Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Lube do you Lube with?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been using Tri-Flow since I have been riding and was wondering if there is a better lube out there for road bike chains? I've heard people say that ProLink and White Lightning Epic / Original Lube are also good. Anyoneone using these and recommend them or not?
Old 10-29-04, 08:34 AM
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use White Lightning and it does a great job for me. I've never used Tri-Flow, so sorry, I can't compare.
Old 10-29-04, 08:39 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
LBS told me to avoid White Lightning and sold me T9 Boeshield saying it is what they use on their personal bikes. Showed me gunk build up that they claimed is from the White Lightning. T9 has been great to me and I will buy it again.

Edit: Fixed my idiocy...for now.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 10-29-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 08:46 AM

Bikes: a bunch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With this thread name, gay men may soon be flocking to this board.

I use Pro Link. I used to use White Lightning, but after a chain seized up on me during a ride in the rain, I stopped using it on the LBS's recommendation. He said that by using White Lightning the chain tends to have that gunk build up mentioned previously, and that's probably why my chain got fouled up.

I know one old racer type who still waxes his chains. While his drivetrain is the cleanest I've ever seen on a bicycle, it sure seems like a lot of trouble.
Old 10-29-04, 08:50 AM
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TriFlow. I've tried several of the "dry lubes" but nothing works as well as TriFlow. It's more work cause you have to clean the chain more often but I feel it works better.
Old 10-29-04, 09:00 AM
group W bench

Bikes: Raleigh Prestige, GT ZR.1, Burley Duet, Schwinn Voyagre, Giant ATX 990, a couple single speeds and a fixed gear, plus my bike collection

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 3 Posts
Prolink is the way to go. Stays on well in all conditions and doesn't attract a lot of gunk.
Old 10-29-04, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that Pro Link smells like kerosense or gasoline? Is that true because I store my bike inside my house and I don't want the house to smell like a garage. The Tri-Flow doesn't bother me or smell that strong.
Old 10-29-04, 09:18 AM
Short bus rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used prolink, triflow, pedro's ice wax, and white lightning. By far white lightning works the best. I don't know what gunk build up they are talking about because it keeps the chain nice and clean. If you want your chain and everything else to be black as coal try prolink. the down side of white lightning is you need to apply it very frequently, but because it is clean that's no problem.
Old 10-29-04, 09:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mean White Lightning Epic Lube (wet) or White Lightning Lube (dry-wax)?
Old 10-29-04, 10:57 AM
rwg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Triflow works great if you don't mind the mess. I haven't used pro-link, but any relatively heavy oil or synthetic will work well, it will just attract gunk. My drivetrain is much more quiet with a wet lube than a dry lube.

Right now I am using a Finish Line dry lube b/c it harldy ever rains here. It works well enough. Not as good as triflow, but well enough and it's much cleaner.
Old 10-29-04, 11:00 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use White lightning dry wax lube and it works really nice on my road bike. Now on my jekyll which is always in water it is another story, chain started actually rusting a little and I went back to convential...
Old 10-29-04, 11:06 AM
Mad Town Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Boeshield (as opposed to Bone Shield mentioned above??)

-murray

Old 10-29-04, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H. Star
...By far white lightning works the best. I don't know what gunk build up they are talking about because it keeps the chain nice and clean...
I suspect people get gunk because they don't clean their drive train thoroughly enough/at all before starting to use. Have not tried yet, but there are others who swear by Boeshield T-9 and plan on giving this a try when my WL runs out.
Old 10-29-04, 11:11 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Murrays
I like Boeshield (as opposed to Bone Shield mentioned above??)

-murray

Oops I be read not too gud. Yea what he said, that is the stuff.
Old 10-29-04, 11:41 AM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used many chain lubes since 1987, and I highly recommend White Lightning. I use it every 100 miles.

You must remove the sticky preservative from a new chain first!!!

Tom
Old 10-29-04, 11:54 AM
Short bus rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ender wiggins
Do you mean White Lightning Epic Lube (wet) or White Lightning Lube (dry-wax)?
The original lube, not the new Epic. It's like the other poster said above, reapply every 100 miles (or less) and it is the ticket.
Old 10-29-04, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H. Star
I've used prolink, triflow, pedro's ice wax, and white lightning. By far white lightning works the best. I don't know what gunk build up they are talking about because it keeps the chain nice and clean. If you want your chain and everything else to be black as coal try prolink. the down side of white lightning is you need to apply it very frequently, but because it is clean that's no problem.
i agree. this exactly the same feeling i have about prolink and white lightning. it only takes
a few minutes to clean the chain and apply lube, so it's not a bother to apply multiple times a
week.

i tried prolink based on all of the good reviews, and i was not impressed. i am back to
the regular white lightning.
Old 10-29-04, 03:34 PM

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rock-n-Roll Gold
Old 10-29-04, 04:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use White Lightning Epic and have never had any problems with gunk. The key for me -- and was the advice of my LBS -- is to make sure to completely wipe down the chain and drivetrain after application. There should be no excess lube on the chain, if you completely wipe it after application. Done properly, this prevents gunk buildup and makes for a very clean, and well lubed chain.

I reapply about every 100 miles or so, sometimes more.
Old 10-29-04, 05:11 PM
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with these other people, I wipe down my chain and use regular White Lightning every week (150 miles).. no gunk at all, never had a chain seize in the rain.
Old 10-29-04, 05:46 PM
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just scrub the cassette, chainring & chain clean with warm water and simple green every few rides, only takes a minute with a good brush, then I lube with 90weight gear oil/diferential oil. It has detergents to help prevent excessive wear.
Old 10-29-04, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using Pedro's dry now after I bought four bottles of Prolink. The prolink seemed to need reapplication after two or three rides and attracted dirt like a magnet. My LBS told me to stop using it as they thought I had WD 40 on my chain, they recommended Boeshield.
I will give my other bottles of this stuff (Prolink) away for shipping cost if you guys really like it.

Larry
Old 10-29-04, 11:58 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is one of those questions that's been answered a 1000 times and everyone likes something different. I used TriFlow for the good part of 18 years starting back in the mid 70's and it was the original bike specific chain lubricant and it worked good then and still does today.

But alas some LBS's got me to switch to the wax based crapola and I tried them all for about 5 or 6 years trying to find a good one to no avail (including Pedros and White Lightning). I found out two things about wax based lubes; 1) they don't last longer then about 60 miles before the chain starts raising a fuss so carry a bottle of it with you on long rides. And 2) my chains wore out at least twice as fast as they did using TriFlow.

Then I switched to Speed Skate Lube (yep, the stuff for skate wheels), and it worked great, but I don't like sprays so after about a year of using it I switched to Finish Line Teflon Dry. I have been using this stuff for about 3 years now and like it a lot. It last at least 400 miles without having to relube...BUT don't do that! I clean and relube about every 150 miles just to keep things clean and fresh.

I now clean my chain using only the Finish Line chain cleaning machine, their cleaning fluid and a tooth brush; I use to take the chain apart but this cleaning machine works so well that's no longer necessary.

One note about Speed Skate Lube, this stuff works fantastic on freewheels. I bought a freewheel about 3 years ago, and less then 8 months later the pawls were clicking sporadically loudly; so as an experiment I hosed the freewheel with the Speed Skate Lube. Over 2 years have gone by and the freewheel is still silent.
Old 10-30-04, 12:45 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Still like Pro Link my drivetrain feels better longer than with WL
Old 10-30-04, 04:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorex. Wet or Dry lube. Depending on the weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.