Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pictures of my "new" 1984 Fuji America Touring V

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My apologies. I already posted a thread about this bike, but here are the pictures of it. From what I understand, this was a high-mid-level bike. Everything on this bike is original, nothing has been replaced but the tires. I got it out of my father-in-law's basement 2 days ago. I've cleaned it up and taken some steel wool to it. It needs some derailleur and freewheel work, but this is what it looks like. I'm very pleased with its phenomenal condition. If any of you guys know anything more about these bikes, let me know.

Full View
https://img366.imageshack.us/img366/9...ullviewss6.jpg

Various components and logos:
https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8753/barsfujivo0.jpg

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7...ndbrakeoc0.jpg

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3...amelogofp6.jpg

https://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9...ponentsyy2.jpg

https://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3...isaddlezp0.jpg

https://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6...andstemeq0.jpg

https://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1...injapanav8.jpg

https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6...ponentsic3.jpg

https://img468.imageshack.us/img468/2748/sidelogofi7.jpg
Old 04-17-07, 11:25 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Beautiful bike, you are a lucky person to have it.

East Hill
Old 04-18-07, 03:01 AM
Ute å cyklar

Bikes: 1968 Monark 318; 1984 Chesini X Uno; 1986 Miyata 912

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only know one thing about that bike. It wants you to take it on a tour. Very nice bike!
Old 04-18-07, 03:24 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 2,202 Times in 965 Posts
Great find! And your blessed to have a father-in-law who is so kind. Respect and honor his daughter. I don't know that much about Fuji either, but everything I see tells me it is a well made higher end bike. I believe part of the shifting problems could be the chain looks too long. Could you place it on the "Big-Big" combination and post a picture? You should never run the bike this way or in the "Small-Small" as you have it now. Also take a picture with the bike in the small chainring and about the middle cog on the freewheel. To me, both are helpful when adjusting chain length. Best of luck!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-18-07, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This was the top-end tourer from Fuji, if I remember correctly. Quad-butted tubing, doesn't get more sophisticated than that! And Sugino At! A very nice bike indeed!
Old 04-18-07, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
These are the bicycles that excite and interest me the most. Bikes that are designed to transport you and your gear for long distances. They're designed specifically for touring of course, but they make great commuters as well. Basically any type of riding with practicality in mind. Yours is a very nice bike from the golden age of the touring bike, the early to mid-'80's. Touring was "in" and competition was keen. Trek, Schwinn, Bridgestone, Fuji, Centurion, Panasonic, Miyata, Specialized, etc. etc. all produced top line "no compromise" tourers. Not necessarily with the lightest tubing available (but as light as was practical for the application), but plenty light enough and with relaxed geometry, eyelets and braze-ons everywhere, canti brakes, gearing that will allow you to climb mountains without a racer's mentality, etc.. In other words, very decent road bikes with a wonderful twist: practicality for actually transporting the rider somewhere. I love these bikes, and you have a beauty there-

Last edited by well biked; 04-18-07 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-18-07, 10:39 AM
Remember Wool Shorts?

Bikes: Gios Torino, Lemond Zurich, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Yours is a very nice bike from the golden age of the touring bike, the early to mid-'80's. Touring was "in" and competition was keen.
That is a nice Fuji! I remember them new and I rode with a guy with one. That gold/blue color scheme was popular.

Whatever happend to that golden age of touring? I don't see it much anymore. I saw 2 pairs of fully loaded tourers last week on my way to Grand Canyon and in Flagstaff.

Perhaps people just wanna go fast on their bikes.
Old 04-18-07, 11:00 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
That's a spectacular find. Really a nice bike with top-of-th-line components in excellent condition. Get a picture of the decal on the seat tube with the wreath around it. That tells what tubing it was made out of. And get out there and RIDE it!
Old 04-18-07, 12:58 PM

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodaimler
Whatever happend to that golden age of touring? I don't see it much anymore. I saw 2 pairs of fully loaded tourers last week on my way to Grand Canyon and in Flagstaff.

