Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle Champion Mondial 1974

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 02:39 AM
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, it looks like I just committed to purchasing this bike. I know nothing about Gazelles but I do know that the Champion Mondial was the top tier bike. This one is located in Europe. Just curious to know if it's indeed a Champion Mondial. The sellers states that it's a 1974. The entire bike is made of Reynolds 531. For the price I'm paying, just the parts are worth it. But I intend to keep it as is??? Here are the specs as per the seller. I read on a post here that most Gazelles had various components put on them since they were sold as both frame sets and complete bikes and that complete bikes were equipped with zeus parts. It looks really nice except for a few spots of rust that should be easy to take care of. Just when I was about to start on the Colnago I get lucky with this one.

Reynolds 531 steel tubing (lugged)
Pale blue, original decals
Frame Size: Seat Tube 58cms
"Centre to centre" 56cms
Top Tube (crossbar) 55.5cms
Standover 82cms
Wheelbase 101cms
REAR DROPOUTS: Campagnolo
FORKS: Reynolds 531

HEADSET: Camapgnolo
STEM: Pivo
HANDLEBARS: Pivo

BRAKE LEVERS: Campagnolo
BRAKES: Campagnolo

CRANKSET: Shimano Dura-Ace
CHAINRINGS: 42-52 (double)
CASSETTE: 7-speed road (14-25)

FRONT MECH: Huret
REAR MECH: Suntour V-Luxe

GEAR LEVERS: Suntour

HUBS: Suntour Superbe Pro
QR LEVERS Campagnolo
WHEELS: Mavic Reflex SUP

SADDLE: Cinelli Unicanitor Suede
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gazelle.jpg (91.8 KB, 182 views)
gazelle2.jpg (94.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 03-07-08, 02:45 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,070 Times in 792 Posts
I think you're going to be very happy with it, just fix those handlebars!
Old 03-07-08, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
oh man...

Great, now I want a pale blue Gazelle.

Very sweet ride and one of my favorite headbadges around.
Old 03-07-08, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
also...

Hmm....

I'm maybe track down some Campy shift levers. Y'know....fer class.
Old 03-07-08, 10:04 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Parts certainly look like a mix-n-match setup, but a servicable one. I love the ride of my Gazelle (79ish). Appears that you have what they called the A-B frame, same as mine. That is if they were making more than one version of the Champion Mondial that early, I'm no expert. s70rguy is the one to ask for details on Gazelles.
Old 03-07-08, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Parts certainly look like a mix-n-match setup, but a servicable one. I love the ride of my Gazelle (79ish). Appears that you have what they called the A-B frame, same as mine. That is if they were making more than one version of the Champion Mondial that early, I'm no expert. s70rguy is the one to ask for details on Gazelles.
Jon, your bike is a 79!? I always thought you had a mid to late 80s bike.
Old 03-07-08, 12:26 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Jon, your bike is a 79!? I always thought you had a mid to late 80s bike.
Fairly sure it's a late 70's to early 80's. By the mid 80's there were some changes to the fork, cable routing and such. Also I believe the paint job is of the Dutch National Junior's team from the late 70's to early 80's. I keep meaning to check the serial number and have s70rguy reference it for me. He sold me the frame, and what I know about the frame as it is comes from him.
Old 03-07-08, 02:01 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are the differences in frames...ie A-B AA?? I will post more pics once I pick it up on Monday.
Old 03-07-08, 02:16 PM

Fairly sure it's a late 70's to early 80's. By the mid 80's there were some changes to the fork, cable routing and such. Also I believe the paint job is of the Dutch National Junior's team from the late 70's to early 80's. I keep meaning to check the serial number and have s70rguy reference it for me. He sold me the frame, and what I know about the frame as it is comes from him.
Does the drive side DO have porta catena holes? I would say 1982 or later...

The recessed brake mounting, along with under the BB cable routing and 80s 531 decal all point to a later date. Not that I know what much... Just from looking around after I got mine and from what I think I have learned.... mine is an 81... as butterfly bridge and over the BB cable routing... which are all older features and it has the 531 on an angle decal.
Old 03-08-08, 03:14 AM
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gr23932
Well, it looks like I just committed to purchasing this bike. I know nothing about Gazelles but I do know that the Champion Mondial was the top tier bike. This one is located in Europe. Just curious to know if it's indeed a Champion Mondial. The sellers states that it's a 1974. The entire bike is made of Reynolds 531. For the price I'm paying, just the parts are worth it. But I intend to keep it as is??? Here are the specs as per the seller. I read on a post here that most Gazelles had various components put on them since they were sold as both frame sets and complete bikes and that complete bikes were equipped with zeus parts. It looks really nice except for a few spots of rust that should be easy to take care of. Just when I was about to start on the Colnago I get lucky with this one.

