Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Another diet question from a clyde!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 08:15 PM
~! LIVESTRONG !~

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, this has probably been asked here and in the training and nutrition section many many times, anyways I am looking to change my diet as I know that this is my main issue when it comes to my weight. Anyways I am looking for some information and input from clydes here that may have used the kind of diet I am looking into. Ok here goes....I was told today by a friend that he is on a "High protein Diet". He didn't really go into detail but from what I have read so far is that it is a diet that concists mostly of 3 high protein meals a day. Does anyone know where I can get any more information on this kind of diet, and how to teel if it would be good for me?
Old 11-18-07, 08:17 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
It's called Adkins,or the South Beach Diet, or any one of a bunch of other High Protein/Low carb diets.

First key, keep the hydration very high or you risk Kidney damage. It's effective, but you might feel pretty cruddy for a bit.

First thing I'd also suggest: Lose the word diet Using that word makes it "punishment" Instead, you are making saner life choices.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-18-07, 10:15 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Great discussion here:

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=231402 - Clyde Nutrition and Weight Loss

[Check my sig too - I just organized that whole section and broke it down into a bunch of smaller sections]

It's the year of the enema!
Old 11-19-07, 06:49 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would do some reading before going to a animal protein diet. Don't get me wrong, I still eat meat, but in lower volumes. Increase your fruits and vegetables, whole grains, etc..... That is what is working for me. That and exercise.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 11-19-07, 10:30 AM

Bikes: Jamis XLT 3.0, Trek 1500, Gary Fisher X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High protein diets can lead to rapid weight loss but the backlash can be equally rapid. I would be suspect of any eating plan that denies specific food groups. I believe to be effective a diet plan has to be balanced so Low this High that, no meat, no veggies, all fruit, etc don't give you the balance that you probably need to be effective over the long term. For example I've been working with a nutritionist and I have been finding that my major issue hasn't been what's in my diet but how much has been in my diet. Sure I've had to give up or seriously cut back on a few things (very few actually) but mostly it's been taking a hard look at portion control and eating more small meals. I recommend carefully tracking what and how much you are eating using one of the online tools like Fitday. See where your calories are coming from and see what it takes to change your eating habits. Simple changes like 2% milk (or skim), low fat cheeses, fresh veggies instead of canned, lean cuts of meat can suddenly cut a 1000 calories or more a week out of your diet without really changing much in the taste dept. Also watch those portion sizes. A good example going from a 1/3 pound hamburger with 80%/20% to the same thing in 90/10 saves around 120 calories, cut that back to 1/4 pound of 90/10 saves 180 calories drop the bun save 160 calories, low fat mayo vs real mayo another 60, etc. A few changes like that add some good cardio in and suddenly the weight starts to come off.

Shog
Old 11-19-07, 11:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High Protein/Low Carb diet is ALL about METABOLISM. Period.

First, do NOT do this diet if you're riding regularly. You NEED carbs to build glycogen in your muscles and carbs hold WATER. No, I'm not talking about bloating or water weight, I'm talking about water that you NEED. No carbs = critical dehydration.

Second, again, these kinds of diets are about metabolism, not nutrition, so make sure you're still getting the proper nutrition. And knowing the fundamental about the diet -- metabolism -- means you can modify it for your needs.

For example, diet coke contains no calories, correct? Well, you still need to break down the
coloring in the soda. That requires a very small portion of your metabolism to do it. That tiny portion is then taken away from your maximum about of metabolism used to break down the fat on your body. Drink a couple of liters of diet cola a diet and you won't lose weight as it's taking away from the maximum potential metabolism.

I'm not saying don't drink diet cola, just explaining about metabolism and how even "calorie free" products still inhibit weight loss.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-19-07, 03:26 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chainzawz
Hey guys, this has probably been asked here and in the training and nutrition section many many times, anyways I am looking to change my diet as I know that this is my main issue when it comes to my weight. Anyways I am looking for some information and input from clydes here that may have used the kind of diet I am looking into. Ok here goes....I was told today by a friend that he is on a "High protein Diet". He didn't really go into detail but from what I have read so far is that it is a diet that concists mostly of 3 high protein meals a day. Does anyone know where I can get any more information on this kind of diet, and how to teel if it would be good for me?
The problem with this kind of thing, is that it may be fine for a short period, however it's not sustainable, long term, which means that after a period of time, you need to change your diet again, rather then simply adding some additional things when you get to maintenance mode. You really need to see a nutritionist, then get a full medical checkup, the nutritionist may have some extra blood tests to get some baseline. The nutritionist will then come up with a diet that will work for you, they will also include your exercise level. Really the amount of carbs and nutrients you need to couch surf and the amount of carbs and nutrients you need to ride 10 miles a day are different....
Old 11-19-07, 04:50 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
High Protein/Low Carb diet is ALL about METABOLISM. Period.

First, do NOT do this diet if you're riding regularly. You NEED carbs to build glycogen in your muscles and carbs hold WATER. No, I'm not talking about bloating or water weight, I'm talking about water that you NEED. No carbs = critical dehydration.

