Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ok Cannondale aficionados...will their all Alu frames soon disappear ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 09:37 PM
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contemplating picking up a CAAD9 frame and swapping my part over....However, for approx. another $100 I could get a Six3 frame. System Six is way out of my price range so I've been mulling the CAAD9 vs. Six13 and leaning towards the CAAD9. I have read a couple items @ Roadbike Review about corrosion issues at the carbon/alu joints of the Six13....usually the clearcoated models...don't know how much merit to give these stories. In general I have overwhelmingly glowing reports of all the Cannondale frames.

Anyways, like I said I'm leaning towards the CAAD9 because it seems to the best bang for the buck and will leave me some money to upgrade my components. However I seem to sense that Cannondale may eventually move away from aluminum ? ...and somehow buying a frame that may be discontinued soon bothers me....I don't know why....I'll neither defend nor deny the feeling....

Anybody have some thoughts or inside info on this ???
Old 11-29-07, 10:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale has been moving away from alu but it isn't publicly known if they are completely giving up the the material. Either way it shouldn't stop you from buying a CAAD9.
Old 11-29-07, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have to say that of the 5 road frame designs that Cannondale makes, the Six13 is the worst. Heavier than everything else, and not as stiff as any of them, either.

This is coming from a CAAD9 owner who picked a 9 over a Six13.
Old 11-29-07, 10:30 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
I'd have to say that of the 5 road frame designs that Cannondale makes, the Six13 is the worst. Heavier than everything else, and not as stiff as any of them, either.
Ya know, that makes sense, since it seems like the Six13 was their first dabbling with carbon frame parts.

So -- a "9th Revision" aluminum bike, or a "Version 1.0" aluminum-carbon bike? Think of it in computer terms.
Old 11-29-07, 10:32 PM
masher

Bikes: 2005 Tarmac Pro, 2005 Roubaix Pro, 2007 Cannondale Prophet 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale will build what sells and discontinue what doesn't sell. Supply and demand, Business 101.

With that being said, I wouldn't let the fact that a frame I like might be discontinued in the near future stop me from buying it. I agree with Duke of Kent, the Six13 is probably one of their "least desirable" current frames, the whole front end of that bike flexes like overcooked spaghetti (ok, exaggeration, don't shoot me Six13 owners).

If the CAAD9 is the cat's meow to you, buy it, build it and ride it.
Old 11-29-07, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly, no issue with the CAAD9. I recently got to ride one while my LS was out of comission and it rode very nicely.

Originally Posted by Demit
Cannondale has been moving away from alu but it isn't publicly known if they are completely giving up the the material. Either way it shouldn't stop you from buying a CAAD9.
Old 11-29-07, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree with everyone, the caad9 is a great frame. The only advantage of the six13 is that it MAY be a bit more comfy with the carbon tubes, but that being said there have been problems with these frames as you said.

The caad9 is a solid bike, i see no reason not to get one, i BOUGHT one for my dad who is 59 and has no problems, it's comfy, its fast, and it looks damn good. I test rode the caad9 and the six13 on the same day back to back twice each. The caad9 was the winner. I know i should've let my dad ride both but he has no complaints and he didn't want to hassle the bike shop.

Get a caad9 and put dura-ace on it and you're set to go
Old 11-29-07, 11:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe that Cannondale has it's fair share of the aluminum market to warrent production.
Old 11-29-07, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cannondale has taken the place of Klein as the best designer and maker of aluminum frames. Lots of folks, such as Trek, make good carbon frames. So, when it comes to carbon, Cannondale is dealing with a crowded field...in the high end aluminum bike market, Cannondale is "King".

The great majority of bikes sold by Cannondale in 2007 were aluminum...on the order of 90% of sales. Ten years from now, Cannondale will be selling more carbon bikes than today, but in 2017 Cannondale will likely STILL be the "King" of high quality aluminum bikes.
Old 11-29-07, 11:53 PM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why they would consider abandoning Aluminum. They have a pretty large share of the entry level market, and to quit production of a frame that is pretty damn cheap to make just seems like a poor business practice. Not to mention the many people who regard them as great bang for the buck race frames.

Why give up something you've worked hard to build up, and are a major player in, to go back to being a small fish in a big pond?
Old 11-30-07, 12:28 AM
rider of small bicycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Considering the cost of carbon bikes and the popularity of hybrids and cruisers, I'm guessing that the majority of bike sales for all brands are alu. Same probably goes for Cannondale. As Alan indicated, as long as Cannondale is in alu, they will probably continue to make the high end alu frames. BUT ... Tiawan alu for lower end Cannondale bikes is not the same as Bethel alu. So, if the decision is made to move all manufacturing out of the country, Caad frames as we know them could go bye, bye.

I roll with the Caad9 and couldn't be happier. 6 hours in the saddle is comfy (assuming correct tires and pressure) and 60 min crits are nukin'

Pull the trigger.

Mark
Old 11-30-07, 12:47 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
I looked at the Six13 and the CAAD9. The six13 had no real value difference for the price I thought. The frame weighs more and cost more that the CAAD9. I got the CAAD9.

Old 11-30-07, 01:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
I don't know why they would consider abandoning Aluminum. They have a pretty large share of the entry level market, and to quit production of a frame that is pretty damn cheap to make just seems like a poor business practice. Not to mention the many people who regard them as great bang for the buck race frames.

