Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

argh.. help me make up my mind

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 02:05 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going back and forth with myself on whether or not to buy a new bike. I know this has been gone over hundreds of times in these forums, so I apologize if it seems redundant. I guess I just need to vent and get advice while I'm at it.

Anyway, my main issue right now is paying down debt and saving up money so I've actually frozen a lot of my own funds so I can't play with it. /cry

However, I'm willing to make a few concessions for a new bike. I've been looking at the Kona Dew or Kona Smoke, both available from my LBS.

Anyway, in point form:

On the Nay side!

- My mountain bike sufficed just fine for the past few years
- my daily travel isn't that far at all (5km round trip)
- I go through parks and gravelled paths and my mtb feels steady on it.
- my mtb is red! zoom!
- I can go offroad, and ride trails with my friends...I don't do this often though
- it'd keep some money in my bank account
- I honestly don't need to go that fast. Maybe it's all in my head, but i feel safer on my steady and heavy bike.

On the Yay side!
- my mtb is heavy and slow. I envy roadies that speed past me.
- maybe an easier ride will motivate me to ride further distances just for fun. The Niagara wine region is really pretty in the summer and it'd be neat to take a day trip by bike a few times this year (about 20km away one way).
- if I just buy slicks for my mountain bike, i'd have to change them every time I want to do trail riding. (??) This way I can keep my mtb as a dedicated trail bike.
- the Kona Dew Plus looks like candy. Mmmm.
- The Kona Smoke comes equipped with fenders already.

Anyway, this is what I would need in a new bike:

- Inexpensive. I'm not going to even look at anything over $600, I'd just rather keep using my old bike.
- Commuter friendly. Racks and fenders will be nice.
- must be able to go over gravel paths, twigs, pine needles, stuff like that. The side streets I commute through have lots of trees.
- Needs to be easier to ride and maybe faster than my Hahanna. I'd like to travel longer distances for fun and excercise.

BTW I am giving up my gym membership to afford this bike. Gym membership = $400/year, indoors, full of sweaty people, schedules, yada yada vs. getting my excercise outside and seeing new things.

That's my post! Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-08-08, 02:31 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
You can roll gravel trails on a pair of big apples just fine. I would swap knobby mtn bike tires for a pair of those, keep the current bike and wait for the next bike until you don't need to cap yourself at 6 Cs whether from increased savings or decreased debt or whatever...

although if your current bike is full suspension I might bite the bullet after all...

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 03-08-08 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 02:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My current bike has front suspension. The sensible side of me says you're probably right. If I just swap out the tires, maybe it'll help with the longer trips. I do like the idea of a lighter bike though.
Old 03-08-08, 03:28 PM
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grasshoppa...

You must focus on your goal. Continue to ride your hoopty untill you have your debt paid off! Immagine being able to buy a high-speed carbon fiber ride ..... How far do you have to go? Do you have a plan on getting free and clear? MS Money can calculate it for you.... A plan is better than just paying stuff off.

JMHO

Billy
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-08-08, 03:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep.. i have a plan. It's a pretty aggressive one which leaves me with virtually nothing for happy-fun-times. However, a new bike would probably set me only a month, two months behind, that is if i do the less than $600 option. I'm not in any financial trouble really, but it'd be nice having a 0 balance credit card, if you know what i mean.
Old 03-08-08, 03:54 PM
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your time frame? More than a year, and I might consider it (if your current ride is getting ragged)... if less, I wouldnt break faith with the plan.

JMHO

Billy
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-08-08, 04:35 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I agree w/ ddm, stick w/ the paydown plan. Both my bikes are pushing 40# though so what do I know about wanting a light one.
Old 03-08-08, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Does it has to be a new roadbike? Have you checked CL in your area for a nicely kept older/vintage roady?

I got this from CL for $275 a couple months ago. Full DuraAce component.

There are good ones out there just be patient. Unless you just gotta have a new one...

P.S.
I too, vote to take care of your debt first.

Last edited by DVC45; 03-12-08 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Beater Managerie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe a 2nd wheelset with slicks.
Old 03-08-08, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto Junkdad. You can get a 2nd set of wheels with slick tires for pretty cheap (maybe 120- or so), pay pff your debts, then in a year assess your commuting needs/desires and buy something applicable.

In today's debt/equity environment, this may be your most sensible option. OTOH, Konas are sweet.
Old 03-08-08, 09:29 PM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd wait. With a short commute, the MTB gets the job done well enough. Just get new tires, and continue to pay down debt.

And keep an eye out for garage sales and on CL. I scored my current ride at a garage sale for $5. Nope, doesn't fit too well--but it's not too bad for sub-20 mile rides. Maybe you can find some used ones cheap that'll do similar.
Old 03-08-08, 09:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks. You guys are much more grounded than I am, I appreciate your honesty . Even though I'm trying to save money, I'm a consumer at heart. The Kona's attracted me, not just because they were in-expensive, but I'm big on the way they look. They *look* fun. Is it weird to be attracted to a bike just for it's looks?

