Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

The Nastiest Thing That Flew In Your Mouth

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 11:22 AM
Amish Warrior

Bikes: '05 Santa Cruz Chameleon, '06 Voodoo Erzulie SS, '87 Schwinn LeTour Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few weeks back I was riding a local trail. My mouth was partially open and something very large smacked my lower lip pretty hard. Fortunately, it bounced off, but it left me thinking about what could've happened. Was it a bumblebee? Dragonfly? Beetle? I don't know, but I'm glad it didn't end up in my mouth. I kept my mouth shut for the remainder of the ride, and pondered how many unfortunate souls weren't as lucky as me.

What's the nastiest, biggest, and/or grossest thing that's ever flown into your mouth on a ride?
Old 01-06-08, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1970's Miyata Liberty ala fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cow poo. I didn't see the patty, luckily not too fresh, in the middle of the trail and somehow my tire slung it up. I spit it out before I could taste anything though. Nobody likes to eat poo. Okay, some people might...
Old 01-06-08, 11:36 AM
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
Last year I was riding my road bike, and some big insect flew into my mouth. I spit it out reflexively, and it hit my arm and stung me, because it was a honeybee.

Glad it didn't sting me inside my mouth.

Riding third in a pace line of three riders, and the rider in front of me screamed and veered out of line. Seems that the guy in front of him had farted, and the unfortunate second rider had inhaled the entire gaseous product before it had time to dilute itself with surrounding air.
Old 01-06-08, 11:43 AM
SwampFox

Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
Last year I was riding my road bike, and some big insect flew into my mouth. I spit it out reflexively, and it hit my arm and stung me, because it was a honeybee.

Scary thought!

I had a nice mouthful of nasty pond water, I falling into it it
Old 01-06-08, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't get stung in the mouth, but I was out on the roadie and a bee flew into my stomach and got tangled in my jersey. I got stung right in my gut, and the resulting sting swelled up and ended up being about the size of a silver dollar. That hurt. It was probably a hornet or wasp. I never saw, just felt it.
Old 01-06-08, 12:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i normally go bike riding at night down by the lake in the summer just so i can ride really fast with my mouth open into the nat fields that fly around..
Old 01-06-08, 12:33 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mud doesnt bug me to much, just spit it out and rinse with water lol.
I had what i thought was a dragonfly a while back hit my mouth.

^and yes nats and flies suck.

I like it when im riding fast and i see a bug of somesort like a be comming at me, i pint my head down and it bounces off my helment LOL, you just hear, Smack!
Old 01-06-08, 12:52 PM
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Road bike: It's a tie between a fine mist of rain soaked road crud (oil, metals, rubber dust, deer carcass), and piss. During a stage race, a team mate of mine couldn't hold it, so he went. In front of me. At 48 mph going down a pass.

Mountain bike: A wasp that flew into my mouth... Stinging my lower lip on the way out.
Old 01-06-08, 01:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Horse and cow poop. Both have been launched directly into my mouth from the front tire and kicked up on a water bottle or bite valve and I took a drink without noticing.

On a side note... I now think horses should be required to wear poo catch bags on all multi-use trails.

I also rode down a big grass hill and through a field on my undergrad campus only to be completely covered by goose turds. I think they're nastier than horse or cow, but none got in my mouth.
Old 01-06-08, 01:57 PM
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bugs.
Old 01-06-08, 02:53 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Bikes: One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhattTyre
On a side note... I now think horses should be required to wear poo catch bags on all multi-use trails.

That's a prime idea, especially on multi-use trails.
Old 01-06-08, 05:30 PM
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bugs, delicious bugs.
Old 01-06-08, 07:45 PM
Ride bike or bike ride?

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've crashed into a mud patch that wsa full of liquified cow patties and pesticides and fertillizer, that got into my mouth, damn face plants.

I've had a bee get into my full face helmet while on a DH run, that was not cool, thankgod for goggles and closed mouth, it only got my neck.

