Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

cholestrol and heart rate

Old 09-11-07, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
cholestrol and heart rate

using the clyde forum instead of the health and fitness.

the school where my wife teaches offers free health screening for teachers and thier spouses. I'm the spouse. I never had my cholestrol or blood sugar checked so I figgured it was time at 45. I got fairly good results. my TC was 179 and my HDL was 40. My TC/HDL ratio was 4.5 My blood sugar was 88. my BP was 133/70. My heart rate was 52. they seemed concerned that my HR was too low. I mentioned that I hike off the mountain and back up and ride a bike quite a bit but they still suggested I get my heart checked out. She asked about my diet and I told her the truth. I eat bacon and eggs at least 4 times a week and often more than once in the same day. I eat off the dollar menue when at work way too much. cheaper to eat 2 double cheese burgers than make a sandwich at home. She said I must have good genes. I think my wife predisposed her to fuss about my diet and seeing a physician for a good checkup. My last physical was at 30. they did not check my chelestrol or blood sugar then as i went mainly for a prostrate exam. I dread the next one but it is probably time for another. Anyways just sharing the simi good news and wondering what yall might make of the heart rate. I think it is directly related to my exersize even though I weigh 240 and look (OK I am) fat around the middle.
Old 09-11-07, 08:53 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
If they are concerned about low HR, an inexpensive test is a coronary output fraction by ultrasound. Often athletic individuals have an abnormally low resting HR, but quite sufficient volumetric output because they have a superior output fraction in relation to the population at large because they have a healthier heart. My RHR is 54, and my Dr was concerned until he did the output volume test.
Originally Posted by coyboy
using the clyde forum instead of the health and fitness.

the school where my wife teaches offers free health screening for teachers and thier spouses. I'm the spouse. I never had my cholestrol or blood sugar checked so I figgured it was time at 45. I got fairly good results. my TC was 179 and my HDL was 40. My TC/HDL ratio was 4.5 My blood sugar was 88. my BP was 133/70. My heart rate was 52. they seemed concerned that my HR was too low. I mentioned that I hike off the mountain and back up and ride a bike quite a bit but they still suggested I get my heart checked out. She asked about my diet and I told her the truth. I eat bacon and eggs at least 4 times a week and often more than once in the same day. I eat off the dollar menue when at work way too much. cheaper to eat 2 double cheese burgers than make a sandwich at home. She said I must have good genes. I think my wife predisposed her to fuss about my diet and seeing a physician for a good checkup. My last physical was at 30. they did not check my chelestrol or blood sugar then as i went mainly for a prostrate exam. I dread the next one but it is probably time for another. Anyways just sharing the simi good news and wondering what yall might make of the heart rate. I think it is directly related to my exersize even though I weigh 240 and look (OK I am) fat around the middle.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-11-07, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
My RHR was 42 when I was in the hospital and initially the nurse was concerned, but the Doc came by and he did not seemed overly concerned as he knew I rode my bike a lot and had a good pre-surgery test results. I would just inquire with you doc.

Old 09-12-07, 06:00 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, just talk to the doctor. Mine have been impressed with my hr changes in the last few years as my exercise and diet have improved. No it don't eat healthy, I just watch my calorie intake more than anything.

My RHR was around 70 a few years ago (don't remember exactly) and now it is 50 - 53 range. It now takes so much more effort to get my HR up to 160 while I run. And next to impossible when I bike.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 09-12-07, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Jamis XLT 3.0, Trek 1500, Gary Fisher X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart issues should never be taken lightly I would go get this checked just to rule out any problems. I had this test done earlier this year and it was pretty neat and didn't take very long at all. That said if you are athletic but overweight that may be your resting heart rate. Sometimes it's hard to get folks to look around the weight and realize that you can have decent cardio fitness and still be overweight.

Scott
Old 09-12-07, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks everyone, I think I will set up a physical soon and have the coronary output fraction by ultrasound Tom suggested done. Question. If you were having a physical (45 and male if it matters), what test would you ask for. I always thought you just went in and said "I need a physical" and they know what to run but now I wonder.
Old 09-12-07, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shog
That said if you are athletic but overweight that may be your resting heart rate. Sometimes it's hard to get folks to look around the weight and realize that you can have decent cardio fitness and still be overweight.
+1 I am really overweight my self and my RHR is 56. Soon my RHR will be my age. The cardiac doc doesn't think too much of it since it has dropped from riding my bike a lot. When I was riding a long ride of 65 miles recently and going up the hills I couldn't help but to think what it would be like if I dropped maybe 60 lbs. Hmmm. Bought a new scale and it reads 10 lbs heavier than the old one. OUCH!
Old 09-12-07, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coyboy
thanks everyone, I think I will set up a physical soon and have the coronary output fraction by ultrasound Tom suggested done. Question. If you were having a physical (45 and male if it matters), what test would you ask for. I always thought you just went in and said "I need a physical" and they know what to run but now I wonder.
Even though it is the worst one for a guy to ask for, I would always ensure that the doctor does a prostate exame, and that they also do a PSA work-up when they do the blood work.

Depending on family history, and this is the really ugly one, you may even want to consider a colonoscopy. I don't recall the age recommendations for that test, but I know it is suggested for men over a certain age ever few years.

Also, if your health plan allows it, get a physical every year. There are a number of things that don't show symptoms (i.e. Diabetes and hypertension) that they physicial should detect. Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-07, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering your fat intake you should be concerned about triglycerides as well.
Old 09-12-07, 04:15 PM
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My resting heart rate has dropped from the low 80ies to the low 60ies since I started biking a few months ago.

Last edited by Stujoe; 09-12-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With regular exercise mine went from 86bpm to 56bpm in a couple of months.
Old 09-12-07, 08:54 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I always thought that a low HR was indicative of a healthy heart, it is not having to work hard.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 09-13-07, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I volunteer for loads of medical studies as I have a hereditary cholesterol condition that makes me a prime research subject. In practically every study I have been in they have scheduled an electrocardiogram after they check my pulse as it is sometimes in the sub 50 range. There has never been any problem detected. I am quite fit and lean so in my case my heart rate is low due to my fitness level but this is not always the case. What they are concerned about is a condition called bradycardia where the electrical impulses that cause your heart to beat are in someway disrupted resulting in a really slow heartbeat. I think this can be life threatening in severe forms.
Old 09-13-07, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More than likely, in my experience, the low HR is a good sign. I went into atrial fib a few years ago, so my pulse is faster and irregular now, but until I was about 45 years old my resting HR was in the low 40s, sometimes even 38. I'd been a 60-mile-a-week runner for more than 15 years, and my heart just worked efficiently.
I moved several times in those years, and every time I went to a new doctor, he'd get worried and order tests. I always came out great. I've had the same cardiologist now for 10 years, and he's a cyclist, so he doesn't sweat it.
The atrial fibrillation is unrelated to that, by the way--it's a hereditary thing, affected both my parents and both siblings at almost exactly the same age it hit me.