If I stick to the plan, I'll be out of credit card debt in about three months. I'll assess what I need by then.

P.S. I checked on CL and Kijiji.. nothing that popped out at me

Last edited by Bdaisies; 03-08-08 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 11:57 PM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Do the two months, pay the debt. Then do another 4-6 months. At that time, you should have (if I'm right), $1200-$1800 to spend. Then buy something REALLY sweet.
Old 03-09-08, 05:10 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a used commuter bike. Equip it with fenders and racks. Having two bikes is always a good idea.
Old 03-28-08, 12:01 AM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdaisies
Thanks folks. You guys are much more grounded than I am, I appreciate your honesty . Even though I'm trying to save money, I'm a consumer at heart. The Kona's attracted me, not just because they were in-expensive, but I'm big on the way they look. They *look* fun. Is it weird to be attracted to a bike just for it's looks?

If I stick to the plan, I'll be out of credit card debt in about three months. I'll assess what I need by then.

P.S. I checked on CL and Kijiji.. nothing that popped out at me
Have you checked the KJ & CL in Toronto as well seeing as your boyfriend is in Toronto? I noticed you're in St. Cathy's while looking in the commuter bike forum for commuter bikes. T.O is larger then St. Cathy's so you'll get a better hit rate but it all depends on how often you can come over here to check the stuff out. Do you know your sizing? I see you're into the MTB's well you might want to have your boyfriend also check the bikes locally as wellfor your sizing so you have both areas covered.

I'm from T.O and there is a LBS around here called Silent Sports ( www.silentsports.com ) which has 2-3 used bikes sales a year if I recall right (check the site). I've been there twice before. FIrst time was by accident. Second time I had a little more time to look but nothing interested me but I did see a good selection of ladies bikes in reputatable brand names (Specialized, Giant, GT, etc). If I recall right thier bike staff give the bikes a look check before taking in any bikes from sellers on those few days when they take commision sales from people wanting to sell thier bikes and give an estimated value price based on the quality/condition of the bike. There should be one coming up soon.

I noticed in the commuters bike images area that people were talking about the extended seat post of yours. Seeing as you have 3 LBS's around and that I have bought a longer seat stem before from a LBS here the pricing on the stems are ~15-20bucks if I recall right. You can ask at the LBS and they can check thier stock for the right diameter stem for your bike and then saw off the post o the right height for you so you have enough space for the min. insertion and room to move up or go down.

I have to agree with what other people have said here about clearing up the debt first unless you really need that bike to be mobile. Seeing as you already have a working (assuming still working) bike right now but want to go a little faster you could simply just buy new tires with a 'semi-slick' or 'low resistance' tread pattern. Looking at your bike I'm guessing you're running 26" wheels. I use 26"x1.75" Continential Travel Contacts which I bought at MEC for my MTB. I used to ride with knobbies but found I ride a lot on the roads so I wanted something smoother and faster but still have a little grip if I needed to go on the greens.

The tires I mentioned can be pumped up to 80PSI which will make them harder and thus go faster with that smooth center strip of rubber while having a knobby grips on the side of the tires to give you extra grip when you're making turns. I've been able to go ~32-34kph on the flats with those tires.

If you don't want to change the tires all the time (tho it gives you good practice if you did change it all the time so you can fix flats fast. ) like what someone else suggested you can go to the LBS and buy a cheap set of rims then keep one set of tires as slicks/semi-slicks and the other set as knobbies for trail riding. I recently had to buy a new rim for my bike when I had a tuneup/repair and the Silent Sports (no affiliation with them other then being a customer or get kicks backs from them for mentioning thier store name) charged I think $39/ea for a Mavic 317 26" rim which isn't that bad if I recall the MTBR reviews on it.

- must be able to go over gravel paths, twigs, pine needles, stuff like that. The side streets I commute through have lots of trees.
In my experience that is more tire dependent but that's just my IMHO. I'm sure you're heard of MEC ( www.mec.ca ) and if not you should check it out. Good prices on thier gear/parts. If you're in T.O in the fall you should stop by the one day Bike Show clearance and you can get more bang for your buck on tires and such up to like 60% off. I scored a pair a Continental Twister (I think was the name but I know it's conti's) 26"x2.1" MTB tires for like $20/ea when it's normally like $40ish each.

Conti Travel Contacts

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1206683467380

Conti Security Contact

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1206683834937

1.75" isn't that hard to mount onto the bike.
Old 03-28-08, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It never hurts to be a little slow about rushing in to buy a new toy (kinda like a sports car is a new toy ). If you pay down the debt and wait til Fall or early winter, a lot of this year's models will be on sale. You can do some test rides while you wait so you end up with a clear idea of *exactly* what you want.

