Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

An Excellent Article on Hydration

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-12-07, 05:55 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Uncle Dan from Spinners passed this along to me!
It's a great article on hydration that also addresses the differences between a fit and unfit rider. Given that some of us are just starting out, and need to learn this stuff, the timing couldn't be better!

https://www.active.com/cycling/Articl...-Hydration.htm

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-12-07, 06:18 AM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting article, neat info on sweat rate and electrolyte loss, although some of it's a bit confusing -- how do you interpret a table column header that says, "Sweat rate of fit but unacclimitized, unfit subject"? Does that mean "sweat rate of a subject who is eitherfit but unacclimitized or unfit but acclimiitized"?

One other factor occurs to me, though, in addition to sweat rate and electrolyte loss, and that is what you start out with. The article starts with the following:

"For most cyclists, competing in events under 90 minutes does not cause many problems for hydration, electrolyte supplementation and fueling. Water or a mostly-carbohydrate sports drink work well for both fueling and hydration. In most cases, cyclists do not need to supplement with electrolytes for sessions under 90 minutes long..."

That's all based, as nearly as I can tell, on loss rates, which are in turn related to your level of fitness and acclimitization. What's not considered, however, is what you have in the tank to start with. It seems to me that someone who is more experienced at working out (and thus likely more fit) or more acclimitized is more likely to have better nutrition and hydration habits, and thus to be properly hydrated and fueled before exercise. OTOH, someone who's not fit or not used to the climate is less likely to have the proper habits, and so in addition to losing more during exercise, is also more likely to be starting out with less in the tank -- thus compounding the effect of the greater fluid and electrolyte loss. Does that make sense?
Old 07-12-07, 06:26 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Yep, it does make sense.

In the article, it covers the mechanics showing the differing rates, essentially. Low fitness and poor acclimatization have approximately equal loss rates, statistically approaching 1. It does also cover gastric contents and moving out stomach content, though, as well as advising pre event hydration and fueling. It's a great starting point though and will help our new folk understand a bit of the process and how our bodies are affected under exercise.

Hopefully, it'll generate some questions and then that's where me and thee and other more experienced riders come in and answer them.

Old 07-12-07, 06:40 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good read, thanks. I've always wondered at what point I should add a sports drink into a ride. So far, I never have and just carry water. The longest I've ever riden was 2.5 hrs, with the norm being 1-1.5hr rides. So it looks like I may want to add a sports drink when I plan the 2.5-3hr plus rides. Then I have to learn when to add a food into the mix..oh so much to learn.

Last edited by Caincando1; 07-12-07 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 09:33 AM
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did the "sweat rate determination" thing a couple of months ago. The results were interesting.

I weighed myself while holding two full water bottles. I then rode for two hours, drinking all of the water and not stopping for the bathroom. When I got home, I weighed myself again holding the two now-empty water bottles.

I weighted about 3 pounds less.

Water weighs about 8 pounds/gallon, so 1 quart = 2 pounds, 1.5 quarts = 3 pounds.

My water bottles are 24 ounces each, which totals 48 ounces, which just happens to be 1.5 quarts.

So, on that day, at that level of exertion and fitness, at that ambient temperature and humidity, I sweated-out almost exactly one 0.75-quart bottle per hour. (For you metric types, that's about 0.7 liter/hour.)

I've been experimenting with powdered sports-drinks lately, but so far, they all taste nasty (to me). I've noticed that I tend to drink less sport-drink than plain water, probably due to the taste. My favorite so far is Hammer Nutrition's Heed, lemon-lime flavor, with a LOT of fresh lemon juice squeezed in to kill the taste.

Any suggestions for non-nasty tasting powdered sports-drinks?
Old 07-12-07, 10:02 AM

They all taste nasty, sorry!
Originally Posted by keithm0
I did the "sweat rate determination" thing a couple of months ago. The results were interesting.

I weighed myself while holding two full water bottles. I then rode for two hours, drinking all of the water and not stopping for the bathroom. When I got home, I weighed myself again holding the two now-empty water bottles.

I weighted about 3 pounds less.

Water weighs about 8 pounds/gallon, so 1 quart = 2 pounds, 1.5 quarts = 3 pounds.

My water bottles are 24 ounces each, which totals 48 ounces, which just happens to be 1.5 quarts.

So, on that day, at that level of exertion and fitness, at that ambient temperature and humidity, I sweated-out almost exactly one 0.75-quart bottle per hour. (For you metric types, that's about 0.7 liter/hour.)

