Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clyde's and Athena's Rides, the Official Thread!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 12-23-06, 08:36 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I'll start it off!

This is after I put the new saddle on, this is where I started with it when I got it home:

And the current configuration

My Raleigh:

And last, but not least, my commute bike and bad weather bike. It's a cheapie but it does the job. It's set up here for a test of load distribution for my first loaded tour last March.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-23-06, 08:39 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Nice!! I"ll have to post later on, running out the door now

It's the year of the enema!
Old 12-23-06, 09:06 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I never turn down an excuse to post pics:

Bianchi road bike

Bianchi xcross beater/commuter/do it all bike - still my favorite

Fuji World touring/commuting bike

Raleigh One-way SS/Fixie

Trek 7.2FX snow bike
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 01-21-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too never pass up a chance to post a pic of my baby.

Cant find a pic of my commuter, will try to post it later
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 12-23-06, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK here she is. 1987 Specialized Rock Hopper turned fixed gear commuter. IRO rear hub laced to a Velocity Cliff Hanger wheel. Indestructable even with my 320lbs. The bike has held up very well and I expect many years of service from it. I plan on doing a mini 2 or maybe 3 day tour with it next summer. Shown in this pic is with drop bars, but I did not care forthem and switched back the the narrow flats with bar ends last week.

Old 12-23-06, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
This is my noble steed. At the moment anyway. Replaced the wheels about 300 miles ago and they are working great. My LBS gave me a 100% guaranty that the Bontrager Race Lites were strong and would last. If they did not hold up, they would get me the 36 spoke wheel of my choice and apply the money paid for these to it or refund the difference if the cost was lower. So I figured with a guaranty like that what the heck, I went for it. Not a lick of trouble at the point.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-30-06 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 01:37 AM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres mine....it is a great riding bike and has done me well for many many miles...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
French Buffy.jpg (85.5 KB, 199 views)
Old 12-24-06, 03:01 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
05 Lemond Tourmalet and 98 Cannondale. I built the wheels myself. A couple of pics from a 74 mile ride I did with 10 fellow forum members last weekend (Dec 16th). One showing the Lemond in action and the other, a quick stop in a tunnel waiting for the rain to stop!

Old 12-27-06, 02:26 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Bike

2002 Specialized Rockhopper

Road Bike

2006 Lemond Reno

These are when i first got the bike. There have been adjustments to things, but i love the bike!
Old 12-27-06, 03:49 PM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my ride
mygt2.jpg
old and stiff as hell. Kind of like... well, me.

and one of my favorite mechanic
junior wrench.jpg
he's 15 months there.

and this is how I finished my bar tape. I think it is really cool so I post it whenever I get the chance.
08-30-06_1114.jpg
it is a little shiny so it is hard to tell, instead of tape, I finish it with masons twine. It is a lot more comfortable under your thumbs and it looks really clean.

(these are old pictures so if you are in the OCP club, please forgive my ignorance.)
Old 12-28-06, 01:05 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Habanero Titamium Team, Cannondale Criterium, Team Fuji Time Trial, Specialized Stumpjumper, Little 500 Roadmaster, Schwinn Prelude (1st bike), Schwinn 754 (2nd bike), Marinoni Time Trial Bike, K2 Enemy Cyclocross Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody's posted a Cross bike yet. Here's mine after Mudfest 2006: A K2 Enemy with mix of Dura Ace, Ultegra, and an FSA Carbon Crank.

Sorry the picture's a bit blurry. I bonked and was quivering....

Old 12-28-06, 10:49 PM

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my everything bike. No room in the Tokyo home for more than 1 bike. .. I use it for touring, commuting, shopping and river runs with some cycling buddies.

Old 12-29-06, 09:12 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RayB
This is my everything bike. No room in the Tokyo home for more than 1 bike. .. I use it for touring, commuting, shopping and river runs with some cycling buddies.

is that like a brahma bar flipped backwards with trigger type MTB brifters on what would have been the bar end?

I'm intrigued. You get a lot of different hand positions, without dropping down (nice for NYC traffic.) I'm setting an old MTB up for my winter commuter and that could be a solution.

(EDIT-- If my understanding is correct, do you have trouble with the bar flexing when you brake hard?)
Old 12-29-06, 09:55 AM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
First bike. Trek 1200c

A nice Trek frame that I never built up.

1985 Trek 520

1976 Schwinn Voyageur

2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune

1989 Pinarello frame that I never did anything with.

1985 Miyata 1000

Last edited by Mariner Fan; 10-09-08 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-29-06, 10:30 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A friend of mine says that my bike looks like the kind of thing that vagrants and transients ride because they have to, not a bike that anyone would ride because they want to.
I love my hobo-core hoopty beater bike.
It's a 1991 Stumpjumper hardtail, Salsa stem, XT hubs to Mavic XC717 rims wrapped in Schwalbe Marathon Pluses (Conti Goliaths in this pic, pre-Schwalbe install,) Freddy HC fenders, and yes that is duct tape over the wrap on the bar ends.
(Pardon the crummy pic: Taken with my camera phone in my rock*star parking spot: Right in my cube!)