If your tires are older, I'd definitely pick up a new set of slicks. That might be all it takes to turn your bike from feeling "slow" to "faster".
Old 03-28-08, 08:32 AM
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep your bike. Get some slicks.
Old 03-28-08, 08:36 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impatient and weak willed. >.<

Since I've made this post, I purchased a Kona Paddy Wagon.

Ok, it may seem like i'm a Kona fan, but that's just what happened to be in stock at the LBS I like doing business with. I was actually looking at the Specialized Dolce road bikes too but decided on getting something closer to my budget.
Old 03-28-08, 09:20 AM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Paddy Wagon is a great bike - nice choice. This is a fiscally irresponsible move, but you'll recover. Personally, I would have gone with a used road bike. They are cheap and last forever...
Old 03-28-08, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fiscally irresponsible? Sounds like my life.

The paddy wagon is also on my short list. I like new bikes.
However, I plan on visiting a couple used bike shops just to see what they have. That is after I heal and the insurance check is here.
My leading candidate:
https://www.feltracing.com/08/product...,1525&pid=8718
Old 03-28-08, 09:38 AM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy - fixed / Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdaisies
I'm going back and forth with myself on whether or not to buy a new bike. I know this has been gone over hundreds of times in these forums, so I apologize if it seems redundant. I guess I just need to vent and get advice while I'm at it.

Anyway, my main issue right now is paying down debt and saving up money so I've actually frozen a lot of my own funds so I can't play with it. /cry

However, I'm willing to make a few concessions for a new bike. I've been looking at the Kona Dew or Kona Smoke, both available from my LBS.

Anyway, in point form:

On the Nay side!

- My mountain bike sufficed just fine for the past few years
- my daily travel isn't that far at all (5km round trip)
- I go through parks and gravelled paths and my mtb feels steady on it.
- my mtb is red! zoom!
- I can go offroad, and ride trails with my friends...I don't do this often though
- it'd keep some money in my bank account
- I honestly don't need to go that fast. Maybe it's all in my head, but i feel safer on my steady and heavy bike.

On the Yay side!
- my mtb is heavy and slow. I envy roadies that speed past me.
- maybe an easier ride will motivate me to ride further distances just for fun. The Niagara wine region is really pretty in the summer and it'd be neat to take a day trip by bike a few times this year (about 20km away one way).
- if I just buy slicks for my mountain bike, i'd have to change them every time I want to do trail riding. (??) This way I can keep my mtb as a dedicated trail bike.
- the Kona Dew Plus looks like candy. Mmmm.
- The Kona Smoke comes equipped with fenders already.

Anyway, this is what I would need in a new bike:

- Inexpensive. I'm not going to even look at anything over $600, I'd just rather keep using my old bike.
- Commuter friendly. Racks and fenders will be nice.
- Needs to be easier to ride and maybe faster than my Hahanna. I'd like to travel longer distances for fun and excercise.

BTW I am giving up my gym membership to afford this bike. Gym membership = $400/year, indoors, full of sweaty people, schedules, yada yada vs. getting my excercise outside and seeing new things.

That's my post! Thanks in advance for the help!
KHS Urban X. Aluminum frame, steel fork - comes with fenders and a rack - $359.00. KHS makes a good product I've had a KHS MTB for years. The Urban X would be perfect. Quality, reliability, utility and fast enough, too.
Old 03-28-08, 09:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe

The Paddy Wagon is a great bike - nice choice. This is a fiscally irresponsible move, but you'll recover. Personally, I would have gone with a used road bike. They are cheap and last forever...
Yeah, this sets me back about a month. I like to think of it as "supporting local economy". Yeah. That's it.
Old 03-28-08, 09:43 AM
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
+1 on keeping the current ride. I'm in the same basic situation (trying to get out of debt, wanting to commute to save on gas money, deciding on a bike, yadda yadda yadda). I decided to just upgrade my current bike with some drop bars (which means all sorts of new stuff) and rigging with enough lights to make it look like Times Square on New Year's Eve (or at least a fraction thereof). Only problem for me is that I need to get my bike on the road soon or else I'll never get my body adjusted to the climate before it gets unbearably hot and stifling down here. (And being a Michigan native, I will say that I envy the more enjoyable summers in my native state than what we get here on the Gulf Coast and I do miss cross country skiing in the winter. )

Good luck and ride safe.
Old 03-28-08, 11:39 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See, now that you bought a Paddy Wagon, you gotta post pics. That's how it works. Is it fixed or free?

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-28-08, 11:53 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will. I need some nice scenery first though.

And it's fixed. Everything is stock right now, and as i ride it i'll decide if i need anything else.