Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm a broke student and mechanic and I can't find a <$250 track frame

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 09:55 PM
ride

Bikes: iro / bianchi / soma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I recently started working as a mechanic at a small bike shop in Brooklyn, and I love the job - only problem is, I don't have a bike! Mine was stolen in September. But that's okay, because since then I've learned tons about bikes and about what I want, and I don't want to ride that crappy mountain bike anymore anyway.

I'm on a tight budget so I'd like to build a fixed-gear bike right after the holiday, when I'll have a little more cash on hand. I also want to spent some quality time on a fixed-gear bike, and see how I like the experience - I rode a really nice fixie setup on a sexy De Bernardi frame and I liked it, a lot.

But I can't find a good frame for a good price. I really like the Fetish Attack frame (link), but that's $499 (I also don't love the integrated headset) (but I do love the black). Being that I don't have that much money and that I really just need a bike (and want to build one), does anyone have any recommendations on a good (hopefully light and strong) frame I can get for about $250? I'm open to all sorts of ideas.

I have been looking on eBay and craigslist, but maybe I'm just missing all the good deals.

I also was thinking of getting a Specalized Langster (the Chicago) at wholesale and selling the wheels, then using the rest as a starting point.

Thanks in advance - I appreciate the input.

Alheim
Old 12-02-07, 10:12 PM
ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - I just found the 'A discussion of budget fixed-specific frames/complete bikes' thread in the Singlespeed & Fixed Gear forum. What a help.
Old 12-02-07, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Specialized Tri-Cross Pro, GT Avalanche, Hofffman Dirty 30 BMX, Specialized Crossroads Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The langster is cool. Have you seen the seattle edition or the New York in Yellow. I definately think you should wholesale the wheels. They look cool but they are heavy.
Old 12-02-07, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts
Moved to SS\FG at OP's Request

Old 12-02-07, 10:30 PM
Tarck bike dot com

Bikes: Fuji tarck '08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there any "Re-Cyclers" in Bronx?
Old 12-02-07, 10:32 PM
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ebay, craigslist....the stuff is there, it just takes a little work, little patience, too.
Old 12-02-07, 10:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No luck getting a decent discount through the shop you work for?
Old 12-02-07, 10:33 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Can't you get prodeals on bikes?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
ebay, craigslist....the stuff is there, it just takes a little work, little patience, too.
You can't get something at shop cost?

You can 1)wait for the Kilo TT frame/fork, 2) scour ebay + craigslist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just sold my KHS Flite 100 frame with a Tange track fork, headset, and stem for $225.00.

Watch craigslist. Watch ebay.
Old 12-02-07, 10:37 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's called an IRO Mark V.
Old 12-02-07, 10:40 PM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the leader 735tr is sweet but it's 250 before shipping and fees and is just the frame, with no fork.

so with that in mind, read the stickied threads.
Old 12-02-07, 10:44 PM
i am batman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alheim
Hey all,

I recently started working as a mechanic at a small bike shop in Brooklyn, and I love the job - only problem is, I don't have a bike! Mine was stolen in September. But that's okay, because since then I've learned tons about bikes and about what I want, and I don't want to ride that crappy mountain bike anymore anyway.

I'm on a tight budget so I'd like to build a fixed-gear bike right after the holiday, when I'll have a little more cash on hand. I also want to spent some quality time on a fixed-gear bike, and see how I like the experience - I rode a really nice fixie setup on a sexy De Bernardi frame and I liked it, a lot.

But I can't find a good frame for a good price. I really like the Fetish Attack frame (link), but that's $499 (I also don't love the integrated headset) (but I do love the black). Being that I don't have that much money and that I really just need a bike (and want to build one), does anyone have any recommendations on a good (hopefully light and strong) frame I can get for about $250? I'm open to all sorts of ideas.

I have been looking on eBay and craigslist, but maybe I'm just missing all the good deals.

I also was thinking of getting a Specalized Langster (the Chicago) at wholesale and selling the wheels, then using the rest as a starting point.

Thanks in advance - I appreciate the input.