Reynolds 531 steel tubing (lugged)
Pale blue, original decals
Frame Size: Seat Tube 58cms
"Centre to centre" 56cms
Top Tube (crossbar) 55.5cms
Standover 82cms
Wheelbase 101cms
REAR DROPOUTS: Campagnolo
FORKS: Reynolds 531

HEADSET: Camapgnolo
STEM: Pivo
HANDLEBARS: Pivo

BRAKE LEVERS: Campagnolo
BRAKES: Campagnolo

CRANKSET: Shimano Dura-Ace
CHAINRINGS: 42-52 (double)
CASSETTE: 7-speed road (14-25)

FRONT MECH: Huret
REAR MECH: Suntour V-Luxe

GEAR LEVERS: Suntour

HUBS: Suntour Superbe Pro
QR LEVERS Campagnolo
WHEELS: Mavic Reflex SUP

SADDLE: Cinelli Unicanitor Suede
So it was you that got this bike from Belgium!

And of course its a Champion Mondial, it says so on the tt, plus only Champion Mondials have full 531 DB tubing. I even think in the early - mid-70s there were no models like Trim Trophy, with lower specced frames.
This is clearly early to mid 70s! clamp-on everything! Brakecable clips, gearlevers clamp-on, and, I cant see it clearly, but looks like clamp-on cable guides on the bb shell too. Even the Pivo stem spells early 70s.
I bet it just says 'Gazelle' on the chainstays, not 'A-frame', which designation came a bit later (77, 78 I think).
Check your frame number (once you have the frame/bike), I bet it starts with '2'. About a year ago I posted on Rini Wagtmans 70 or 71 TdF Gazelle teambike, and its frame number. Check it out!

Plus: if you look at the geometry: longish chainstays (quite some clearance between tire and seattube) and very short toptube re. the frame size. 70s!

Last edited by s70rguy; 03-08-08 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 10:07 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Does the drive side DO have porta catena holes? I would say 1982 or later...

The recessed brake mounting, along with under the BB cable routing and 80s 531 decal all point to a later date. Not that I know what much... Just from looking around after I got mine and from what I think I have learned.... mine is an 81... as butterfly bridge and over the BB cable routing... which are all older features and it has the 531 on an angle decal.
Now you're gonna make me climb under the bike and find the serial number.

edit: Ok, serial number on mine is: 3277792

If it is later 80's then the 86 Super Record group on it is a bit more fitting.
Old 03-08-08, 12:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by s70rguy
So it was you that got this bike from Belgium!

And of course its a Champion Mondial, it says so on the tt, plus only Champion Mondials have full 531 DB tubing. I even think in the early - mid-70s there were no models like Trim Trophy, with lower specced frames.
This is clearly early to mid 70s! clamp-on everything! Brakecable clips, gearlevers clamp-on, and, I cant see it clearly, but looks like clamp-on cable guides on the bb shell too. Even the Pivo stem spells early 70s.
I bet it just says 'Gazelle' on the chainstays, not 'A-frame', which designation came a bit later (77, 78 I think).
Check your frame number (once you have the frame/bike), I bet it starts with '2'. About a year ago I posted on Rini Wagtmans 70 or 71 TdF Gazelle teambike, and its frame number. Check it out!

Plus: if you look at the geometry: longish chainstays (quite some clearance between tire and seattube) and very short toptube re. the frame size. 70s!
It were your posts that I learned that Dutch racers used various components. When are going to put the third in-depth installment? I saw your gallery of bikes and your superstream is awesome along with all the others. I also have a Paganini that was made for Plum Vainqueur's bike shop. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/377127-paganini-supercorsa.html
Once the bike is in my hands I'll check the serial number and post many pics. There is a Gazelle track bike for sale also; full Reynolds 531, but since I'm planning on going to see Mexico in England, I'm going to have to pass on it.
Attached Images
piste.jpg (60.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-08-08, 01:01 PM

