Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

I am not sure if I need a new jacket

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is the first year that I have ridden at night or in the cold. I have chosen not to purchase any long sleeve jerseys because I want to layer and have flexibility not to mention the added cost of duplicating jerseys. I tend to need less clothing than most people to keep warm under normal conditions. I rode a ride recently when everyone else was wearing long sleeves and tights and I just wore my normal summer attire. The only time that I got cold was at one of the rest stops toward the end of the ride and I immediately warmed up after starting to ride again. I would have been sweating if I had as many clothes on as the other riders.

For cooler temperatures I wear my Bellweather short sleeve polyester jersey.

Next level is a DeFeet UnDeShirt for a base layer under the jersey and and DeFeet Armskins.

Finally I have a Profile brand windbreaker that I originally purchased for snow skiing. I do not remeber where I purchased it or the cost. It has a nylon liner and nylon shell. It is solid in the front except for a collar zipper that ends at chest level to loosen for putting on and taking off the jacket. It has plenty of zip pockets front and back.

The jacket does a great job of keeping the wind off. My first ride started in the morning with low to mid 40 degree temperatures and sunny, windy conditions. I was warm at first and felt that I had dressed perfectly for my first cold weather ride. Then got cold as the ride progressed. I discovered at the end of the ride that my UndeShirt and jersey were soaked in sweat which explains why I got cold.

My next cold weather ride was at night at around 35 to 40 degrees. I kept warm when I rode but got cold when we stopped and took awhile to warm back up after we started riding again. Again, base layers were wet and my jacket was wet as well on the back.

I am wondering if I need a different jacket that is made with material that breathes? I think as long as I can keep dry, I think just the jersey, armskins, and undershirt is all I need to keep warm at even lower temperatures.

Any thoughts on what type of material is best or jacket to recommend? Do I just need a different combination of layers and ditch the jacket unless it is much colder? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by dekindy; 11-03-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-03-06, 10:52 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You might look into getting something that is "waterproof breathable" and has long pit-zips, and back vents. MEC has at least one like that. REI might too.

Your "winter" temps are quite warm, so I can see why you might not want to get a long-sleeved jersey, but have you considered armwarmers?
Old 11-03-06, 11:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Your "winter" temps are quite warm, so I can see why you might not want to get a long-sleeved jersey, but have you considered armwarmers?
DeFeet Armskins are armwarmers. I believe they recommend them for 40 to 60 degree weather but I have read reviews that they work well by themselves at much lower temperatures.
Old 11-03-06, 12:19 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At that temp you don't really need a jacket if you have the right base layers. Long sleeves and a wool vest is perfect. Wool is very breathable and even keeps you warm if it should happen to get wet.
Old 11-03-06, 12:54 PM
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might look into getting something that is "waterproof breathable" and has long pit-zips, and back vents. MEC has at least one like that. REI might too.
I just received one of these from Nashbar. I tried it out this morning with a medium weight liner shirt, and it worked very well. I was using an REI shell, and it would be wet on the inside by the time I got to work. This 3 layer jacket works as advertised. Nice to have zip pockets in the front and a butt cover.
Old 11-03-06, 01:26 PM
In Real Life

Perhaps something along the lines of these:

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1162581462974

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1162581573521 I've got one very much like this one - an older model, I think - and I've been extremely happy with it. It's good in fairly chilly weather and especially good if the weather turns rainy.

You might also look into vests. I was very skeptical about them for a long time, but then I got one and I love it! For cooler conditions, but not cold enough for one of the jackets mentioned above, I wear something long sleeved (I've got several merino wool tops, several polypro tops, two long sleeved jerseys, and one long sleeved jersey that is really sort of a jacket - fleecy material with a full, jacket-like zipper to choose from), and then I put my wind-breaker vest overtop, and that can be quite comfortable.
Old 11-03-06, 01:41 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The lined jacket is your problem. You just need a shell to stop the wind. Waterproof isn't necessary unless you plan to ride in rain or very wet snow. Most jackets are somewhat water repellant if they are nylon.

Experience has taught me that the jacket is usually the thing that people focus on and spend the most money on. It has also taught me that it is the item that you can probably acquire the cheapest. ANY nylon unlined jacket will serve as a decent shell.

The more expensive jackets have things like pit zips and water repellancy which are sometimes nice but not absolutely needed. YOu just need to block the wind. In addition, you need to get rid of the heat you are generating, at least most of it. That is why a lined jacket is a bad idea, it will interfere with that part.