Perhaps people just wanna go fast on their bikes.
I wonder about that too. I think the "Golden Age of Touring" fizzled about ten years after Bikecentennial. By that time, mountain biking was getting popular and the rest is history.

I toured that area last year and didn't meet one other bike tourist and only a single roadie. On my entire trip, the only tourists I met were a Dutch couple in the California desert that were criss-crossing the U.S. Overall, I meet more foreign bike tourists than Americans. Go figure...
Old 04-18-07, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
These are the bicycles that excite and interest me the most.
+1
Old 04-18-07, 05:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information and compliments. I should have it up and riding within a week. there are some potentially rusty rough spots in the usual areas that I need to tend to, and I'm going to have a professional look at the shifting this weekend.

I've always been a mountain biker guy (began biking in 1995, with my first StumpJumper at age 16. Saved all summer for it). I'm biking more for fitness and adventure than suicide cliff drops these days at my age. I was already excited about the bike (obviously) But now, I can't wait to take it on weekend treks to far off places.

Thanks again everyone. Happy riding.
Old 04-18-07, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Great find! And your blessed to have a father-in-law who is so kind. Respect and honor his daughter. I don't know that much about Fuji either, but everything I see tells me it is a well made higher end bike. I believe part of the shifting problems could be the chain looks too long. Could you place it on the "Big-Big" combination and post a picture? You should never run the bike this way or in the "Small-Small" as you have it now. Also take a picture with the bike in the small chainring and about the middle cog on the freewheel. To me, both are helpful when adjusting chain length. Best of luck!
That's my main problem: I can't get the front derailler to stay in the "big" position. Once I get it there, the tension relaxes, and sinks back down into the "small" position. It's on the "small" in the rear, because I put the wheel back on right before I took the photos. I've heard there were problems with the Suntour Mountech components, but then again, I've heard they were good. The rear derailleur is Suntour LeTech. I'll get a picture so you can look at the chain.
Old 04-18-07, 05:53 PM

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Grand Prix, '85 Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCometeer
I can't get the front derailler to stay in the "big" position. Once I get it there, the tension relaxes, and sinks back down into the "small" position.
That sounds like you have a cable tension problem, tighten the bolt on the shifter to fix it.
And that is a beautiful bike, I have to find a fork before I build up my Panasonic touring bike.
Old 04-18-07, 09:17 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous, and to die for. That is definitely what comes to mind when I think of a bicycle - something to do 100 mile days on, put up a tent for the night, then repeat the next day. Back in the day, my ride was a blue World Voyageur. Now, it's my Magneet Sprint for nice roads, the Raleigh Seneca should I want to start doing some rougher substitutes for pavement.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-19-07, 09:53 AM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>> something to do 100 mile days on, put up a tent for the night, then repeat the next day

Yep! Long ago, I had an '86 Fuji-IV. Looks like the same paint scheme but with down-tube friction shifters. Such a great ride. She was stolen and I STILL cry myself to sleep. Well done, Silver'.

Old 04-20-07, 06:02 AM

Bikes: 1979 Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can somebody describe the difference between the Touring V and the Touring IV from that era?

I would expect that the Touring V is CrMo through out. Did the Touring IV have hi-ten stays and forks?

I'm also interested that the pics of this Touring V have the "America" moniker. Very cool!!

I'm guessing that the "America" (borrowed from the earlier late 70s America) was reserved for the Touring V only?
Old 04-20-07, 06:11 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! Nice!

I see it has a dealer sticker on it. I like to call the number and see if the dealer is still in business.
Old 04-20-07, 12:33 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinnah
Can somebody describe the difference between the Touring V and the Touring IV from that era?

