Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Granola Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 03:38 PM
2008 Prouty

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.5 FX 2007 Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Granola Bars

I like 'em. But I don't like the crap wrapped in the store sold as granola bars. So I started searching and came up with the first recipe I'll try and if I like it, modify; or try a completely different one although they're all pretty basic.

https://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/1...-in-these-bars

I've got nothing opposed to fig newtons but an excuse to dabble in the kitchen and perhaps come up with something good to bring along on a ride. Anyone else have any homemade healthy goodies?

Thank You! -eric
Old 04-13-08, 03:42 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
These are unbelievably good! (There are a total of 14 recipes on the link, by the way. )

Honey Oatmeal bars

https://www.sc.edu/healthycarolina/pd...esDesserts.pdf

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-13-08, 03:43 PM
2008 Prouty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1/2 cup butter Tom? I like 'em already!

Thank You! -eric
Old 04-13-08, 06:35 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried the Fibre One bars? I have tried many and the Fibre One bars are what I like the best. We buy them by the box now.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 04-13-08, 06:44 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like Clif Bars - lots of good ingredients in there but the recipes look great too!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 04-13-08, 08:02 PM
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try
https://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31335,00.html

Alton Brown makes the BEST food! I havent tried these (inted to this summer) but everything of his I have tried (except for the tofu... Sorry AB) has been EXCELLENT!

JMHO
Billy
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-13-08, 08:06 PM
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
"Crispy Rice Bars Dipped in Chocolate and Lavished with Caramel"

You're speaking my language!

And they sound so much better than little servings of cottage cheese and apricots (blecccch!)
Old 04-14-08, 05:25 AM
2008 Prouty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not tried either the fibre one bars or cliff bars although I know the cliff's have a following. Agreed AB does make good stuff, maybe I'll give his a try first. I think I vaguely remember that episode as well lol. Chocolate and caramel! I must.....I must try to stray from that which I love.....

Thank You! -eric
Old 04-14-08, 05:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a clif bar when riding a two hour or more workout and I want some quick energy, but I like the Fibre One bar as it is very filling and is a somewhat healthy snack and in around 35% of a daily fibre requirement. Clif bars are usually high in calories, but they do help on long rides.
Old 04-14-08, 05:44 PM

Bikes: Dimondback Outback DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this recipe;

Chewy Granola Bars
"Extra chewy granola bars. You can make them your own by picking different ingredients to add in! Try using any combination of miniature chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, raisins, chopped dried fruits, candy-coated chocolate pieces, chopped nuts, etc."

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup Rice Crispies
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
3. Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
Old 04-14-08, 06:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I use a clif bar when riding a two hour or more workout and I want some quick energy, but I like the Fibre One bar as it is very filling and is a somewhat healthy snack and in around 35% of a daily fibre requirement. Clif bars are usually high in calories, but they do help on long rides.
+1 on the Fiber One bars...especially the Oats & Caramel variety...YUMMM!!! It's a substantial bar, too...not like some others that I have tried that end up being too airy, light and non-filling.
Old 04-14-08, 07:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nscrbug
+1 on the Fiber One bars...especially the Oats & Caramel variety...YUMMM!!! It's a substantial bar, too...not like some others that I have tried that end up being too airy, light and non-filling.

I agree about it being more filling than most of the other bars. I also put a smaller Quaker brand bar in my car and desk just in case. They are smaller and have fewer calories, so I like them as something to hold me until I get to something better.
Old 04-14-08, 10:47 PM
Keep on, keepin on

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy Custom build, Giant Sedona, '06 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to get too off topic, but does anyone here like granola type breakfast cereals? I know I do. If any one has a tried and true recipe to make your own, I'd like to see it.
IMHO - packaged cereals seem overpriced and contain weirdo ingredients that can be avoided making it myself.
PM-me if any.

Back on subject now. Thanks
Old 04-15-08, 01:23 AM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kashi TLC (Tasty Little Chewies) Trial Mix bars

Our TLC™, Tasty Little Chewies, chewy granola bars are truly lovable. They bring our unique blend of Seven Whole Grains and Sesame together with whole, roasted nuts, succulent, sun-dried fruit, and a touch of wildflower honey. And with 4g of Fiber and 5-7g of Protein, they are as nourishing as they are tasty.

Naturally, you won’t find any partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial anything but what you will find in our chewy granola bars is just what you’d expect from Kashi—minimally processed, pure ingredients, and natural goodness you can see as well as taste.
Old 04-15-08, 02:41 AM
Night Rider

Bikes: '08 Diamondback Response Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B Piddy
Not to get too off topic, but does anyone here like granola type breakfast cereals? I know I do. If any one has a tried and true recipe to make your own, I'd like to see it.
IMHO - packaged cereals seem overpriced and contain weirdo ingredients that can be avoided making it myself.
PM-me if any.

I'm a fan of trail mix which varies every time I make it. Usually involves a bag of vanilla almond granola (or just the granola) as a base with banana chips, a bag of mixed dried fruit (occasionally will also get the dried berries variety), pecans, and whatever else you feel like putting into it. The reason I mention this is because on several occasions I've pulled some aside and eaten it in a bowl with milk like cereal. Though you must realize my granola base is about 1/2 the mix.
Old 04-15-08, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B Piddy
PM-me if any.

Trader Joe's carries a couple "normal food" granola cereals. They meet most of my mom's requirements (low sodium, low fat, has protein) but flunk on grams of sugar per serving... Mom's idea of ok sugar for a cereal was under 5g/serving, so she's a leeeeeetle strict. The TJ's granola is 9, so more than I'd prefer, but not bad compared to many other cereals.

I know I can't make a comparable granola for less than they charge ($2/lb), so I just buy it.
Old 08-25-10, 08:09 PM
Clever Title

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Gary Fisher Urban Utopia (RIP)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Have you tried the Fibre One bars? I have tried many and the Fibre One bars are what I like the best. We buy them by the box now.
Anything Fibre One makes me insanely gassy, that is if I am lucky. If I'm not lucky, well, it's downright unpleasant.