Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jim Rogers frame??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Jim Rogers frame??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 06:17 PM
Humangirl

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Jim Rogers frame?? w/pictures now

Has anyone heard of a frame called "Jim Rogers"? I just picked up an awesome road bike, equipped with Campy, Suntour, and Weinmann components.

The frame is made of Reynolds 531 tubing. And it's actually a really small frame, maybe like 48 cm, with real tight geometry and close cut clearance. Seems maybe like an 80s bike.

I can't find anything online!

Last edited by Humangirl; 05-06-07 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added pictures

Old 05-06-07, 06:30 PM
Prodigal road guy

Bikes: '72 Bob Jackson; '82 Austro-Daimler Starleicht; '85 Scapin; '80 Peugeot PKN-10; '81 Trek 610; '87 Hunter Corsa; '72 Italvega and '75 Motobecane Grand Jubillee frames built into freewheel singlespeeds.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pictures!
Old 05-06-07, 06:35 PM

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MajorA
Pictures!
and pictures of the bike, too!
Old 05-06-07, 06:39 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Most of the google references were to financier Jim Rogers and his motorcycle tour of the world but I found this reference to a Jim Rogers who co-founded the awkwardly named Tour of Nevada City Bicycle shop and the Sierra Express Racing Team (SERT) in California...maybe the bike is from that store or team?

If you click the store link maybe you can email them or the team and see if the bike is named for that guy.

Last edited by cooker; 05-06-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 11:00 PM
Humangirl

Alright, these pics aren't the best because I am working with the built in cam on my MacBook, but here's just an idea of the mystery bike.

P.S. For some reason the cam takes a picture of everything reversed, so that is why you see all the lettering backwords....

Last edited by Humangirl; 05-06-07 at 11:05 PM.

Old 05-07-07, 07:15 AM
Prodigal road guy

Bikes: '72 Bob Jackson; '82 Austro-Daimler Starleicht; '85 Scapin; '80 Peugeot PKN-10; '81 Trek 610; '87 Hunter Corsa; '72 Italvega and '75 Motobecane Grand Jubillee frames built into freewheel singlespeeds.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Closeups of the lugwork and the seat cluster might help (others here, i.e. the real experts, not me ...) but I'd guess that it's a late 60s or early 70s British machine. There were apparently a gajillion small frame makers in Britain up through that time, and while we remember the larger companies and better-known marques (Bob Jackson, Woodrup, Witcomb, Claud Butler, Mercian, etc.), there were many others who counted frames per year in the dozens, rather than thousands. The crankset, the flat-blade high flange Campy hubs (these alone, assuming they're original,makes it no later than early 70s), the barend shifters with the clamp-on cable stop, the 531 frame and forks ... they're pretty consistent with that place and time. Whatever it is, it ain't 80s.

It's a jewel ... pleeeease don't part it out.
Old 05-07-07, 09:56 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 793 Posts
I agree with everything Major A said (including that it's a beauty!) except I think it could date as late as the mid '70s. The Suntour barcons and TA cranks are parts that span many decades, but the hubs and flat QR levers are date-significant, if original. It's rare to see as small a frame as this from that era, except as a custom-build, and this is undoubtedly custom and high quality, probably British...tho I've never heard of the builder...yet. Are the rims/tires 27 inch?
Old 05-07-07, 11:25 AM
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check for a patent date on the rear derailleur (no date = early) and examine the front derailleur for characteristics (cable stop) to help dating

if the wheelset is original, the hub locknuts will give a specific year..

looks like maybe the cinelli 1/a stem is the nutted (early) version ?

the brakeset could suggest the bike was built before the campys became ubiquitous (or before they were release in '68 ?)

also the bottle cage braze-ons look like an early type before threaded bosses were standardized..

my guess is late 60s.. high quality machine built for a serious rider

Last edited by coelcanth; 05-07-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 06:50 PM
Humangirl

Original wheels, Campy hubs, no locknuts, QR. (Do you think the hubs are Record? The rear derailleur says Nuovo Record, the front derailleur is Campy too). It looks like the tires were replaced b/c there is a "Schwinn" tire on the front and a Kenda on the back.

The stem is 3ttt.

Patent date on the rear derailleur is 73.

And one of the first things I noticed was the extra long horizontal dropouts. I immediately thought, fixed gear conversion! But then changed my mind when I noticed the quality parts.

I think I may turn it into a project to make it full Campy (from the time period). Def get rid of the 27"s and get 700c's and relace the hubs. With a brown Brooks, it would be complete.

Old 05-07-07, 08:35 PM
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Humangirl
Original wheels, Campy hubs, no locknuts, QR. (Do you think the hubs are Record? The rear derailleur says Nuovo Record, the front derailleur is Campy too). It looks like the tires were replaced b/c there is a "Schwinn" tire on the front and a Kenda on the back.

The stem is 3ttt.

Patent date on the rear derailleur is 73.

And one of the first things I noticed was the extra long horizontal dropouts. I immediately thought, fixed gear conversion! But then changed my mind when I noticed the quality parts.

I think I may turn it into a project to make it full Campy (from the time period). Def get rid of the 27"s and get 700c's and relace the hubs. With a brown Brooks, it would be complete.
Are you sure the brakes will work with 700c rims?
Old 05-07-07, 09:31 PM
Prodigal road guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It should ... most quality bikes from this era were built for 700c, and the hubs were laced to tubular rims. Check the third photo down - see how high up the brake shoes are bolted? If those hubs are relaced to 700c, those will only drop down 4mm. Plenty of room.

It looks more and more like yours is a '73. Congrats again ... nice bike.
Old 05-07-07, 09:59 PM
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the hubs are record..
if they don't say 'record' on the barrels under the globe logo they are pre '63

perhaps all the parts are not as originally built
Old 05-08-07, 08:29 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 793 Posts
You're gonna want some of those Universal rubber hood reproductions (see archives) when our friend gets them on the market...that'll give it mad bling
Old 05-08-07, 08:58 AM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Is it not too unusual that the drive train is on the left side?
Old 05-08-07, 09:21 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
Is it not too unusual that the drive train is on the left side?
The OP pointed out that all the photos of the bike are reversed (hence the backwards lettering as well).
Old 05-08-07, 10:15 AM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Oh I missed that, how odd
Old 06-01-07, 07:35 PM
Prefers Cicero

There's another Rogers thread now, with info on the builder: https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=304389