Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Brooks failing from weight?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 10-06-07, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I weigh 276 and ride 5000 miles a year. I've had a Brooks B17 Champion on my bike for more than a year. Last week rails bent and eventually broke. Brooks makes fine products and the saddle has been in production since 1898. Anyone else know of a Brooks failing this way? Or should I just loose some weight? (no snarky comments, please )
Old 10-06-07, 12:46 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
isn't that a warranty issue?
Old 10-06-07, 01:00 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn. I'm 340#. Is failure imminent?!
Old 10-06-07, 01:12 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tiztim
I weigh 276 and ride 5000 miles a year. I've had a Brooks B17 Champion on my bike for more than a year. Last week rails bent and eventually broke. Brooks makes fine products and the saddle has been in production since 1898. Anyone else know of a Brooks failing this way? Or should I just loose some weight? (no snarky comments, please )
It might be the weight, but I'd suggest trying their warranty. Worth a shot, as they don't publish a weight limit on their saddles. As to snarky comments, not permitted here

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 10-06-07, 01:41 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5000 miles is a lot of time on the saddle.

I way (just) over 300 (started at 380) and have been riding for about 2 1/2 years. I've already burned through 2 saddles this way. I expect a Brooks to go 5000 miles on that weight isn't doing too badly. Sorry to say, it likely is. Hopefully getting the weight down (like most of us are trying to do) will help the Brooks last longer.
Old 10-06-07, 01:56 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What kind of riding are you doing. Road, mountain. Are you bouncing around and jumping? I'd expect a Brooks to fail in the area of the leather (stretching) before the rails would fail. Another factor might be where the clamp is along the length of the rail.

This wouldn't be a Ti railed saddle, would it? I've seen other Ti railed saddles with load limits and I'm pretty sure Phil has a weigh limit on their Ti bottom brackets....or maybe it was Crank Bros and their Ti pedals.

But things happen.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 10-06-07, 02:23 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
What kind of riding are you doing. Road, mountain. Are you bouncing around and jumping? I'd expect a Brooks to fail in the area of the leather (stretching) before the rails would fail. Another factor might be where the clamp is along the length of the rail.

This wouldn't be a Ti railed saddle, would it? I've seen other Ti railed saddles with load limits and I'm pretty sure Phil has a weigh limit on their Ti bottom brackets....or maybe it was Crank Bros and their Ti pedals.

But things happen.
I've had two saddles in about two years both fail from rails getting bent. Simple road riding. So it doesn't seem unreasonable...and I don't do anywhere near those kind of miles myself.
Old 10-06-07, 06:44 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
I've had two saddles in about two years both fail from rails getting bent. Simple road riding. So it doesn't seem unreasonable...and I don't do anywhere near those kind of miles myself.
I've got 7 Brooks saddles, the oldest (B17) now having probably 4-5000 on/off road miles on it. Aside from having to tweak the nose and lace the skirt it's in great shape. Tip the scales at ~235ish, plus probably another 10-15 when commuting with a messenger bag.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 10-06-07, 07:16 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was 270 when I got my first Brooks. I'm 235ish+++ now. So far, so good with the rails, but the first one probably could use a tensioning about now. I agree with trying a warantee look.
Old 10-06-07, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not a 200# plus fella but I have something to add.

I read that once the leather starts sagging and its touching the rails underneath it then you must tighten it or else the weight sits on those rails and they will break.
Old 10-06-07, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in your weight range and have had the same experience with my Brooks Champion. I think it lasted less than 1K miles. I also ride a standard Brooks B-17 and a sprung brooks and have had no problems with either after 2-3K on each. My champion had the copper rails, I chalked the failure up to those rails not being as strong as the steel ones.
Old 10-07-07, 09:28 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gosmsgo
Im not a 200# plus fella but I have something to add.

I read that once the leather starts sagging and its touching the rails underneath it then you must tighten it or else the weight sits on those rails and they will break.
If the leather has sagged to the point of touching the rails, there are some serious issues.
Old 10-07-07, 10:12 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There may be a point where you stop stressing the rails..maybe 250ish or so. Both of you guys who haven't had problems are under 250 (or got under 250).
Old 11-29-07, 03:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update to my originating post: I contacted Brooks who said it appeared I had a warranty claim and to send to their US distributor, Highway Two in Olney, IL, which I did. They responded the saddle failed because I used a treatment other than Brook's Proofide. I fired off an intemperate reply that Proofide is all I'd ever used. After a bit of thought, I realized I long ago used too much chamois cream one hot summer which soaked through into the leather. So the saddle failed solely from my carelessness. ...I promptly remounted a new B17 to my seat post.
Old 11-29-07, 04:23 AM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you gotta be kidding me
Old 11-29-07, 08:33 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Whoa - that's interesting.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 11-29-07, 09:03 AM
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a complete BS reply from Brooks. There is no way using a different leather conditioner would cause the rails to fail.

That's like a car company telling you your suspension fell apart because you used 87 octane gas instead of the prescribed 91 octane.

Unless you used something on the leather known to weaken metal, their response is garbage, pure and simple.
Old 11-29-07, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually the leather is an integral part of the structure. It keeps the nose and tail from spreading away from each other. If the leather gets to soft or stretches to much the nose and tail will spread apart causing the rails to bend under the weight. I'm not saying they are right to deny the warrantee claim. I just understand how the leather effects the rails.
Old 11-29-07, 10:02 AM
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caincando1
Actually the leather is an integral part of the structure. It keeps the nose and tail from spreading away from each other. If the leather gets too soft or stretches to much the nose and tail will spread apart causing the rails to bend under the weight. I'm not saying they are right to deny the warrantee claim. I just understand how the leather effects the rails.
Oh, didn't know that. Well, then it might be a bit more of an issue. I figured they would make the saddle like most others and have some sort of frame under the leather.