This morning I rode 1 hr. 45 minutes in 34 F with 20 mph and gusting North winds. Here is what i wore on my torso.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...isearch=true##

https://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...45524442590916

The jersey is about the weight of a long underwear shirt and the jacket is very, very lightweight. LIghter than the average jacket.
Old 11-03-06, 04:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone, thanks for your comments.

I did not realize that the liner in my current jacket would be making that much difference. I went to the store the other day and did not feel confident at all regarding what I might need. I will now consider a jacket with the arm pit vents and/or back vents or a vest since I think my armskins will keep my arms warm.

Portis, further thoughts please!:
I believe my under layers would be equivalent to what you are wearing.
My LBS shows the Zephrr vest online. They may have the jacket in the store. Do you think the vest would be enough?
https://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=1&id=8098
They have the Louis Garneau Stratos jacket that might be close to the Pearl Izumi Zephrr.
https://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=1&id=8585
Old 11-03-06, 05:10 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps something along the lines of these:

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1162581462974

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1162581573521 I've got one very much like this one - an older model, I think - and I've been extremely happy with it. It's good in fairly chilly weather and especially good if the weather turns rainy.

You might also look into vests. I was very skeptical about them for a long time, but then I got one and I love it! For cooler conditions, but not cold enough for one of the jackets mentioned above, I wear something long sleeved (I've got several merino wool tops, several polypro tops, two long sleeved jerseys, and one long sleeved jersey that is really sort of a jacket - fleecy material with a full, jacket-like zipper to choose from), and then I put my wind-breaker vest overtop, and that can be quite comfortable.
Given how he said his windbreaker is too hot and he is a hot person, I would very highly reccomend against the whoosh jacket. I bought one and had to return it shortly afterwards because I had a sauna forming inside my jacket and was totally drenched when I would get into work. In my opinion goretex style fabrics just aren't suitable for cycling as they do not breath enough, especially at the close to 200 dollar level. I am much much happier ith my 65 dollar super microft jacket.
Old 11-03-06, 06:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dekindy
Do you think the vest would be enough?
No. I don't. (at least not in freezing temps) A wind shell for the arms is a very good thing to have. In fact it is rarely discussed but the arms are perhaps the greatest radiators of heat while on the bike. If you ever steam up on a bike while wearing a jacket, push both of your jacket sleeves up past your elbows and notice how quickly you cool off.

Conversely, your arms can get very cold if windchill is significant. I do use an unlined vest but I use it as both a wind shell and sometimes as a light mid layer/shell. In the 40's I will wear the jersey shown above with just an unlined vest over the top. That is sufficient.

In the 20's I will use the vest under my jacket above or perhaps under my Gore tex jacket. (i wear the gore tex jacket in VERY cold temps)
Old 11-03-06, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is MEC's best jacket i think for just a shell.

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1162602812071

It keeps you dry for quite a while when needed, breaths great, has pit zips, thumb loops, is priced cheap, has reflective strips, and can be jammed into a jersey pocket.

Edit: if you need any more minimalist in a shell, look for a houdini jacket, but be prepared to pay 3x as much
Old 11-03-06, 08:09 PM
In Real Life

Do you think the vest would be enough?
In the temps you're riding in, I think a vest (combined with wool and/or polypro) would be enough. If your temps drop below freezing, or if it is raining, then I think you'd want a jacket.

I have a whole closet of choices ... I've got a vest, a light windbreaker, a waterproof/breathable jacket like the one I mentioned above, and a winter cycling jacket ... plus quite a few others ... all (including the vest) with venting, of course. Some were quite inexpensive (i.e. on sale at Nashbar), some were more expensive (i.e. the waterproof/breathable one which I must say has been one of my best cycling purchases - no regrets there!!)

I ride all year round in conditions ranging from very hot to very cold, and dry to soaking wet ... so I just pick the item I think best suits the conditions.

So don't feel you have to limit yourself to one choice.
Old 11-04-06, 08:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the temps you're riding in, I think a vest (combined with wool and/or polypro) would be enough.
I guess I don't recall exactly what temps he said that he WILL be riding in. I know that he is in Indiana and it gets cold there, much colder than what a vest would be sufficient for.
Old 11-04-06, 12:56 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Everyone, thanks for your comments.

I did not realize that the liner in my current jacket would be making that much difference. I went to the store the other day and did not feel confident at all regarding what I might need. I will now consider a jacket with the arm pit vents and/or back vents or a vest since I think my armskins will keep my arms warm.

