Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for bombproof 27" rims

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-10-07, 05:02 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I had a 36 spoke rear wheel built by my lbs (well, they have someone that builds them for them) in May. The wheel fell apart within 30 miles, they retensioned it, happened again, found they didn't use spoke prep, sent back for a replacement, waited all summer, got it back last week. Put 80 miles on it, brought it in to be retensioned, told that it was fine though the spokes felt loose to me, went on a century ride and popped spokes after 30 miles. I bring it back in to be retensioned. There's someone new there that builds wheels who thinks that the rim and spokes could be stronger and mused about building a new one from scratch, maybe apply the cost of this wheel to a the new one. He also took a look at the broken spoke and saw that there was no spoke prep on it but they ordered some, mentioned he'll build it the 'right' way. He's also going to look into rims & spokes.

Here's where I turn to you guys. I'm a Clyde at 275 + gear on a Nishiki Sport. The rim was a Sun CR18. Do you think that's strong enough and this is all a product of a bad build or are there stronger 27" rims I should suggest and look into? Better way of lacing? Spoke gauge? I know there are plenty of discussions on bombproof 700c wheels but had trouble searching for 27" threads here so if this was covered I humbly ask for your apology

PS. More backstory here, and the original wheel before the CR-18 here.

Thanks!

It's the year of the enema!

Last edited by Air; 09-10-07 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I think that CR-18 is a good rim.
Old 09-10-07, 10:41 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The CR-18 is an acceptable rim and probably the best 27" rim currently available. So it's that or convert to 700C which could be easy to moderately difficult depending upon the brakes and frame. There's no reason CR-18s shouldn't be able to hold your weight when built properly.
Old 09-11-07, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am your size. (265lbs)
Even without spoke prep ( I actually grease my spokes...) there should be no reason that wheel is falling apart. I would DEMAND a new wheel.
Old 09-11-07, 06:28 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all!

They're going to be relacing it - this new guy seems more competent than the external builder who took all summer. We'll see what happens when I get it back!

here's what happened

It's the year of the enema!

Last edited by Air; 10-01-07 at 10:06 PM.