Oy vey, OP might be SOL then.
Old 11-29-07, 10:25 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by tiztim
Update to my originating post: I contacted Brooks who said it appeared I had a warranty claim and to send to their US distributor, Highway Two in Olney, IL, which I did. They responded the saddle failed because I used a treatment other than Brook's Proofide. I fired off an intemperate reply that Proofide is all I'd ever used. After a bit of thought, I realized I long ago used too much chamois cream one hot summer which soaked through into the leather. So the saddle failed solely from my carelessness. ...I promptly remounted a new B17 to my seat post.
That is ridiculous. What next, denying a warranty claim because the rider perspired too much? The idea that a bike saddle needs to be coddled so is absurd. So much for the Cult of the Brooks Saddle.

Old 11-29-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
That is ridiculous. What next, denying a warranty claim because the rider perspired too much? The idea that a bike saddle needs to be coddled so is absurd. So much for the Cult of the Brooks Saddle.
"Ridiculous" was my first reaction but when you consider the structure of the saddle: rails and leather both under tension work together to support weight of the rider, not the rails only. This insight may be the brilliance of the originlal design.

For the chamois cream (Eucerin, if I recall), I'll tell you I used a LOT that day and a lot soaked into the leather. The destruction of the leather fiber by the cream (lanolin, emollients, etc.) was obvious. The leather's treated in such a way to accept proofide and (presumably) the ordinary exposure to rain and sweat.
Old 11-29-07, 11:20 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
I'm not going to defend the CotBS, although I am a member of its ranks.
Any saddle is going to have structural limitations. Those limitations will vary based on the design and construction of the saddle. All those ultralight Ti-railed paper-thin racing saddles? Yeah, they're not designed to hold up under the behind of a guy my size; and I'm a lightweight Clyde at only 235 pounds.
I've got a Brooks B-17 with almost 2600 miles on it. I've used nothing but Proofide and sweat for leather treatment. I have a Velox cover that I put on it even in the mildest of sprinkling rain. Around mile 500, the rails started to squeak at the post clamp. This was because the leather has softened, and as I hit rough roads my weight bowed the leather, forcing the rails to flex slightly, causing the squeak. Some grease fixed that issue. Around mile 1500 I tightened the tensioner bolt a little more because I was getting some hammocking. Around mile 2400 I punched and laced the skirts because just messing with the tensioner wasn't fixing the issue. Now it's solid feeling, but still pliable under my contact points.
Yes, it's taken some work to get it "just right" but I have a feeling I'll get at least another 3 or 4 years from this saddle.
Let me compare that to my other saddles: Less than 1500 miles to most of them, whether they were $20 bone stock PoS that came with the bike or $120 super-deluxe just shy of being custom molded to my cheeks. Right about the time they'd start feeling comfortable, the foam or thin gel would break down, the plastic shell would crack, or the rails would give out. While a saddle is a standard replacement item due to wear and tear, it should last longer than that IMO. Then again, I don't think most companies design their products with the 'generously proportioned' cyclist in mind. I'm guessing that even Brooks, which seems to get the highest accolades around here, doesn't specifically consider 250, 300, and 300+ pound riders when performing their stress/fatigue tests.

Every saddle has its breaking point, and the Brooks can be a bit more particular than others due to the suspended nature of the leather as opposed to a padded hardshell saddle. Mounting the saddle (any saddle, really) too far forward or backward on its rails will place additional stress on them, causing them to fail sooner. In the case of a Brooks, keeping the tension too low will allow for higher flex in the rails causing them to fail sooner. Over-treating the leather will soften it too much and possibly cause failure at the rivets. Under-treating it can leave it vulnerable to the elements and allow it to dry out (cracked leather) or get soaked (over softening, followed by stretching and over drying if you ride it wet and don't treat it afterward.) They are a bit of work to maintain, but in my experience it's at the balance of price to maintenance to durability. My B-17, with a little work, has already outlasted 2 similarly priced hardshell saddles. The two saddles that it's outlasted required absolutely zilch-o in maintenance, though.
Old 11-29-07, 11:22 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, let me understand this:

1) Your initial complaint was that the rails failed - not the leather. They are saying that you used chamois cream so often that, in their opinion, it over conditioned the leather thus causing rail failure? I doubt that, especially if you were wearing some reasonable bike shorts.

2) Where did the rails break? Near the clamp? At the weld in the U-frame? At a bend?

Please describe what happened to the leather top? Did it appear to sag to the rails or very near them? Did you use alot of the Proofide as well? Proofide can cause overconditioning if the owner is too generous in it's use. See Brooks' instructions.

3) Broken rails can happen to us clydes. It is the weight of the rider combined with all the thousands of mini-shocks that the rails experience. A longer seat post clamp can help distribute those shocks over more of the rail clamp area. Get one with two adjustment bolts, like a Thompson Elite. Those are for MTB's and will give the saddle a larger platform than a typical roadie saddle with a single bolt. Maybe you've already done this. It's the weight, and that's the problem.

EDIT: CliftonGK1 is spot-on.
Old 11-29-07, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Personally I think that their denial of a warranty claim is BS, but as a clyde of similar weight, I know that getting 5k miles out of a saddle is not bad. I broken rails on fewer miles.
Old 11-29-07, 02:34 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a thought:

When these saddles were designed 100+ yrs ago the average rider likely weighed 1/2 of many of the folks posting above weigh!

We have all gotten a bit larger and heavier over the last century.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.