Pedal Force QS-2S frame, and will likely surface as other bikes in the coming year. We would be able to purchase the frames at 270 dollars a frame, plus whatever shipping and duties there may be, however we would need a commitment to purchase 100 frames. Many people have expressed interest, so this thread can serve as a clearinghouse for information, a place to express interest, or to keep up on the status of this potential order.

The following is information shamelessly stolen from the other thread-If other people have more information feel free to provide it.

The frames come from ADK Technology in Taiwan and comes in several sizes.

Measured at the seat tube the sizes are; 50/53/55/58/61CM(C-T). Apparently the frame comes in two styles, a 3K and 12K weave. They differentiate each by using a tight outer cosmetic weave on the 3K and a larger weave on the 12K.

vs.

It appears that Pedal Force will not be the only ones selling this frameset. I am also told that the 12K is slightly heavier than the 3K. It also appears that there are two model designations from ADK, there is the AKFM03 and the AKFM03SL. I could not find anything that would describe the difference between the two models.

I may be able to provide some additional information regarding the ADK frames mentioned.

AKFM03 - 12K Carbon weave and 1.25kg for medium
AKFM03SL - 3K Carbon weave and 1.05kg for medium

BTW - prices from ADK were $270 (US) in quantities of 100 or more

However, I will say that it's not clear that the ADK frame is the same as the QS2-S. The PDF
brochure they provide is VERY poor.

And who could forget Patriot's dead sexy paintjob on the frame we are looking at??

Last edited by tekhna; 10-05-06 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-30-06, 11:59 AM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, if we are able to muster up 100 buyers, we can buy frames for 270 a piece? This is only the frame, right?
It does not need to be 100 of the same frame I assume? Like, 100 of the 58cm to get that pricing. I would be interested if we have enough support on this one.
Old 09-30-06, 12:03 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
The logistics of this would be impossible. I'd like to see this happen though.
Old 09-30-06, 12:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would assume we could order 100 frames of mixed sizes, but that is something to confirm and part of the logistics of all of this. This would be for the frame only, but I suppose while we are at it we could look at forks!
Old 09-30-06, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
The logistics of this would be impossible. I'd like to see this happen though.

No it's not, I've seen it work with guitar forum buys of 500.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and we don't place the order. But it's worth a shot!
Old 09-30-06, 12:06 PM
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Im in for at least one if it happens.
Old 09-30-06, 12:15 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would rather keep my Reynolds fork, I love that thing. Is the frame black by default? My boss at work is very good friends with a company that does custom paint jobs on all sorts of stuff, maybe I could give it at least a little color.
Group buys are possible, but it is tough. I know thereis a Chinese company called Sieg that people tried to organize a group buy for to buy a select milling machine not sold in USA. Though, the road cycling forum here is by the largest, it might just be possible.
Old 09-30-06, 12:21 PM

Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be in for one if not two of those frames.

Huy
Old 09-30-06, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like an opportunity for the potential of a scam; not saying it is. Coordinating 100 payments/addresses/shipments seems unwieldy at best. Having said that for $270 you can count me as a buyer *IF* it firms up as feasible and legit.
Old 09-30-06, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
It looks like an opportunity for the potential of a scam; not saying it is. Coordinating 100 payments/addresses/shipments seems unwieldy at best. Having said that for $270 you can count me as a buyer *IF* it firms up as feasible and legit.

That's why I want other trusted forum members on board helping with this-I want it to be completely on the up and up. The logistics of coordinating 100 different buyers will be a little out of control!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in!
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this happens after the new year I would be in for at least one, possibly two frames.
Old 09-30-06, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 05 Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im definately in for 1. possibly 2. both id like the very small weave, is it the 3k?. both 55cm's
Old 09-30-06, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do they come painted black or just the bare carbon weave? I would prefer the weave because otherwise I'd be looking at paying another couple hundred to have it painted something nicer.
Old 09-30-06, 12:55 PM
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although I share the same missgivings/concerns about logistics. However, if all the issues could be worked out to everyone's comfort/satisfaciton - count me in for one.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 09-30-06, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in for 1. I think this is totally possible. I've taken part in other forum groupbuys and it's worked out great.
Old 09-30-06, 01:11 PM
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blandin
Although I share the same missgivings/concerns about logistics. However, if all the issues could be worked out to everyone's comfort/satisfaciton - count me in for one.
Cause Blandin don't have enough bikes.