I've been experimenting with powdered sports-drinks lately, but so far, they all taste nasty (to me). I've noticed that I tend to drink less sport-drink than plain water, probably due to the taste. My favorite so far is Hammer Nutrition's Heed, lemon-lime flavor, with a LOT of fresh lemon juice squeezed in to kill the taste.

Old 07-12-07, 10:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That depends. What's a "sports drink"? Is it for fuel, or electrolyte replacement, or rehydration? Is it for during activity or after? What do you want this "sports drink" to do for you?
Old 07-12-07, 10:24 AM
Vorsprung durch Technik

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Crossroads, 1985 Raleigh Sportif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best drink I have found so far is Gu2O I like the orange the best. It is more of an electrolytes replacer.
Old 07-12-07, 01:06 PM
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
That depends. What's a "sports drink"? Is it for fuel, or electrolyte replacement, or rehydration? Is it for during activity or after? What do you want this "sports drink" to do for you?
Good question. I'm looking for electrolyte replacement to use during long rides (4 hours or more). I just noticed that Hammer Nutrition sells something call Endurolytes -- it's basically electrolytes in a capsule form. I like this idea -- no nasty taste!
Old 07-12-07, 01:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good question. I'm looking for electrolyte replacement to use during long rides (4 hours or more). I just noticed that Hammer Nutrition sells something call Endurolytes -- it's basically electrolytes in a capsule form. I like this idea -- no nasty taste!
I'm also a Gu2O fan, although I like the raspberry and find the orange not so good. On a long ride I like to drink this during activity after about the first hour or so, fairly well diluted. It does the trick for me.
Old 07-12-07, 01:48 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a bicycling magazine with me, but I thought there was a Jelly Belly that comes in a small bag that actually shows it working better than other types of things to keep the energy level up. It may only come in sports tastes like the crappy cereal or some super health nut bar. If I find the article, or ad that shows the info.

Just an idea.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 07-12-07, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I like Heed for a good electrolyte drink, the powerbar drink is also good..

When it gets hot, I make sure that I am well hydrated before I get out on the road.. I drink an extra 16-32 ounces of water, pre-ride.. If it is over 85+ degrees, I also add a Nuun electrolyte tab or E-caps Endurolytes to get my pre-ride drink...

I usually carry 2 bottles, one with water and other w/ Heed or PB Endurance..
Old 07-12-07, 02:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Gu20 raspberry at the moment, thinking about trying the Accelerade. I know guys that use the unflavored Heed, but I haven't tried it.

I salt out really bad during rides and always have a supply of endurolytes with me. I take 3 before the ride and 3 after 2-2.5 hours. If I start cramping I down 6 caplets and try to get a bunch of water in me. I sweat more than most everyone I know and I get dehydrated fairly fast. It is nice to have some guidelines, but everyone is different.

The temps are starting to require 3 bottles during longer rides, gotta love west Texas!
Old 07-12-07, 03:18 PM
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloutdoors
The temps are starting to require 3 bottles during longer rides, gotta love west Texas!
I grew up in Fort Worth, so "I feel your pain".
Old 07-12-07, 10:48 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I need to procure some of these endurolytes. It's difficult to tell how much you are sweating here in North Dakota because the high winds keep you from feeling wet. I definitely could have used some electrolytes on today's ride though.
Old 07-13-07, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sweat a ton, from diabetes, obesity, and genetics. It really gets bad when I think. That is lucky for me, I don't think that often. Since I have been forcing the regular water down my pipe I find that I don't leave the salt lick stains much anymore. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-13-07, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by JumboRider
I sweat a ton, from diabetes, obesity, and genetics. It really gets bad when I think. That is lucky for me, I don't think that often. Since I have been forcing the regular water down my pipe I find that I don't leave the salt lick stains much anymore. Am I doing something wrong?
No, actually, it sounds like you are starting to acclimate. How do you feel at the midpoint and ends of the rides? Pretty good? A little rough?

Old 07-15-07, 11:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
I think I need to procure some of these endurolytes. It's difficult to tell how much you are sweating here in North Dakota because the high winds keep you from feeling wet. I definitely could have used some electrolytes on today's ride though.
I don't really feel all that sweaty either (even though I do sweat bad). When it is 90 degrees, with a 15mph breeze, and 10% humidity the sweat evaporates quick, even at the rates I put it out. But about 1.5-2 hours into the ride and start to notice heavy salting on my bibs, gloves, etc. Endurolytes have saved me many times when I have been 20+ miles from home.