I work in outback Australia and there are so so so so many flies, you cannot comprehend how many there are. It is a good day if you only eat 2. It's pretty common to have them go up your nose then spit them out of your mouth or in mouth out nose. Either way it isn't the most pleasent experience.
Old 01-06-08, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000zx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This didn't happen while biking (yeah I know a little off topic), but I was halibut fishing in Alaska and ended up with raw fish brains projected into my mouth. This occurred because when a large halibut is caught (like 160 pounds large) the fishing guide will use a gun to kill the fish before it is brought on board. When the guide went to shot this fish, I happened to be leaning over the side rail starring with my mouth agape, and the bullet caused some fish bits to explode in every direction. Long story short, raw fish brains taste pretty damn good
Old 01-08-08, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dog crap once

last summah a bee got in my mouth and stung me at the back
of my mouth. what an experience. I finished riding another 16
miles with my head throbbing...weird.

in some strange way I felt
that all bikers should experience that feeling at least once
Old 01-08-08, 01:31 PM
It's not easy being green

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bee.

Stung me at the back of my throat. I spit out the bug, went home and pulled out the stinger with a pair of tweezers, a mirror and a flashlight.

My head hurt for a while, but fortunately I'm not allergic.

Very fortunate.
Old 01-08-08, 01:53 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper
It's pretty common to have them go up your nose then spit them out of your mouth or in mouth out nose.
Eewwwwwwwwwww! Back of my mouth tickles just thinking about it.
Old 01-08-08, 02:45 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cow poop FTW. We were riding a trail through ranching country, and the cows must have gotten hold of some bad burritos or something. At first I thought it was just a muddy creek following down the singletrack, but then I took off my sunglasses and looked at the colour - green like grass. It was in our hair, all over our bikes and gear. There wasn't even a pond to jump into at the end. We drove back from the trailhead with all the windows down and our heads outside the car.
Old 01-08-08, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squirrel guts.

On a road ride and was mid-pack when I see a suicidal squirrel dart directly into the guy in front of me's tire. I was covered head to toe is guts. Somebody driving by thought I'd crashed because I was bloody.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 01-08-08, 03:14 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bee, which stung, causing a massive lower lip and left side of face. I was the butt of many jokes at school the next day (and that week).
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 01-08-08, 10:42 PM

Bikes: old Mongoose, very abused on trails, getting a new bike summer '08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These stories are hilarious! Thankfully nothing more than bugs in my mouth so far. True story... was on a paved biking trail one day and some a-hole was drafting off me forever... he was really ticking me off, so I blew my nose really hard, one nostril style, I'm sure he got a mouthful, because he dropped way back after that! HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-08, 09:14 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Jon hocking a loogie on the wrong side and getting me. YESINTHEMOUTH. That was hella nasty.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-09-08, 09:30 AM
BFG
Just say no to brakes.

Bikes: All the TGMBG mums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper
I've crashed into a mud patch that wsa full of liquified cow patties and pesticides and fertillizer, that got into my mouth, damn face plants.

I've had a bee get into my full face helmet while on a DH run, that was not cool, thankgod for goggles and closed mouth, it only got my neck.

I work in outback Australia and there are so so so so many flies, you cannot comprehend how many there are. It is a good day if you only eat 2. It's pretty common to have them go up your nose then spit them out of your mouth or in mouth out nose. Either way it isn't the most pleasent experience.
I had a bull ant crawl into my nether regions once down a run. Crap! It hurt, and left a little red mark for about 3 weeks. Should have started a thread.

Mind if i ask where you work in said outback? I agree on the flies too. It might be your average outback local attracting them, but thats just my opinion.
Old 01-09-08, 09:34 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5497 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Riding third in a pace line of three riders, and the rider in front of me screamed and veered out of line. Seems that the guy in front of him had farted, and the unfortunate second rider had inhaled the entire gaseous product before it had time to dilute itself with surrounding air.
I don't see how people can ride the back of a tandem.
Old 01-15-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Specialized SIrrus with Impaling device on front, Giant Iguana with hyperspace & cloaking device

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is hilarious !!! I just cross-posted this in the touring bike forums, there must be a good story or three there.

thanks to andrefulci for this amusing thread!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.