Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

would like opinions of this SS

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 09:45 AM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

I posted this on the "Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!" Sticky, I would like for most to take a look and give honest opinions I can take the bad as long as its not just someone being an ass and downing my bike for some kinda sick personal pleasure its just a simple ss that I use just to get around

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 11-18-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 09:51 AM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not so bad, but I'm tired of looking at it.
Old 11-18-07, 10:08 AM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Originally Posted by Zombie Carl
It's not so bad, but I'm tired of looking at it.
OK, let me rephrase the posting: for those of you that havnt seen it yet I would like an honest opinion I just figured not everyone looks at the "Post Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!" Sticky for those of you that are tired of looking at it please dont look!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 11-18-07, 10:14 AM
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its a pretty ccool bike, im not a fan of colored chains that much, but it works on yours.

Can i come over and play guitar hero 3?
Old 11-18-07, 10:26 AM

Bikes: small Alpha Mercury with flatbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice lever set-up on the flats. Did you keep the levers on the drops just cause you didnt want to retape them? I hear ya...but getting rid of those extra levers would clean up the look of your bike tons.

And speaking of extra things...you might try riding with just a front brake? My SS came with two brakes stock and I took the back one off just to see how it would feel. That was about 2 months ago. Maybe its just placebo, but the back end does feel noticeable lighter and racier? There isnt much more that you can take off the bike, but I -am- a weight freak, and for the simplicity and weight savings, I don't miss the extra stopping. (You might endo just once, though. I did about a week later.)

Aaaanyway, it's just personal preference. I dig the blue chain, tape, and frame though.
Old 11-18-07, 10:32 AM
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, Ilikebikes, please DO NOT take the rear brake off of your SS. you will be/look foolish coasting along without it. thanks.
Old 11-18-07, 10:40 AM
K2ProFlex baby!

I understand the whole "clean bike thing" but Id rather stop in an emergency guess Im just not to secure in my riding skills plus I just had them installed! Im glad to hear you guys like the bike so far
Old 11-18-07, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by time bandit
Um, Ilikebikes, please DO NOT take the rear brake off of your SS. you will be/look foolish coasting along without it. thanks.
Haha yes, listen to the superior reasoning of a senior forum member. "Foolish!"
Old 11-18-07, 10:51 AM
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, at least im not rideing around on a freewheel with no rear brake while everyones snickering at me. go endo into traffic.
Old 11-18-07, 10:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, but I flipped the hub and now I ride fixed with one brake...does that fit into everyone else's expectations of what is and isn't cool? Good, cause yknow...I was so worried about that!

You can't stop faster with two brakes, only safer. And that's not a problem if you know how to brake with the front...I took some lumps for it, only cause some ***** ran a red.
Old 11-18-07, 11:01 AM
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^not saying anything about what is and isnt cool. what is and isnt safe.

you can ride fixed with one brake because you can stop the rear wheel with your legs.
you can ride SS with a front brake because you want to look super fixie cool. get over it. put the back brake back on.

as far as the weight concern goes:
Dude. your riding in the street. not racing or whatever makes you need to shed the <3lbs of rear brake weight.
Old 11-18-07, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by time bandit
you can ride fixed with one brake because you can stop the rear wheel with your legs.
Nice, now I can do it because you said I can.

You know that...the stopping length is...longer for the rear brake than the front brake, right?

Check out this sweet totally to scale diagram:

F------------
R--------------------------------

I'd rather stop with the shorter line, myself. And having the option to stop longer doesn't really appeal to me....since I'll only be using the shortest braking distance I can. Makes sense if I want to stop fast, no?