It were your posts that I learned that Dutch racers used various components. When are going to put the third in-depth installment? I saw your gallery of bikes and your superstream is awesome along with all the others. I also have a Paganini that was made for Plum Vainqueur's bike shop. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=377127
Once the bike is in my hands I'll check the serial number and post many pics. There is a Gazelle track bike for sale also; full Reynolds 531, but since I'm planning on going to see Mexico in England, I'm going to have to pass on it.
okay where exactly is this bike for sale? ebay? link please!
Old 03-09-08, 05:27 AM
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Now you're gonna make me climb under the bike and find the serial number.

edit: Ok, serial number on mine is: 3277792

If it is later 80's then the 86 Super Record group on it is a bit more fitting.
My (educated) guess: 82 or 83.
Old 03-09-08, 09:11 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

My (educated) guess: 82 or 83.
Thanks Still under the CR cut off so I can still show my face over there.
Old 03-10-08, 10:48 AM
presto, pronto, prego!

This weekend I acquired a 73 or 74 Gazelle Champion Mondial. it has a patent 73 Campagnolo Record rear derailleur, so that makes it a 73 or 74 I guess. furthermore, it has full clamp-on stuff, down to the gearcable guides on the bb shell. And surprise, the lugs have no cutouts! They are Bocama's, like all Champion Mondial's, but these are a bit shorter, and without the cutouts.
I checked the earlier Rini Wagtmans bike (the pics I have of course, not the bike itself), and his bike has the cutouts. So its not a development thing, just possibly cost cutting at that stage.

Framenumber is 3170463, so that may be a reference for the 74 Gazelle that started this thread. I'll take pics when the weather clears up a bit!
Old 03-10-08, 01:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This weekend I acquired a 73 or 74 Gazelle Champion Mondial. it has a patent 73 Campagnolo Record rear derailleur, so that makes it a 73 or 74 I guess. furthermore, it has full clamp-on stuff, down to the gearcable guides on the bb shell. And surprise, the lugs have no cutouts! They are Bocama's, like all Champion Mondial's, but these are a bit shorter, and without the cutouts.
I checked the earlier Rini Wagtmans bike (the pics I have of course, not the bike itself), and his bike has the cutouts. So its not a development thing, just possibly cost cutting at that stage.

Framenumber is 3170463, so that may be a reference for the 74 Gazelle that started this thread. I'll take pics when the weather clears up a bit!
Thanks for that update. I did not get that bike today because the weather was really crappy here. Lots of wind and rain. I'll post pics tomorrow once I get it. So...what color is it? Also, where in Rotterdam do you live? The wife and I always go there to shop but the real reason I go to Rotterdam is so I can go eat at the Poffertjessalon. Those things are addictive. Also, I love the fried fish they sell in the market across from Cube houses on weekends.
Old 03-10-08, 01:40 PM
presto, pronto, prego!

Thanks for that update. I did not get that bike today because the weather was really crappy here. Lots of wind and rain. I'll post pics tomorrow once I get it. So...what color is it? Also, where in Rotterdam do you live? The wife and I always go there to shop but the real reason I go to Rotterdam is so I can go eat at the Poffertjessalon. Those things are addictive. Also, I love the fried fish they sell in the market across from Cube houses on weekends.
The colour of my new Gazelle is metallic green, maybe I should call it 'forest green'. I live in the eastern part of Rotterdam, not far from the Kralingse Zoom subway station. Come by and visit when you're in the neigborhood!
Old 03-10-08, 02:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The colour of my new Gazelle is metallic green, maybe I should call it 'forest green'. I live in the eastern part of Rotterdam, not far from the Kralingse Zoom subway station. Come by and visit when you're in the neigborhood!
Cool. But I will undoubtedly need my tomtom to help me navigate there. Also, I hope you don't mind kids as my two little ones always go with us when we travel. We'll have to set something up most definitely.
Lates!
Old 03-10-08, 02:39 PM
presto, pronto, prego!

Cool. But I will undoubtedly need my tomtom to help me navigate there. Also, I hope you don't mind kids as my two little ones always go with us when we travel. We'll have to set something up most definitely.
Lates!
Kids are nice! Next week Im going abroad, to warmer climes, and amongst other activities, ride a 83 Rossin there. Back mid april; send me a pm then, and we'll set something up.
Old 03-10-08, 04:35 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Tease!