What' the difference between the QS2 and QS2-S? I'm intrigued to say the least.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 09-30-06, 01:13 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Is the 270 including fork?

I'd probably snag one, I just bought a Flyte, but that's easy enough ebayable if the time comes.

And I know one other person who'd probably jump on the opportunity.

(withholding final decision until the ultimate door to door cost is determined)

Last edited by cuda2k; 09-30-06 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-30-06, 01:18 PM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Lets be careful here guys...this frame isn't going to wind up costing $270. Keep in mind there WILL be shipping from Taiwan to account for, plus import duties...plus shipping from whoever imports the frames to the buyer.

Also keep in mind...what happens if you frame gets hosed up in the shipping process. Who eats that?

I am interested for sure as the cost will be low but there is a lot to think about here. Someone pencil me in for 2 frames as long as the final cost is under $400 per frame.
Old 09-30-06, 01:25 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course the frame iwll be over 270. But, considering this will probably be massed shipped to the USA, probably by boat, shipping will be fairly cheap.
Old 09-30-06, 01:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a domain and hosting if someone want to write the code ))
Would be a good way to track payments/orders
Old 09-30-06, 01:28 PM
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If this thread takes off, and there is significant interest. I will stick this thread. Also, we can have a list of members interested right at the first post. Underneath the picture of Patriots frame that is.
Old 09-30-06, 02:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am partly to blame if this flies, as I was one of the few who suggested we consider a forum group buy in the original thread.

I would surely be interested.

What we need is a few really dedicated forumites, who have some spare time, and are willing to distribute to the rest for a 'small' fee for their trouble. I am sure all of us would have to agree what that fee would be as like people mentioned before, 100 frames can be a logistical nightmare.

We would need some form of payment method, and all would have to agree on all the shipping costs collectively.

or...

There is no doubt that 100 frames would net a profit for someone, so maybe another option would be someone who is familiar with shipping/duties, or owns an online, or an actual brick and morter business, may want to take a project like this up.

I dunno.. just passing some info along, from other group buys I have taken part of originating from the INTRAWEB.
Old 09-30-06, 03:04 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
No offense, but apart from maybe one of the bike business owners I know here personally I don't trust any of you with any money.
Old 09-30-06, 03:21 PM
Team RALA

Bikes: 1986 Basso Gap/Dura Ace, 2008 Canyon Ultimate CF/Campy Record, 2009 Cube Sting XTR/R1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to provide some additional details regarding my communications with ADK.

The quantity of 100 was the minimum order. They may have different price breaks for larger orders.

Prices were for frame only.

Payment was to be receive in advance, which means somebody will have to collect and be responsible
for $30,000+ of BF member’s money. I was told that payment should be made by TT, but I don't know
what TT is.

Turn around time for shipment was 60 days from payment.

I found it rather odd that ADK did not have a web site and the PDF brochure I was sent was rather
poor in quality. If it were not for the feedback provided through this forum I would have dismissed
this company immediately.

Besides the two previously mentioned ADK frames, depicted in the PDF brochure was a third road
frame and two carbon mountain frames (regular and SL models).

I do not know if the order can be a mix of models.

Forks - As I recall there were 8-10 different forks available. Models with 3K and 12K weaves, carbon
and AL steerer tubes, and cyclocross forks. Lots of forks but I didn't get the prices.

They also have a couple of road and mountain handlebars.

I would suggest that if someone is willing to go though the trouble of organizing this effort, then a ~$4
surcharge could be added to the final cost of each frame, thus allowing that person to get their order
for free.

Who's up for a free frame(s)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.