Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Double Centuries

Old 05-12-07, 03:04 PM
One less car on the road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double Centuries

Any Clydesdales have good Double Century Stories? My brother and I completed the CA Triple Crown in 2005 - and regularly train with 100+ days.

Anyone else putting up over 100 miles a week?
Old 05-12-07, 03:31 PM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 241 this week....I could not imagine riding 200 mile in one day.....when I do a Century I am done....there is something about that 100 mile mark for me...lol I can't imagine thinking lol wow 1/2 way there....wooohoooo lol
Old 05-12-07, 03:31 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Count me in this week. Well, almost there, just need 3.5 more miles today. Did a nice 44 miler this morning, and will take the MTB on the beer run this eve .
Old 05-13-07, 07:56 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do 100+ miles per week, but never in one day. How "Clyde" are you?
Old 05-13-07, 08:20 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tom's been working up to that I think...not sure if he's hit the double C mark.

Next Sunday I'm going to attempt 145 miles from Penn Station NYC to Montauk Point. I was without my bike for a week though and don't want to over train before. I can decide that morning to just do the 100. May try to get to the Century mark on Tuesday and then take it easy from there.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-13-07, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the 100 mile Tour de Cure last year at 230 pounds. I was mentally and physically exhausted after that ride. I'm down to 215 pounds now after riding my butt of this year so far.

I'm looking forward to killing last years time when it comes around again in October though.
Old 05-13-07, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I can do 100 a week, no issues and training to do a Century Ride. My longest single ride so far is 65 miles.

Old 05-13-07, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp, Specialized Roubaix, Specialized FSR XC Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On our MS150 April 21-22, I logged 177 miles on Saturday and Sunday. That's 9 miles short of a triple metric century. I did a double metric century (124 mi) in one day last November. My next goal is 150 miles in one day. Maybe next Friday.
Old 05-13-07, 02:39 PM
One less car on the road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 2004 Lemond - stock. I weigh 220 and my brother is 250. We train in the San Francisco Bay Area. I good training ride for us is 100 miles north of SF.

In 2005 I did the Solvang Double, the Davis Double, the Marin Double (DNS - mechanical) and the Knoxville Double.

Now I commute 40 miles a day - 3 days a week plus a 3 hour hill climb ride on the weekends.
Old 05-13-07, 05:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did Breathless Agony last weekend. 114 miles with 12,000ft of climbing. 7:29 ride time/8:27 overall. Most I've done is 121 at once. Have riding buds that match my 230 lbs that have done the Triple Crown.,,,2005 was my best with 23 centuries, but no TC.
Old 05-13-07, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp, Specialized Roubaix, Specialized FSR XC Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding Mr. Beanz!
Old 05-13-07, 06:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by K4LK
Outstanding Mr. Beanz!

Thanx!...But anybody can do it, you just gotta wanna!
Old 05-13-07, 06:55 PM

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biffstephens
I could not imagine riding 200 mile in one day.....when I do a Century I am done....there is something about that 100 mile mark for me...lol I can't imagine thinking lol wow 1/2 way there....wooohoooo lol
I gotta agree with Biff. One does me just fine.
Old 05-13-07, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
riding is no big thing. It's being in the saddle that long that stops me at 100
Old 05-13-07, 08:47 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Question - what's a decent, average pace for a century? 12 mph over the span of say 10 hours with breaks? I can ride faster than that, but is that a realistic entry point for a century (or longer)?

Old 05-13-07, 09:13 PM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I average a little over 100 miles/week these days. I've done a couple of centuries this year, but I'm just not strong enough or comfortable enough in the saddle (even on a comfy bike) to want to spend enough hours to make a double.