Old 12-29-06, 03:11 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
A friend of mine says that my bike looks like the kind of thing that vagrants and transients ride because they have to, not a bike that anyone would ride because they want to.
I love my hobo-core hoopty beater bike.
It's a 1991 Stumpjumper hardtail, Salsa stem, XT hubs to Mavic XC717 rims wrapped in Schwalbe Marathon Pluses (Conti Goliaths in this pic, pre-Schwalbe install,) Freddy HC fenders, and yes that is duct tape over the wrap on the bar ends.
(Pardon the crummy pic: Taken with my camera phone in my rock*star parking spot: Right in my cube!)

Your friends taste is apparently limited to his mouth! That would make a fine touring machine! (Other than the Duct Tape, we'll call that a creative disguise as to what the bike is!)

Old 12-29-06, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hambone,

It is a trekking/butterfly bar with magura hydraulic rims brakes that I slapped on for a tour in the alps. Big guys need decent brakes when flying down mountains ...

But yes, I have played with this configuration in a number of angles and positions. I love the choice of hand positions I have at the moment and might, just to see what it is like, stick an adjustable stem on there to play a bit more.

I have not noticed any significant flex when braking. I used to use the flatbars with it but after a tour it took the nerves along the side of my hands 3.5 months to get their feeling back. Never again. This has solved that issue. As you mention it may be good for NY traffic, which is probably much the same I get here in Tokyo and in a commuting situation I prefer to be more upright and watchful.

Give it a shot on that old MTB, the cost was only about 30 bucks if I remember, I think nashbar does some for about 20. But, I wouldnt go to cheap for us big guys.

But, ya at the end of the day. A big guy slappin some weight onto his hands needs a few hand positions IMO to be comfortable.

The only issue I have by using the MTB brakes in this configuration is that there is no brake mechanism to interrupt the taping pattern halfway through the bar. So, when I wrap them I have to do each side in one go. The end result is you can not swap around the taping pattern so you get that natural tightening effect on the tape as you lean on it.

I might try foam grips next time around, but I am loving the gel and tape I have at the moment so may stick with it. Guess it is all about experimentation.

Here is the nashbar link...

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products

Last edited by RayB; 12-29-06 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-29-06, 09:55 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My battle station, fully armed and operational:

Old 12-30-06, 12:16 AM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone
here's my ride
and this is how I finished my bar tape. I think it is really cool so I post it whenever I get the chance.
it is a little shiny so it is hard to tell, instead of tape, I finish it with masons twine. It is a lot more comfortable under your thumbs and it looks really clean.
Looks a lot like wrapping on a fly rod. Are you a fisherman?

Mine is a very old Giant Rincon (unknown year) that I got from a friend that put about 100 miles on it in the 10 years he owned it. Paid $50.

Upgrades so far:
  • Rear rack
  • Fenders
  • V-brakes and Shimano index MTB brifters robbed from a friends Wally World Mongoose along with his shorter riser bar and bar ends.
  • $5 Wald flashlight holder for my Streamlight flashlight as a back up and primary while I am building my MR-16/tomato paste can headlight (just ordered the last of the parts from Batteryspace.com)
  • Blinky Superflash
  • Nashbar rodeo pedals
  • Saddle bag
  • Nashbar kevlar-lined Urban tires

Old pics here, but you get the idea:

Old 12-30-06, 04:16 AM
Always up to no good.

Bikes: 4 junkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to de-lurk on this section of the board.

Here's my ride. early 80's Bianchi Brava converted to single speed. Mostly shimano 600, except for dura-ace BB, technomic stem, phil hubs, and vintage rigida rims.

This bike now has some fenders (Planet Bike full coverage, which I installed with p-clips). I want to get some velocity rims to lace to the phil hubs pretty soon. The rigidas don't have that many miles left.
Old 12-30-06, 09:40 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones

Old pics here, but you get the idea:

Man that flashlight mounted on the bars brings back memories.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-30-06, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by chipcom
Man that flashlight mounted on the bars brings back memories.
From around '72? That was the last time I could even find a flashlight mount!

Old 12-30-06, 03:06 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I now have to chime in with my two rides. The first is my Scattante XRL build. The second is my bonded Ti Miyata Elevation 8000 that I am currently getting ready to strip and restore to original.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 12-30-06, 03:13 PM

Both are sweet!

Old 12-30-06, 03:49 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
From around '72? That was the last time I could even find a flashlight mount!
Duct tape worked fine for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.