Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Found W-I-D-E cycling Shoes!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 07:53 AM
JitteryJoe

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've been using the extra long power straps with hiking shoes for two years because I'd been unable to find cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes. Now I just have to decide on a pedal!
Old 01-30-07, 09:24 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Sweet - you have the same feet I do! Adding to my list o links

It's the year of the enema!
Old 01-30-07, 11:46 PM

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Linky?
Old 01-31-07, 12:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old shoe combo?

Originally Posted by fdny_boss
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've been using the extra long power straps with hiking shoes for two years because I'd been unable to find cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes. Now I just have to decide on a pedal!
Congrats on the find but......what was wrong with the old combo? I use skater shoes with cage pedals and powergrips on one bike and toeclips and loose fitting straps on another, with no foot numbness, soreness, or need to buy special pedals in order to ride. I've heard all the talk about efficiency and have used clip in shoes myself, not to mention old school slotted cleats and real leather cycling shoes. I don't honestly notice a huge difference in pedal stroke, comfort, power output or any of the other reasons people think they need "cycling shoes and cleats". I'd be curious to know what your personal observations are after making the switch to the new shoes. Disregarding the usual enthusiasm of new stuff and coinciding increase in riding, I wonder if you'll notice any major differences in your ability to ride faster or if you'll be more comfortable.

Watch out that you keep your clips adjusted on the loose side, clear of road grit, slightly lubed and that the corresponding cleat is not gaffed from walking on rocks or whatever, preventing smooth release or entry. Don't forget you are attached to the pedals when you stop....practice in a parking lot getting in and out of the pedals before you hit the road.
Old 01-31-07, 03:08 PM
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes.
Good to know. Thanks.

I once tried a pair of Lake CX120 Touring Shoes one size larger than my standard shoes (I also have wide feet), and they were so narrow I couldn't even get them on my feet!
Old 01-31-07, 03:48 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya know I'm a 2e width and find Sidi MEGA's to be almost too wide. I figured a 4e would be a perfect fit for those.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 01-31-07, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
Congrats on the find but......what was wrong with the old combo? I use skater shoes with cage pedals and powergrips on one bike and toeclips and loose fitting straps on another, with no foot numbness, soreness, or need to buy special pedals in order to ride. I've heard all the talk about efficiency and have used clip in shoes myself, not to mention old school slotted cleats and real leather cycling shoes. I don't honestly notice a huge difference in pedal stroke, comfort, power output or any of the other reasons people think they need "cycling shoes and cleats". I'd be curious to know what your personal observations are after making the switch to the new shoes. Disregarding the usual enthusiasm of new stuff and coinciding increase in riding, I wonder if you'll notice any major differences in your ability to ride faster or if you'll be more comfortable.

Watch out that you keep your clips adjusted on the loose side, clear of road grit, slightly lubed and that the corresponding cleat is not gaffed from walking on rocks or whatever, preventing smooth release or entry. Don't forget you are attached to the pedals when you stop....practice in a parking lot getting in and out of the pedals before you hit the road.
-1 on the pedals and toe clips for me. I rode those for years and the difference with clipless is so significant that I've jettisoned almost all my old style pedals. I mean, come on, with toe clips and straps you're mostly mashing the pedals on the downstroke. Good cycling shoes and clipless pedals not only gives a sturdy platform to efficiently transfer power throughout the downward parts of the stroke, it also greatly improves the fluidity of the upstroke. If you don't believe me, check you hamstrings for the first month of steady riding after you convert. You're using more and different muscles to propel yourself forward. Please don't confuse this recommendation as a "fascination for new stuff" as you say, since I'm riding MKS Mapstage, an early clipless pedal design that was last produced around 1990. Actually kind of old school.

BTW: I ride with Sidi Mega 46's and they're fine for me. But I'm just an E width. Glad you're happy with the fit of the Lake shoes. If you're a road rider and a clyde, you might want to go with clipless road pedals of the Look Keo or Shimano Ultegra variety due to the wider platform. You can ride this style of pedal for a lot of hours in the saddle without significant hotspots under the ball of your foot from what I understand. These are the pedals I'll be looking at when my Mapstages are finally toast.
Old 01-31-07, 09:16 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Linky?
https://www.lakecycling.com/

I've got 2 pairs of Lakes..... Road and Mountain both wides. I love 'em.
Old 02-02-07, 12:06 PM
JitteryJoe

