Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bag thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 01:25 PM
Lets do this

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bag thread

If anyone is still interested in debating about bags, bag makers, binding, wobbling stitching and all that, here is the place to do it!
Old 04-09-07, 01:30 PM
The Cat's Meow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, if I wanted to learn to make bags, where would you suggest I begin? I'm not very good at sewing, but I'm sure some experience could change that. I just don't know where to start.

By the way, as soon as I have the money, I'm ordering one of your black bags.
Old 04-09-07, 01:35 PM
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm...thats a ****ing tough question. Give me a couple hours.
Old 04-09-07, 01:38 PM
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word on the street is RELoad uses slave labor to make their bags...

Little Asian slaves who hate fixed gear bikes.
Old 04-09-07, 01:39 PM
Tie me up, Tie me down

Bikes: The Brown Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My PAC bag will eat anyone else's for breakfast and still have room for brunch, lunch and lupper.

So there.
Old 04-09-07, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you wanna make one your self just go at it... trial and error mixed with looking at the deminsons on your favorite makers website...
Old 04-09-07, 01:46 PM
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina

ha ha ha ha. They work so fast because they are fueled by hate for track bikes
Old 04-09-07, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, IRO Groupbuy, Trek 520, plus a bunch of homebrews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I spit my coffee all over my keyboard. DAMN YOU!!!!

lol

-ray

I would also like the veteran bagmakers suggestions for noobs. I made my first and it won't be my last. But there is definitely room for improvement.
Old 04-09-07, 02:35 PM
Zugster Bags

Bikes: Nishiki fixed gear commuter, Trek 560 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanday
So, if I wanted to learn to make bags, where would you suggest I begin? I'm not very good at sewing, but I'm sure some experience could change that. I just don't know where to start.

By the way, as soon as I have the money, I'm ordering one of your black bags.
There have been a few DIY bag-making threads on BF over the last 2 years -- when I made my first DIY bag I started collecting links for bag-making resources (incl. blogs, etc...) here: https://bike.zugster.net/compendium/bag-making-resources. The one that really inspired me was recycled banner golden mean messenger bags (which will find you a bunch more threads if you search for that title).

The "Golden mean" blog entry has a pattern, but as you can see - the basic messenger bag pattern is pretty simple, so it's fairly easy to get into. The very first little bags I ever made I prototyped with newspaper and tape:

Two things I'd specifically suggest doing are: 1) practice practice practice -- get some scrap fabric and make little bags to get a feel for things. 2) Look at any bag you can get your hands on -- turn it inside out, follow the seams, see if you can figure out how it was put together. Nothing beats hands-on research. If you've got some beat up old bag or cheap thrift store thing you can sacrifice, get a seam ripper and take it apart!
Old 04-09-07, 02:41 PM
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlippingHades
There have been a few DIY bag-making threads on BF over the last 2 years -- when I made my first DIY bag I started collecting links for bag-making resources (incl. blogs, etc...) here: https://bike.zugster.net/compendium/bag-making-resources. The one that really inspired me was recycled banner golden mean messenger bags (which will find you a bunch more threads if you search for that title).

The "Golden mean" blog entry has a pattern, but as you can see - the basic messenger bag pattern is pretty simple, so it's fairly easy to get into. The very first little bags I ever made I prototyped with newspaper and tape:

Two things I'd specifically suggest doing are: 1) practice practice practice -- get some scrap fabric and make little bags to get a feel for things. 2) Look at any bag you can get your hands on -- turn it inside out, follow the seams, see if you can figure out how it was put together. Nothing beats hands-on research. If you've got some beat up old bag or cheap thrift store thing you can sacrifice, get a seam ripper and take it apart!
Right on! He is completely right. Practice is the most important, also, you should make it your hobby to know everything about every bag company. I am sure that Adam could tell you exactly how my bags are made, and its the other way around. Also, call up some bag makers and just ask them some questions. I (and i am sure others) would be happy to talk bags with you
Old 04-09-07, 03:39 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started by disecting military baggage its cheap and built to carry weight and be comfortable and when you done you have a pile of 14oz duck or cordura and strapping to turn into a messenger bag backpack pannier what ever you feel like doing

