Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Apollo bike ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Apollo bike ID

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apollo bike ID

Does anyone have any info on Apollo road bikes? I saw a recent thread about the WOW bike that looks a lot like my Apollo frame. Same dropouts, similar lugwork and wraparound stays. Mine came equipped with 1st generation black Dura Ace (with Crane rear der) and awesome SR bars with holes in the "sleeves". The serial number dates it to 1976 which is appropriate for the components. It had a rattle can paint job and no head badge when i found it but the owner told me it was an Apollo and I was sent an original (albeit somewhat flattened) headbadge by a terrific CR member. I never did get much info on the bike though. I would guess it was the top of the line from the DA stuff. It's very light and fast. I had it powder coated blue and created "new" decals for it but have no idea what it originally looked like. I tried posting pics but they are too large and my camera is on its lowest setting...e-mail me if you'd like to see pics.
Old 04-08-07, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
model

i think what you might have is an apollo 'imperial'/ it was the top of the line apollo, i have a 'gran sport' whictch was one below it was all shimano 600. somewhere i have more info i will try and find it.
Old 04-08-07, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apollo

Thank you, I look forward to hearing more.
Old 04-08-07, 09:57 PM
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxgeo
I tried posting pics but they are too large and my camera is on its lowest setting...e-mail me if you'd like to see pics.
Take high quality pictures and upload them to Photobucket. Then use the image tag in the post form on this site to display them.
Old 04-09-07, 10:16 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
imperial

last july i had correspondence with a fellow in portland oregon who had picked up one of these bikes (is this you?) i had sent him a bit of a flattened badge. he was going to restore the bike, paint etc. but i didn't hear back how it went. if it is not you george, then pm or email me and i will pass along his email. the bike was indeed an 'Imperial' and was equipped with black dura-ace was the apollo top of the line. these bikes were made by Kuwahara. here is a link to the Asama site in canada that has some history.:
https://www.kuwaharabicycles.com/index.php?page=history
other than that all i could find was some pics of my apollo 'gran sport'
Old 04-09-07, 09:49 PM
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey pdxgeo.
Further to what Terrors (who is an "associate" of mine) says, Apollo bicycles were made by Kuwahara in Japan and then imported to Canada and Australia. In Canada at least, the importer was Fred Deeley Cycles in Vancouver, which explains why there are so many of them around these parts. Apollo Australia still exists to this day. Like Terrors says, the Imperial was the top-of-the-line model, one above the Gran Sport (which, like Terrors, I also have one of). I actually saw an Imperial in a bike shop here in Victoria last year. The decal work was similar to most of the other Apollos of the early '80's, would be slightly different to how yours looked, if indeed yours is a '70's model, which the Crane derailleur probably confirms. I could try and get a photo of a downtube "Apollo" decal from the same 70's period for you if you want - they seem to be the same regardless of model - the only changes appear to reflect time, as aforementioned. As for the "Imperial" decal, I assume it would be along the start of the top tube and be in the same lettering as the other models. You said you already had decals, but let myself or Terrors know if you want a pic or two. I'd like to see some pics of the new powdercoat - I was actually thinking of getting my Gran Sport re-done with a powdercoat! Anyhow, they're nice bikes - even the lowly models seem well-made in terms of lugwork etc. I've even seen some nice later period (as in mid 80's) examples with cool quad butted tubing. Enjoy your ride...
Old 04-11-07, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apollo

Hi Terry, please send me your e-mail so i might forward the pics. photobucket did not work. I love the Apollo! I would like to see pics of 70's model(s) and their decal style if you have some. You sent me pics of a burgundy one I think. Was that one yours?

The Imperial had 27" Araya rims set up with the black DA hubs but I've been thinking of switching over to 700's. I might go with black open pros. I like the feel of 700 size bikes better for some reason and also the looks.

i look forward to hearing from you.

-George
Old 04-12-07, 11:39 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
apollo pics

nice to hear from you george, i sent off a couple of emails. thought you might like to look at my latest acquisition:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/285425-giubilato-campy.html