Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing Rear Rack & Fender - Fenders First?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-06-07, 02:00 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm close to finishing building up a "car replacement / winter" bike, based on a Surly LHT.

It's currently dry here in northern California, and I'm not sure I want to install the fenders before I start using the bike. But, if I install the rack first, will that make it more difficult to install the fenders later on?

The rack is one of the newer Trek "interchange" models, and the fenders are SKS.

Last edited by SSP; 11-06-07 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 04:35 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
I'm close to finishing building up a "car replacement / winter" bike, based on a Surly LHT.

It's currently dry her in northern California, and I'm not sure I want to install the fenders before I start using the bike. But, if I install the rack first, will that make it more difficult to install the fenders later on?

The rack is one of the newer Trek "interchange" models, and the fenders are SKS.
Short answer: no. I don't run fenders all the time and installing them under the rack is pretty trivial. Use a ziptie at the brake bridge to hold the fender rather than a bolt. Since the LHT has double eyelets, attaching the rack to the frame isn't an issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-06-07, 05:29 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Short answer: no. I don't run fenders all the time and installing them under the rack is pretty trivial. Use a ziptie at the brake bridge to hold the fender rather than a bolt. Since the LHT has double eyelets, attaching the rack to the frame isn't an issue.
Excellent...thanks for the heads-up!
Old 11-07-07, 02:15 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Agree with cyccommute, particularly for the LHT with double fork eyelet. I always hate putting the racks on outside of the fender mounts using the same bolt/eyelet on my 520, which only has one front fork braze-on outlet. Doing so puts the weight of the rack (and any load) further away from the eyelet and out on the end of the bolt, where there is more bending moment.

You can use a zip tie for quick on and off of fenders, and its really a lot easier. If you have some aluminum (such as an old reflector mount) and are handy with a drill, saw, file, and small hammer, its no big deal to make nice looking piece of aluminum into a mounting bracket for use at the brake bridge or fork.
Old 11-07-07, 02:54 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On my commuter, in the back there is only one set of eyelets. To use a rack and full-coverage fenders, I use an extra long bolt. From outside to in, it goes: Bolt, rack, eyelet, fender, nut. If the eyelet was not threaded I'd put another nut between the eyelet and fender.

I find this setup secures the rack just as well with or without the fender. But, this is on a fixed single-speed w/120 mm hub w/extra spacers for a 126 mm frame, and the bolt runs close to the chain.

For a geared bike, I imagine this might work: Bolt, fender, nut, rack, eyelet, nut. It keeps everything but the second nut on the outside but should secure the rack well if the first nut presses the fender really tight against the bolt head. Of course, it won't be quick to get the fenders on or off, but here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, I keep the fenders on the commuter year round.
Old 11-08-07, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I manage with one eyelets using bolt,washer,fender,rack,frame eyelet.
You can use a nylock nut to lock the whole thing together on the inside if you use an extra long bolt.