Portis, further thoughts please!:
I believe my under layers would be equivalent to what you are wearing.
My LBS shows the Zephrr vest online. They may have the jacket in the store. Do you think the vest would be enough?
https://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=1&id=8098
They have the Louis Garneau Stratos jacket that might be close to the Pearl Izumi Zephrr.
https://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=1&id=8585
You might consider a convertable jacket like the Performance Transformer, Pearl Izumi Vagabond or the Cannondale Morphis for wetter weather. These all convert to vests which has some advantages as the temperature fluctates.

You also don't say what your head and hand coverings are. Often these can have an influence on the rest of your body. I find that I don't need a head covering but only something for my ears down to 16 F or so. I also wear what most would consider light gloves down to those temperatures. When I need to shed heat, I'll change to cooler gloves and remove the ear warmer. It helps a lot.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-04-06 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-04-06, 02:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You also don't say what your head and hand coverings are. Often these can have an influence on the rest of your body. I find that I don't need a head covering but only something for my ears down to 16 F or so. I also wear what most would consider light gloves down to those temperatures. When I need to shed heat, I'll change to cooler gloves and remove the ear warmer. It helps a lot.
I, like you, have just been wearing a headband to cover my ears. It was warm enough for the temperatures that I have been riding but it was too thick to wear with my goggles(Bolle's with optical inserts so I have to have them). There was not enough room between my helmet and goggles for the headband so the goggles were being pressed down on my face and were uncomfortable. I also could not use my third eye. I purchased a Pearl Izumi Microsensor facemask to use in cold weather that I hope will accomodate my goggles and possible the third eye. I have not tried it yet. I may just wear my regular glasses.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=021

I have just been wearing some light cotton glove liners that I bought a long time ago for skiing and they have kept my fingers nice and warm. I have ski mittens to wear if it gets really cold. I looked at cycling gloves the other day but opted to stay with what I have for now unless future experience dictates otherwise. I liked the gloves that had mitten hide away covers for really cold temperatures.
Old 11-04-06, 02:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like the ideal jacket would be water resistant, breatheable, have arm pit and back vents, removeable sleeves, and fleece neck lining. I would specify removeable liner also but I have not seen one with that feature. As you can see, I would like to have only one coat that does it all which may not be possible.

My wife drives me crazy because my son has 5 different coats.
Old 11-05-06, 11:24 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I, like you, have just been wearing a headband to cover my ears. It was warm enough for the temperatures that I have been riding but it was too thick to wear with my goggles(Bolle's with optical inserts so I have to have them). There was not enough room between my helmet and goggles for the headband so the goggles were being pressed down on my face and were uncomfortable. I also could not use my third eye. I purchased a Pearl Izumi Microsensor facemask to use in cold weather that I hope will accomodate my goggles and possible the third eye. I have not tried it yet. I may just wear my regular glasses.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=021

I have just been wearing some light cotton glove liners that I bought a long time ago for skiing and they have kept my fingers nice and warm. I have ski mittens to wear if it gets really cold. I looked at cycling gloves the other day but opted to stay with what I have for now unless future experience dictates otherwise. I liked the gloves that had mitten hide away covers for really cold temperatures.
You might want to use a thinner ear warmer. I use Seirus ear warmers that at pretty thin but warm. I also push them up above my forehead (and above the forehead pad on the helmet) so that they don't press down on my glasses (I use Rudy Project Kerosenes with Rx insert). I have noticed what you are talking about if I wear the earwarmer too low.

I mount my mirror on the helmet because I can't stand the extra weight on my glasses.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-05-06, 11:35 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My next cold weather ride was at night at around 35 to 40 degrees
Above zero? That's not cold. That's shorts weather! Just stay dry and you shouldn't have any problems in those temps.
Old 11-06-06, 12:08 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Cosmoline
Above zero? That's not cold. That's shorts weather! Just stay dry and you shouldn't have any problems in those temps.

And the OP has indicated that he is a warm rider (whereas I'm a cold rider - I feel cold the moment I get on my bicycle in all but really HOT weather unless I have several layers of clothing on) .... which is why I suggested a wool layer or two, and a vest to block the wind.
Old 11-06-06, 02:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to know

Originally Posted by cyccommute
(I use Rudy Project Kerosenes with Rx insert)
I can no longer purchase replacement parts for my Bolle's and had not seen any alternatives. I am glad to learn about the Rudy's and there is a local dealer close to me. Thanks.