I will also suggest getting an older home machine with a strong motor if you don't already have one older singers with .8~1 amp motors have neought gusto to go throught triple folded seams on thick material newer machins have weaker motors and plactic drive peices if you must buy a new machine singer just came out with a consumer commercial series with strong motors and all metal drive peices
also I would say get some thick needles as well 16 and 18 size work great for most things I hope this gets you going in the right direction
Old 04-09-07, 03:42 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seagull_bags
Right on! He is completely right. Practice is the most important, also, you should make it your hobby to know everything about every bag company. I am sure that Adam could tell you exactly how my bags are made, and its the other way around. Also, call up some bag makers and just ask them some questions. I (and i am sure others) would be happy to talk bags with you
Isaac and I have been talking about a "conference" where we get together and just geek on all things bag making ya know machines supplies and whatnot.
man I need to buy my red star this month eh?
Old 04-09-07, 03:58 PM
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
Isaac and I have been talking about a "conference" where we get together and just geek on all things bag making ya know machines supplies and whatnot.
I was just thinking that! This should happen. I have a great facility to do it in! (www.chopchopgallery.com)
Old 04-09-07, 04:04 PM
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And be warned, they look just like adult aged philadelphites making livable wages right out in the open inside the Reload store. I even TALKED to the little girl that made my bag, and even I didn't realize she was only 4 years old until a few days later when I remembered seeing a pacifier laying on the ground.
Old 04-09-07, 04:04 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds cool now to get the money together and the time train rides are great I hate flying you guys are all professional with studios and stuff I work out of my cramped 2 room apartment
Old 04-09-07, 04:06 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since this is the bag thread how many of you guys are using 90 or bigger
Old 04-09-07, 04:10 PM
Honking drivers see you

Bikes: Fuji Track, KHS Witch Doctor, Balance AL 750, Tank Mod Trials Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be interested in some recommended machinery that you all use for sewing the bags. I've can figure out patterns, so it's just the hardware I'm wondering about.
Old 04-09-07, 04:18 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look up a couple posts and you will see I will give a list of models I like
singer featherweight / 201, 15, 99, 300 - these are old models you can find used at a decent price they will push the thicker threads and they are old school home machines that don't take up alot of room
alot of us use juki ddl series industrial machines or walking foot version of such, I use a singer 591 d300ad (aka juki ddl 5550) it is about 20yrs old nad has fallen out of a truck and still works perfect. if you are only making a bag here and there just get and od singer
Old 04-09-07, 04:41 PM
Zugster Bags

Bikes: Nishiki fixed gear commuter, Trek 560 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since this is the bag thread how many of you guys are using 90 or bigger
Needle size or thread size? I'll answer both I use thread from size 69 up to 138, and needle sizes 18 (for 69 and 92) up to 22 (for 138 thread).
Old 04-09-07, 04:50 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I have found 90/thread to work great for just about everything I do and 16~18/needles I use a little singer quilter machine for aplique and whatnot it just works bette for detail stuff
Old 04-09-07, 05:24 PM
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlippingHades
Needle size or thread size? I'll answer both I use thread from size 69 up to 138, and needle sizes 18 (for 69 and 92) up to 22 (for 138 thread).
Yep,
Old 04-09-07, 05:29 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn now I want to run bigger thread I have to take my machine to a shop and get it a tune up first and change out my blate the hole barely fits my needle and thread now hmm oh well
Old 04-09-07, 05:54 PM
Glorified Blender

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, seriously, this is an amazing idea. But it should be in Florida because you folks love the sun and I can't afford to travel.
Old 04-09-07, 06:15 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
story of my life I keep saying we should all do it in san francisco or sacto then I wouldn't have to go no wheres
plus we could get all the big guys to show up right
Old 04-09-07, 06:23 PM
griffin_

Bikes: raliegh "too lazy to make my own" rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your website says no zipper on the black bag but there is one in the flickr photos?

this hole too big for you cordura jean patching?

Last edited by griffin_; 04-09-07 at 06:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.