Someday I may train for a double, but for now I'm more interested in training for climbing centuries next year. I'd rather have a jersey that says 'Breathless Agony' or 'Death Ride' than 'Hemet Double'

Air, any pace you can manange to get you to 100 miles will obviously get you there. It's just about your comfort in the saddle. I'm good for 7 hours or so in the saddle. After that, I'm pretty much done. If you can manage longer, go for it! I did my first century with Team in Training and we had someone come in at 13 hours!
Old 05-13-07, 09:34 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
Question - what's a decent, average pace for a century? 12 mph over the span of say 10 hours with breaks? I can ride faster than that, but is that a realistic entry point for a century (or longer)?
This is a great question as I have been trying to pace myself not to start too fast and maintain a speed that won't leave me dead on the road side 75 miles in. I been training with an avg speed of 15 and can do 55 miles at that pace with no problems. Having not exceeded 55 in a while, I'm worried about that. I have mapped a route that is 33 miles starting right at my garage so I figure after 2 laps, I have the luxury to stop off at the house for food and replenishment of liquids. I don' want my century to take more than about 8 hrs with my stop time. Then after I do my 3 laps, I can do 2 laps in the hood as cool down and trip the mile mark to say 100.6, this of course assumes I can get back on the bike and lose the knee pain.

Old 05-13-07, 09:41 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Luckily on this trip there are rest stops every 20 miles (except for the first 50). I also am going to promise myself an actual meal every 50 miles, stop at a deli, pizza shop or something. I think that will help me too - then it's just three 50 mile trips in one day.

Old 05-13-07, 09:49 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
Background
I did my first century in over 10 years yesterday. Due to wrong training for it, I wasn't sure I would last the distance. So I decided to stay "within" myself, especially as the first 50 miles had about 4,500 feet of climbing in it.

Staying "within" myself meant: keeping my heart rate out of my red zone, and my muscles away from the anaerobic threshold. This way, I had a reasonable chance of finishing as my body wouldn't manufacture more lactate than it could clear. I understood what my "red zone" was due to my previous riding/training. The red zone for me, BTW, is 162 beats per minute.

You
I didn't care how fast I went. I was only concerned with not over-extending myself and bonking, and having to SAG it back to the start. So, I would advise, don't worry about absolute numbers and pace. Worry about what's good for you.

Follow-Up
BTW, throughout the century, I only hit 162 twice. Average HR for the ride was only 122. Finished in 6 hours, 27 minutes...no problem. I am already looking to see when I can ride again and try to go sub-6 hours.

edit: This was the same century ronjon did.
Old 05-13-07, 10:03 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
mkadam68 - that's great advice. Last time when I tried to do a Century (last September) I took my 50 lb mtb, hit heavy, heavy head winds, pushed myself hard (like I normally did), ate but apparently not enough and bonked hard at mile 50 where my chest seized up. From there on out couldn't get above 10 mph and had to walk up any sort of incline for the next 30 miles until I finally got to a subway stop.

So far the roadie I've been riding has been much, much easier to ride. Actually have to struggle to get my HR up (before 65% of my riding was in that red zone you were talking about, on the roadie more like 5%). I've done 60 miles with not much riding this winter and didn't feel it afterwards. So I really think the 145 is doable as long as I don't extend too much at the beginning. And eat real food along the way

Old 05-13-07, 10:13 PM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eating and nutrition takes personal experience as different people have different needs and reactions. I know people who don't eat anything on 100 mile+ rides using liquid based stuff (like Perpetum) instead. On my long rides, I like PB&J sandwiches. I typically eat 1/2 sandwich for every 30 miles or so I ride, plus a Gu for the featured climb of the ride.

Your training rides will not only help you get in shape, but help you learn what foods work for you and which one's dont.

For instance, I learned that high fiber food the day before a long ride is a bad bad bad idea for me.
Old 05-13-07, 10:21 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ouch!

Old 05-14-07, 07:37 AM

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished my first 400 KM (250 miles) Brevet yesterday. It was a slowwwwww ride and we finished in 26 hours, 18 minutes. We did about 230 miles in the first 24 hours, so my first double century.
Old 05-14-07, 09:07 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wow - that's amazing! I'm in awe of you guys!

Old 05-15-07, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I was also on that century that Ronjon and mkadam were on, it was fun and not too hard. I think the difficulty is determined by the hills. Next Saturday some of us are doing a ride called Sea to Summit, with 12000 feet of gain in 87 miles.
I have done centuries since 1988 and have never done a double. Never wanted to spend that much time in the saddle. If I was sure I could finish in 12 hours in daylight, I might try it, but I don't think I ever want to be on a bike for more than 12 hours and I don't like riding a road bike at night.
My goal is to have fun and stay in reasonable shape and centuries are part of that, but I see no reason to extend myself to a double, triple, brevet, Paris-Brest-Paris, RAAM, whatever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.