Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello in the trash - ID help

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-22-07, 06:02 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Howdy folks. I found this Pinarello in the trash covered in DIY paint and stickers. Ugh. I need one more round of citrus strip to get all the gunk off but I think it's metal enough to ask for some help with the ID. No chrome and no pantos on the seat stays were the only things I could find different from an initial cursory comparison with pics I saw of older Pinarellos. Also looks like there's thin bands of braze around the fork arms where they meet the crown (or where I'm used to seeing lugs).

https://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...hmal/pinarello

And if in the process of examining the pics you take an interest, I'm going to be looking to trade this fella for a similar class bike but in something larger. This is 58 and I'm a 60+.

Appreciative of any wise observations. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pin_hangerpanto.jpg (47.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-22-07, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jebensch
Howdy folks. I found this Pinarello in the trash covered in DIY paint and stickers. Ugh. I need one more round of citrus strip to get all the gunk off but I think it's metal enough to ask for some help with the ID. No chrome and no pantos on the seat stays were the only things I could find different from an initial cursory comparison with pics I saw of older Pinarellos. Also looks like there's thin bands of braze around the fork arms where they meet the crown (or where I'm used to seeing lugs).

https://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...hmal/pinarello

And if in the process of examining the pics you take an interest, I'm going to be looking to trade this fella for a similar class bike but in something larger. This is 58 and I'm a 60+.

Appreciative of any wise observations. Thanks.
It looks to have been a blue sometime in the '80's model. NOT a Montello. Check out this page of catalogues.
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/
Old 12-22-07, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
80s

Looks almost like a ringer for that 87 Veneto except it looks like a clamp on derailleur on the seat tube. Did they add a hanger in a subsequent year?

Was Veneto the entry-level Pin?
Old 12-23-07, 02:41 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Treviso or Cadore?
Old 12-23-07, 11:57 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
that looks to me to be a treviso, or maybe a veneto - sorta hard to call based on the lack of nearly everything...okay, it is a tre cime cadore, based on the fork crown and those seat stay caps. Those are pretty unique to this bike, I think. It is, as all Pinarello's are, a good one, and shouldn't have been pitched. There are several places that you can get replacement decals; and you should probably try to push it back to that original blue (white undercoat, as I'm sure you've already seen).
Old 12-24-07, 08:54 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
chrome?

Thanks Luker. The caps n fork crown definitely seem to be on par with the Tre Cime, but what about the chromed chain stay? My frame doesn't have any chrome on it anywheres (sigh).

It definitely looks to be the Cadore frame which they used in a few models I guess. And oh yes - it did have a white undercoat that's been particularly stubborn during paint stripping. I was getting all psyched to bring this back with stickers and all, but I've since decided to try and trade for a frame more my size before I get all attached to this too small 58cm. That said I got realllly excited when I could see the Pinarello logo stuck into the white undercoat, fighting to stay on the tube.
Old 12-24-07, 12:22 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I dunno about the chrome...the later Treviso's are the only ones that I know had no chrome, but it could be a mid-year change, or maybe someone stripped the chrome and painted the stay or something.

it is not quite my size either, and I don't have anything larger to trade...it is certainly worth saving, though. It is my contention that there just weren't any bad pinarellos... least I've never ridden one.