The only issue is knowing how to brake safely. Once you know how not to endo, there's no difference. But don't take my word for it for I am a lowly street punk:

Originally Posted by sheldonbrown.com
The fastest that you can stop any bike of normal wheelbase is to apply the front brake so hard that the rear wheel is just about to lift off the ground. In this situation, the rear brake cannot contribute to stopping power, since it has no traction.
Old 11-18-07, 11:33 AM
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, note that you should have two brakes if you will be using a freewheel.
sheldonbron.com/fixed.html...scroll down to flip/flop hubs and get your ass handed to you yourself.
Old 11-18-07, 11:37 AM
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look, we can stop this now, cause i really dont give two craps if you ride around like that. but this guys just getting into ss/fg/whatever, and i dont think its very privvy to suggest to other people ways not to be safe. that is all, im done here.
Old 11-18-07, 11:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, I'm getting sick of this. YES, sheldon brown does advise running a front and back brake. In fact, here are the situations he gives where he thinks a rear brake might be important:

When to Use The Rear Brake
Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time, but there are instances when the rear brake is preferred:
  • Slippery surfaces. On good, dry pavement, it is generally impossible to skid the front wheel by braking. On slippery surfaces, however it is possible to do so. It is nearly impossible to recover from a front wheel skid, so if there is a high risk of skidding, you're better off controlling your speed with the rear brake.
  • Bumpy surfaces. On rough surfaces, your wheels may actually bounce up into the air. If there is a chance of this, don't use the front brake. If you apply the front brake while the wheel is airborne, it will stop, and coming down on a stopped front wheel is a Very Bad Thing.
  • Front flat. If you have tire blowout or a sudden flat on the front wheel, you should use the rear brake alone to bring yourself to a safe stop. Braking a wheel that has a deflated tire can cause the tire to come off the rim, and is likely to cause a crash.
  • Broken cable...or other failure of the front brake.
  • Long mountain descents, when your front brake hand may get tired, or you may be at risk of overheating a rim and blowing a tire. For this situation, it is best to alternate between the front and rear brake, but not to use them both at once.
Since my front wheel -did- flat a few times while I was riding freewheel, on the road, and I brought it to a complete stop, and then walked it home, I think it's safe to say having a rear brake wasn't less safe in that situation. But assuming you don't flat, don't have mechanical failures, and don't brake a ton while riding down hills, the front brake is most effective in every other condition. I don't brake over bumpy surfaces cause I've ridden trails before and am also not an idiot (it's not even a good idea to use a REAR brake on bumpy ground...skip city. But of course you know that right?)

So what does that leave us with? The front brake is less effective in the RAIN. Wow, that sounds kind of like all brakes, doesn't it? Maybe that's why I, um...try not to ride in the rain.

Anyhow, I leave you all with this lovely bedtime reading, and encourage you to decide for yourself if you should run a rear brake. Personally, I ride fixed, and since it's acceptable by traditionalists to ride a fixie with only a front brake, I'm in the clear. Phew!

The rear brake is O.K. for situations where traction is poor, or for when your front tire blows, but for stopping on dry pavement, the front brake all by itself provides the maximum stopping power, both in theory and in practice.
Old 11-18-07, 12:02 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Come on guys, I didnt want this to turn into an aguement you like running one brake, the other guy likes two, if it works for you thats all that matters no big deal, evryone has their prefered method, I feel cycling is just like life, you do it your way!
Old 11-18-07, 12:19 PM
Track Tricyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you really need to stop ****ing doing this
Old 11-18-07, 12:43 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Its the way I express my emotions while Im on the comp if you dont like it dont read my post its really as simple as that
Old 11-18-07, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only complaint is that the blue of the beverage doesn't quite match the blue of the frame. Quite a shortcoming on an otherwise fine bike.
Old 11-18-07, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks fine to me (except the welds on the rear dropouts).
Old 11-18-07, 01:23 PM

Bikes: A loaner for now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The brake setup looks like it could be fun on the road. The color scheme doesn't do it for me.
Old 11-18-07, 01:27 PM
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is that the $30 fixed gear off of eBay? If it is, you should post up a review for everyone, because I don't think there is one (a review) out there yet.
Old 11-18-07, 02:28 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

I honestly dont know what type of frame it is, I bought it off of C-List and added saddle, wheelset, bars and in line brakes, please send a link to that "ebay fixed gear" I keep hearing about, Id like to know if it is one
Old 11-18-07, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a Target of X-Mart frame, to be honest. That shouldn't keep you from enjoying it, however.
Old 11-18-07, 02:39 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Not at all I honestly wouldnt care if it was a Huffy.....wait, maybe not a Huffy as long as its a sweet ride Im all over it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.