Alheim
get whatever you can pro-deal from the shop, seriously.
Old 12-03-07, 07:23 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found Freeze Thaw while I was farting around on these innerwebz last night. Never been there, and I don't need another bike, but I might go check 'em out anyway. They're in PA, apparently, so I dunno if that helps you...
https://www.freezethaw.com
Maybe there's a similar outfit up there in NYC...?
Old 12-03-07, 07:26 AM
Free Loader

Bikes: Trash... for serious.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregtheripper
get whatever you can pro-deal from the shop, seriously.
+aliens. Also, I'm sure that after you work there for a bit, you could build a bike pretty much for free from crap around the shop that is just collecting dust.
Old 12-03-07, 07:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get your Fetish Attack on ebay for $199 + shipping, e.g. https://cgi.ebay.com/07-Fetish-Cycles...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-03-07, 08:03 AM
Balls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mark v = 250 with free shipping
Old 12-03-07, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about selling my mercier kilo tt frameset. Its black, got it a few months brand new ago but never got around to building it up. Still have original box/packaging.

IRO would be good or maybe one of those Leader frames on ebay, they look ok if you get a nice fork. Can't beat the tight geometry on the kilo's though!
Old 12-03-07, 11:58 AM
jooseyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CF4L
+aliens. Also, I'm sure that after you work there for a bit, you could build a bike pretty much for free from crap around the shop that is just collecting dust.
abso-freaking-lutely! Ive built up some pretty ridiculous bikes through employee discounts, crap laying around shops too long, and dumb deals on local forums. If you are looking for a good frame for under $250 (prodeal/employee cost) then you can check the Soma Rush.
Old 12-03-07, 05:29 PM
na975

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Pake= $200.

Old 12-05-07, 12:45 AM
ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found an old abandoned Schwinn frame tonight!! Free!

I went for a run at about 11 tonight, and while I was out I found an old Schwinn frame locked to a pole - missing everything (even the pedals) except for the bent front tire and handbars/stem. I live in the Bronx, so this sort of thing isn't that unusual. I went back to my place, got a gigantic pair of bolt cutters and borrowed my friend's bike, and headed back to the bike (182nd and Webster Ave., if anyone cares, haha). On my way there some undercover cops asked me what I was doing with those huge bolt cutters, and I explained, and they said 'uhh, you can't do that.. but we didn't see you tonight if anyone asks' and left me alone. So I continued back and cut the bike off the pole.

The frame looks pretty straight, and the bottom bracket doesn't look stripped. The paint is in terrible condition but now I've got a old steel frame with a story behind it, and since I'm broke, this is kinda perfect for me right now. It isn't a track frame (it has vertical dropouts), but I can improvise (Sheldon Brown suggests various fixes).

Also, thanks for all the great advice, guys. I'm definitely going to take advantage of all the pro/shop discounts that I can get, which I may have done with the frame, too. But now I have at least $200 more to spend on the other components, which I could swap onto a better, lighter frame one day. I like the IRO frames, the Pake, and the Soma Rush a lot.

My only question now is I'm not sure if a 700c wheel will fit on the bike well. I have a 700c wheel here and I put it up to the crappy, old bent wheel that was on the bike and it seems to be a bit bigger (the old tire is too worn to read the size). What size do you guys think it is?

Thoughts, comments, etc. apprecaited.

I will post a pic of the frame if you are interested!
Old 12-05-07, 12:58 AM
What?

Bikes: 1980s Pinarello Treviso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The old wheel was probably 27". 700c should fit ok, but brake reach may be a problem. I had to get a super long reach tektro r556 brake for my conversion.
Old 12-05-07, 01:27 AM
ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Based
The old wheel was probably 27". 700c should fit ok, but brake reach may be a problem. I had to get a super long reach tektro r556 brake for my conversion.
Wait, but, the 700c rim looked larger. Wouldn't that mean I would need a 'shorter' reach brake?
Old 12-05-07, 07:10 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alheim
Wait, but, the 700c rim looked larger. Wouldn't that mean I would need a 'shorter' reach brake?
700c is definitely smaller than 27". No bones about it. Look at the tires and make sure you know what size both rims are.
Old 12-05-07, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krucial
I was thinking about selling my mercier kilo tt frameset. Its black, got it a few months brand new ago but never got around to building it up. Still have original box/packaging.
What size is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.