Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainrings With or Without Pins?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-08-07, 06:00 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When using bar end shifters for a 10-speed cassette, does it matter (and why) if the chainrings are pinned to ease shifting for a double crankset?

When using bar end shifters for a 10-speed cassette, does it matter (and why) if the chainrings are pinned to ease shifting for a triple crankset?
Old 10-08-07, 06:27 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Yes it makes a difference, though only going from smaller to larger chain wheels.
So in a double the largest CW and in a triple the mid and large CW should be pinned
and relieved for best shifting. You don't realize what the pins do til you go back to
your old '70s era bike and discover what you have gained.
A study of the cassette will show all the cogs are pinned as well.
It works.
Old 10-08-07, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think ramps and pins are more important for indexed shifting. Friction shifting works fine without.
The ramps and pins help the chain climb from a smaller chainring to a larger chainring. With friction shifting you can over shift and then trim back but with index shifting there needs to be greater accuracy because the derailleur cannot move the chain as far laterally or back up.

Al
Old 10-08-07, 08:01 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
I think ramps and pins are more important for indexed shifting. Friction shifting works fine without.l
Almost. Ramps and pins are essential for good index shifting. Ramps and pins noticeably improve friction shifting.

I have an old Trek road bike I use as a beater. It originally had an SR triple crank with plain flat chainrings and barcon shifters (friction in front of course). Shifting even from large to the middle ring was not very precise and was very sluggish under load. I replaced the SR with a Shimano 105 triple and, using the same barcons, front shifting is worlds better.
Old 10-08-07, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
I think ramps and pins are more important for indexed shifting. Friction shifting works fine without.
The ramps and pins help the chain climb from a smaller chainring to a larger chainring. With friction shifting you can over shift and then trim back but with index shifting there needs to be greater accuracy because the derailleur cannot move the chain as far laterally or back up.

Al

"works fine" but shifting under load or any other time is more effortless with ramped and pinned rings.

ed rader
Old 10-09-07, 07:06 PM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on what chainrings you have and how you define "good shifting".

Basically, if you have the typical double (53-39 or 48-34 for example), shifting will be quite good without ramped and pinned chainrings, but it will be transparent with ramp and pinned chainrings. On the other hand, if you have cobbled up a really compact wide range double (50-28 on a mountain crankset for example), than the lack of ramps will show.

By "quite good" vs "transparent", I mean that with ramped and pinned chainrings, you will feel confident enough to shift while standing on the pedals, whereas without them, you should ease a bit pressure on the pedals. You'll still be light years ahead of a 1980-style derailleur.
Old 10-10-07, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Yes it makes a difference, though only going from smaller to larger chain wheels.
So in a double the largest CW and in a triple the mid and large CW should be pinned
and relieved for best shifting. You don't realize what the pins do til you go back to
your old '70s era bike and discover what you have gained.
A study of the cassette will show all the cogs are pinned as well.
It works.
None of my cassettes have pins.
Old 10-10-07, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
None of my cassettes have pins.
Mine either.