I would expect that the Touring V is CrMo through out. Did the Touring IV have hi-ten stays and forks?
I have all a review from 1984 that compares all touring bikes from that year. I'll post tomorrow about the differences between the IV and V.
Old 04-21-07, 04:57 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I have all a review from 1984 that compares all touring bikes from that year. I'll post tomorrow about the differences between the IV and V.
In 1984, the Fuji Series IV was double-butted cromoly in the main tubes, while the Fuji Series V was double-butted cromoly in all tubes. It's unclear from the comparison chart whether the forks were different. The two bikes weighed the same, and their geometries were identical. The only other difference between the two were some compnent differences, as follows:

Freewheel:
Series IV, SunTour Perfect
Series V, SunTour ProCompe

Rear Derailleur:
Series IV, SunTour MounTech GTL
Series V, SunTour LeTech

Shift Levers:
Series IV, Down Tube
Series V, Bar End

Brakes:
Series IV, DiaCompe cantilever
Series V, GranCompe cantilever
Old 04-22-07, 07:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Wow! Nice!

I see it has a dealer sticker on it. I like to call the number and see if the dealer is still in business.
Yes, it is still there, because I'm in there once a week! That was also a cool thing about this bike. My father in law bought it from the same bike store I've been frequenting since I was 16. Vinings Cyclery Schwinn is now Atlanta Cycling (dropping the Schwinn, and changing the name, because now they have a few more locations around metro Atlanta).

I brought it in there last week, and got a lot of ooh's and aah's.

By the way, thanks for the additional info about the Touring V. And thanks to those who offered mechanical advice. I've got it up and riding. Taking it out for 50 miles this afternoon!
Old 05-04-07, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SilverCometeer -- That is a beautiful bike and you've done a great job on the restore. I just bought a Series IV and have started the clean-up process. I already know I have to replace a few parts that either don't fit me or that have just worn out. I only hope mine turns out as well! I'm chomping at the bit to take it out on some nice long rides . . . my little round the block rides have only whetted my apetite.
Old 05-04-07, 03:07 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10979 Post(s)
Liked 4,645 Times in 2,133 Posts
I bought a Fuji America new in 1982 that was pretty expensive, around $725 if I recall. It wasn't designated Touring V or IV or such and it had a gorgeous dark blue over silver blue paint job. It had Suntour derailleurs and barcons, Dia-Comp sidepull brakes, Sugino triple crank, Sugino seat post, Nitto bars and stem, and a knock-off Brooks saddle. I put a zillion miles on that bike.

Old 05-07-07, 08:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SilverCometeer -- I have two questions for you, since your bike is in such great shape.
1) Does your bike have matching decals on both sides of the top tube? I think mine might have, but some paint damage and surface rust make it hard to tell.

2) On the right hand seat stay, my bike has this small stud sticking out on the inside of the stay, any idea what it could be? Does your bike have anything like this? The stud I am talking about is about 1/4" - 3/8" long and looks like a small nail. It is clearly part of the frame and was painted with the frame. There is only one of them and it is about halfway down the stay. I may try to get a picture tonight to make it easier to identify. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Old 05-07-07, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone Mile 112 (fixie); Early 70's Bottechia; 74 Schwinn Continental; Mercier Draco AL; Corratec Freeride MTB; Custom GT Azkar SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylandnewbie
SilverCometeer -- I have two questions for you, since your bike is in such great shape.
1) Does your bike have matching decals on both sides of the top tube? I think mine might have, but some paint damage and surface rust make it hard to tell.

2) On the right hand seat stay, my bike has this small stud sticking out on the inside of the stay, any idea what it could be? Does your bike have anything like this? The stud I am talking about is about 1/4" - 3/8" long and looks like a small nail. It is clearly part of the frame and was painted with the frame. There is only one of them and it is about halfway down the stay. I may try to get a picture tonight to make it easier to identify. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

That little stud is a chain hanger. When you have the wheel off the bike you hang the chain on it so it doesn't slap flop around.
Old 05-07-07, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greybeard -- thanks for the info. That is a very cool idea and I never thought of using it for that purpose. Once again BF comes through with the details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.