No kidding! My fiancee has recently changed to a lower-carb diet, and in support of her efforts I wasn't plowing through high carb stuff either. Except that after a week I was hurting bad: Muscle pain like I was riding a century every day, and I was only doing my 15 mile commute; after a couple days I felt like I just couldn't wake up; and by the end of the week I was just downright irritated with everything. Finally I broke down and bought a box of Good 'n' Plenty candy and within 30 minutes I felt fine. The lower carb diet wasn't enough carbohydrate to keep me fueled properly at all.
Old 11-19-07, 06:41 PM
bfm

Bikes: None currently, fix'n to change though

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little over 3 yrs ago I did the Atkins Plan. If you do this get the book and read it befor starting and I mean from cover to cover. It tells you in the book to get a medical check up,and things to be on the look out for. It also says that this plan may not work for some and is not recommended for others. That is why I say read the book first. Now for me on the plan, I started on March 1, And by Sept. 1 I had lost app. 75lbs.. I did no exercise. The weight loss was the upside, because of no exercise I lost muscle mass. About a year ago I started to gain weight back due to slipping into poor eating habits. Mostly chips and Bluebell, eating out to much etc..
My weight pre Atkins was 275, after 200 to 205. My cholesterol and Blood Pressure have always been good, chol. was around 135, on the diet and a couple of checkups it was at 124 with all else in the normal range. I went from tight 44's to well fitting 36 waist. This was my results, I have known others who had absolutely no luck with it. If you have any questions I will try to ansewer them. I am not a Dr. nor do I play one on T.V., heck, I havnt even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 11-19-07, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have cut way back on carbs, especially the proceessed ones, in the last couple of months and have lost about 15 pounds. I'm one of those people who i believe are really sensitive to the effects of insulin releas. Whether that's inherited or the results of a number of years of stress and over-indulgence, I don't know. I do know that my appetite is much better regulated and I feel better when I forgo bread, pasta, rice, junk food etc. In addition to beef, fish and poultry, I do eat dairy, drink milk and eat fruits and veggies (other than potatoes). That is how I get my carbs and it does seem to work for me. I'm losing slowly but the scale is moving in the right direction, my hunger never gets really out of hand and it feels like a way of eating I can maintain without feeling deprived. YMMV

I found this book (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967145600 ) to be pretty informative regarding low carb dieting for atheletes. MacDonald isn't pro or anti low carb but takes a look at the scientific evidence and goes from there.
Old 11-21-07, 07:52 PM
~! LIVESTRONG !~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys, just noticed that I responded in the other thread thinking it was mine!

Haha, silly me. Anyways thanks, I will have read through the links and check out some of these books.

My bike is currently unrideable as my rims are trashed (long story, basically they are *&^% rims) and I won't be able to get a new set until sometime in December! So I will be getting my custom wheels from

https://www.excelsports.com/

seems like they are a reputable company and I have seen many great reviews on their service.

I just can't wait to get back on the bike!

I have already been off it for almost 3 months!!!
Old 11-24-07, 10:44 AM
Oldster

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on a modified Atkins diet for two periods in the last year. My modification is to have 1-2 pounds of non-starchy frozen vegtables with lean meat and eggs each day. Exersize will easily burn up the the carbs in the vegtables. Last winter I lost 60 pounds. So far this fall, I have lost an additional 42 pounds. Last year I weighed 347 pounds and wore 46-48 inch pants with and without elastic. Now I weight 245 pounds and can wear 36 inch waist jeans. I have not replaced all of my pants but I am using a belt with my still nearly new 40 inch waist pants. When I first started a low carb diet, I was prone to having low blood sugar problems when I got busy, exersized or If I postponed eating. Now I know to have a snack before I get into low sugar trouble. My body has also gotten better at converting the protein to glucose so low sugars occur less often. I have found that it is best to have a snack if you are feeling tired and to have more frequent smaller meals. It is helpful to drink extra water. I have found that sweaty exersize can be more effective than a diuretic in removing excess salt from your body. I no longer need blood pressure medication. My quick food is turkey sausage. It is lean, tasty, low carb, and fast but it is salty. Drink exta water and sweat. I took a 6 month break and relaxed my low carb diet and got in better aerobic shape in the spring and summer. This has helped my weight loss this fall. I have gone off the diet with extra halloween candy and others but can return to my diet and continue to lose weight.
Old 11-28-07, 05:31 PM

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shog
High protein diets can lead to rapid weight loss but the backlash can be equally rapid. Shog
I did the Atkins diet for several months. The weight did come off but once I left the diet, it went back on faster than it came off.

IMHO, it all comes down to calories. Take in less than you are burning and you will loose weight. Simple as that.
Old 11-28-07, 05:34 PM
~! LIVESTRONG !~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I figured that watching calorie intake was the best way to go. Makes the most sense when you think about it. Anyways I am going to go to a nutritionist (since it's covered on my insurace) so I will see what they say. Might as well go to one I suppose since it's paid for.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 11-28-07, 05:44 PM

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I figured that watching calorie intake was the best way to go. Makes the most sense when you think about it. Anyways I am going to go to a nutritionist (since it's covered on my insurace) so I will see what they say. Might as well go to one I suppose since it's paid for.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Well gee, if insurance pays for it by all means. May as well get your monies worth.

Let us know what he/she says.
Old 11-28-07, 09:25 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
thanks guys, just noticed that I responded in the other thread thinking it was mine!

Haha, silly me. Anyways thanks, I will have read through the links and check out some of these books.

My bike is currently unrideable as my rims are trashed (long story, basically they are *&^% rims) and I won't be able to get a new set until sometime in December!
So I will be getting my custom wheels from

https://www.excelsports.com/

seems like they are a reputable company and I have seen many great reviews on their service.

I just can't wait to get back on the bike!

I have already been off it for almost 3 months!!!
OT a bit here...

Excel is definitely reputable. But, there are probably cheaper routes to go. Check online sources like Odds and Endos, or ProbikeKit.com or lickbike. Heck, even Performance has the awesome Mavic Aksium ES's on sale. Check around.