Why give up something you've worked hard to build up, and are a major player in, to go back to being a small fish in a big pond?
+1
Old 11-30-07, 01:32 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still love my CAAD7. In the future I'm gonna keep the frame and upgrade everything else.
Old 11-30-07, 04:29 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've had 2 of the 3 Six/13's but have not had an all aluminum Cannondale since my Optimo. Cannondale wanted me to ride the Six/13 (original) and then I switched to the redesigned version. I am now on a System Six and have been for a little over a year.

The biggest difference is the stiffness of the downtube. Due to the carbon/boron combination, that part of the bike is stiffer than the 9. While a great fan of aluminum, the first thing I noticed on the original Six/13 was the lack of the tinging sound when hitting bumps. I also noted that the carbon took a bit of the edge out of the ride. I didn't dislike that feel with my Optimo, but the Six/13 was more comfortable, to me. If I was still doing crits, I'd get the 9 due to it's cost and lateral stiffness. For longer races and rides, between these two the Six/13 would win for me.

I have switched Cannondale frames every year and on each frame put about 8,500-9,000 miles.

I did have an issue with the clearcoated Six/13, second generation with marring at the joints. We had a couple of customers with that and they, Cannondale, replaced the frames immediately. Warranty.

The new, the latest version of the Six/13 is not manufactured the same way in that they are not interlocking the tubing like they did in the past, or still do on the System Six. Not a big deal, but it helps hold the cost down a bit. If you look at the headtube, you will note that the two badges, where they went into the frame to interlock the tubes are gone and the headtube is one piece of aluminum now.

Bottom line, my guess is that there will be an aluminum frame for some time to come from Cannondale as it gives them an afforbable price point and their aluminum frames are much better than other manufacturer's at about the same price points.

Weight's less of an issue than feel and comfort. There are lighter frames than my System Six (and my previous Six/13), but none won more Pro Tour races so weight's not everything...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
12356_18827_t.jpg (45.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
front_4_30.jpg (30.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by roadwarrior; 11-30-07 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-30-07, 06:11 AM
ultimate cat

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the popular lore of Di Luca winning the Giro on the CAAD8 is that he had tried the Six13 and said "no thanks."

Edit: not Di Luca - I meant Damiano Cunego, who won in 2004.

Last edited by heads up!; 11-30-07 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-30-07, 06:24 AM
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't see why Cannondale would give up a market they've come to dominate any more the the previous posters.

And I wouldn't care too much about a frame being discontinued one way or another. One of my bikes is a Klein Aura, which wound up only being produced for the 2004 market year and then dropped from Klein's lineup. It didn't ride any differently after they discontinued it.
Old 11-30-07, 08:07 AM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heads up!
I believe the popular lore of Di Luca winning the Giro on the CAAD8 is that he had tried the Six13 and said "no thanks."
I missed this story.....

Fill me in
Old 11-30-07, 08:45 AM
ultimate cat

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
I missed this story.....

Fill me in
Sorry, see edit. Di Luca was the 2007 winner, those pics above my post threw me off. It was Damiano Cunego who rode a CAAD8 to win the Giro in 2004. The Six13 was being marketed as the latest and greatest from Cannondale at that time. I'm sure they would have loved to have him on that bike instead of the CAAD8, but that's what he picked.
Old 11-30-07, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is the market. If people stop buying them they will stop making them.
Old 11-30-07, 09:55 AM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cateye
It is the market. If people stop buying them they will stop making them.
I agree with your point however Cannondale can also have an effect by steering the market towards their higher end bikes by down spec'ing the CAAD9. You'll notice that there's no DuraAce option on the CAAD models this year. It's either Tiagra or 105...double or triple, that's it....

The European Cannondale site has a Liquigas CAAD9 that is sweet....an unavailable here...
Old 11-30-07, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dcvelo
I can't see why Cannondale would give up a market they've come to dominate any more the the previous posters.

And I wouldn't care too much about a frame being discontinued one way or another. One of my bikes is a Klein Aura, which wound up only being produced for the 2004 market year and then dropped from Klein's lineup. It didn't ride any differently after they discontinued it.
+1

Go with the Cannondale - I love my CAAD 8. If they discontinue after you buy it, than most likely people will congratulate you on getting one before it was too late. It will be some else's loss, not yours.

(And if you need any adjustments, let me know !)
Old 11-30-07, 04:27 PM
Somewhere in CA

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have a 2006 six13 and a 2007 systemsix. I've ridden many cannondale aluminum frames over the years and recently have had several look frames(481,585,595) a bmc road racer and a cervelo soloist.

I like the cannondales. They aren't as plush as the looks were but man they are stiff and nice riding frames. I especially appreciate the SI bottom bracket. Especially for the money! My next purchase is going to be supersix.

Havent ridden a caad9. I would not buy an 07 or 08 six13 would go with systemsix. however if you can find the 06six 13 with 'racier' geometry I'd go for it!
Old 11-30-07, 05:15 PM
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After seeing the SuperSix I have to say: who cares?
Old 11-30-07, 05:20 PM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
+1

Go with the Cannondale - I love my CAAD 8. If they discontinue after you buy it, than most likely people will congratulate you on getting one before it was too late. It will be some else's loss, not yours.

(And if you need any adjustments, let me know !)
Hi Gabe !

I'm sure I'll be seeing you for adjustments once I get all the parts swapped over...
I'm not going to pull the trigger on this until early next year....once I've recovered from the carnage of the holidays....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.