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a couple years with power straps, I would still get sore spots on my feet. I've also really felt the need for a stiffer sole, thats why the hiking shoes. Still haven't decided on pedals yet, though I do have an older (7 years) set of Looks that are hardly used, I'll probably start with them. If I do decide to stick with clipless, I've also heard great things about the Ultegra's. I'll let you guys know.
Old 02-02-07, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pedaling technique

After a couple years with power straps, I would still get sore spots on my feet. I've also really felt the need for a stiffer sole, thats why the hiking shoes. Still haven't decided on pedals yet, though I do have an older (7 years) set of Looks that are hardly used, I'll probably start with them. If I do decide to stick with clipless, I've also heard great things about the Ultegra's. I'll let you guys know.
If you are like me, I'll bet you are a big/powerfull rider and you probably have a tendancy to mash your pedals with higher gears. Skinny flyweights can't often do this. I have had to purposely gear down and spin. Once I did this, my foot problems stopped. I use skateboader style shoes because they are wide enough, with a stiffer sole than normal sport shoes. They have a narrow, rather than flaired heel. I use powergrips and on another bike, loose fitting toe straps with toeclips. The spinning technique many talk about is what you need to be doing and it doesn't require that you be firmly attached to the pedals.
Just unweight the opposite leg, the one coming on the upstroke, push forward, then down, then back a little, in the power zone. To do this you need to use a slightly lower gear for the terrain than normal. Concentrate on a slightly higher than usual cadence. Some foot retention helps but you don't need to use clip ins to make this work for you. You must however, use a pedal with a grippy surface and a softer non slippery, outer sole. No hard plastic soles or small, slick surface, pedals. I think when many say, "riding without clip ins doesn't work and is inefficient", they are thinking about the wrong combo of shoe style and pedal. In a sense, with my combo of shoe pedal and powergrip or toe clip/strap I am riding with retention....just not as much! And I have foolproof silent release.
Old 02-26-07, 07:47 PM
Old Fat Guy

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2, Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received my Sidi Genius 5 Lorica MEGAS. I wear a 14EEE and these shoes fit with room to spare.
I also loved the EASE of getting them on and off.

I'am a happy camper. Now if the pedals would only arrive.
Old 03-07-07, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump this back up! So how are the Lake CX225's work'n out! I've got feet about your size (13.5 4E) and I'd love some real cycling shoes.
Old 03-08-07, 02:40 AM
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try finding wide pedals that aren't MKS brand and over a hundred dollars. The only real options for people with big feet are BMX style and MKS Touring, everything else is too narrow for a US size 13 foot. Clipless is the best option, but it's nice to have non-clipless pedals on some bikes so you can go into stores and not have to change shoes.
Old 03-08-07, 10:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebankman
Try finding wide pedals that aren't MKS brand and over a hundred dollars. The only real options for people with big feet are BMX style and MKS Touring, everything else is too narrow for a US size 13 foot. Clipless is the best option, but it's nice to have non-clipless pedals on some bikes so you can go into stores and not have to change shoes.
I agree......and just use the wide MKS pedals with toeclips. So far no complaints. The only thing keeping me from riding faster is age and weight. Totally happy averaging between 10-20 mph depending on the route. I notice you have a Centurion Lemans check out my Centurion Super Lemans at:

https://www.myspace.com/eccentriccyclistcharlie
Old 03-08-07, 10:53 AM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strange = this...

I use size 11 4E shoes ...

I use a standard width cycling shoe with no issues. ???

Makes no sense, but its true.
Old 03-20-07, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump this back up! fdny_boss I owe you one!

I bought a pair of the Lake CX225's and THEY FREAK'N FIT. My foot size is 13 and a little wider than EEEE so I went with 48 Wides and they are best fitting shoes I've ever had. Not just cycling shoes, any shoes. The length and width are spot on perfect.

My ride setup is spd's on 30mm pedal extenders and I have enough room for a good amount of toe-out that my knees really need to keep from tanking. I'll be changing to speedplays here in a few weeks.

The Lakes look like great shoes. I'll post back in 2K miles with an update.
Old 03-20-07, 10:41 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
Ya know I'm a 2e width and find Sidi MEGA's to be almost too wide. I figured a 4e would be a perfect fit for those.
yeah I am d but I have a high instep and the regular sidis fit like a glove after the first rain storm they had to stretch just a little but not so much that it was ever terribly uncomfortable like my diadoras were