Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Short and Saddle Combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 07:01 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short and Saddle Combo

Hey guys I am trying to make cycling as comfortable as possible and would like some help. So far my feet and hands are good but my butt is not. I am looking to buy cycling shorts and a new saddle but would like some input. I am going to start with cycling shorts then see how bad I will need a saddle.

Heres some info to help you out. I am a 6' 280lb male. Ride a Lemond Reno Road bike. The setup is not super agressive. Maybe a 1 - 3" drop from saddle to bars. I cant really see paying over $60 for a pair of shorts unless I know they will be quality. I ride anywhere from 10 - 25 miles at a time but I am still new so I will definately up that number and will eventually do centuries.

1. Should padding be in the shorts or the saddle, neither, or both?

2. Should I get a gel saddle? something like a specialized toupe gel, avatar gel, milano gel, ect.... Should I get padded shorts? Are they all padded or only some?

3. As far as shorts go. I have never seen so many different types. I dont even know where to start. What is a good company to start looking for. I am a 42" waist so I dont know if all companies will have my size. Whats a good material? I see 6 panel and 8 panel? All different styles of chamois' too. How does the sizing usually run?

I did some research and these are really the only ones I have found. Are they any good? any recomendations on a specific short?

Pearl Izumi Quest Short?
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...at%3A%20Shorts

Aerotech 8 panel, Classic, or Top Shelf shorts
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bigsize.htm#mens8P
Old 11-02-06, 08:31 PM
Retro-guy

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some Pearl Izumi shorts that look at least fairly close to the link you posted, although I can't say that I've counted the panels. Mine are all black, as in the link, except for the little PI logos. The chamois is some kind of synthetic material, and is colored blue. I would describe the level of padding provided as being in the middle. I don't think I paid too much for these. It was either at REI or at a Copelands sports, and probably around $50 (might have been a sale of some kind). Mine are XL, which fits fine. (I normally take 38 in. waist pants, but I might be closer to 39 inches.)

My saddle is a slightly padded LeMond brand saddle, that didn't cost too much. Basically a normal road saddle shape, leather-covered with the "anatomical" cutout. I think there are two small gel areas under the leather, but the saddle doesn't feel "gel-like" or squishy at all - more of a firm padding feel. I liked it because it was pretty nice quality, and "modern" in terms of design, but it doesn't look out of place on my 1980 road bike. I don't usually ride for more than 2 hours at a time, but I don't ever get a sore butt, either, so seat comfort isn't a limiting factor. For me, having slight to moderate padding in both saddle and shorts works. (I'm 6'5" and about 240 lbs.)
Old 11-02-06, 09:47 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Should padding be in the shorts or the saddle, neither, or both?
less padding on the saddle
more padding = more discomfort on an exponential scale
saddles are like shoes - do NOT buy one without trying it for size - see this thread for athe specialized solution to measurement https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/242143-specialized-sit-bone-measuring-tool.html
using the pelvic measurement tool in the thread linked as a starting point for saddle choice take the bike to the bike shop and switch out saddles until you find one that's comfortable

well made padded BIB shorts(bib becuase regular shorts make me feel like I'm being cut in half)
generally more expensive = better but mine are mid range and quite comfortable
as with saddles too much padding is a bad thing and seams in the chamois/padding can become very painful on even short rides

2. Should I get a gel saddle? something like a specialized toupe gel, avatar gel, milano gel, ect.... Should I get padded shorts? Are they all padded or only some?
as above
3. As far as shorts go. I have never seen so many different types. I dont even know where to start. What is a good company to start looking for. I am a 42" waist so I dont know if all companies will have my size. Whats a good material? I see 6 panel and 8 panel? All different styles of chamois' too. How does the sizing usually run?
more panels = better fit
bib shorts = all day comfort
artificial/synthetic chamois or man made pads are better as I hate the feel of a lubed up real chamois (mmmm, chamois cream......NOT!)

I did some research and these are really the only ones I have found. Are they any good? any recomendations on a specific short?
go with what feels comfortable
that is, as with the saddles try before you buy

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 11-02-06, 11:03 PM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's funny, I was going to say I prefer a real chamois not synthetic.
Different goats for different folks.

Originally Posted by markhr
more panels = better fit
bib shorts = all day comfort
artificial/synthetic chamois or man made pads are better as I hate the feel of a lubed up real chamois (mmmm, chamois cream......NOT!)

go with what feels comfortable
that is, as with the saddles try before you buy

Old 11-03-06, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Pearl Izumi 3D micro fiber shorts are the greatest invention since sliced bread.
Saddle should be hard.
Clipless pedals mean less upperbody movement (bum rubbin) than platform pedals.
Old 11-03-06, 04:20 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
6'1 and 230 lbs (hard to believe you outweigh me by 50 lbs and only 2 inches on the waist)

I did 23 centuries last year. 15 on a Terry Fly. Feels real nice, but I'd have to say more saddle time is the key. Can't do one 15 mile ride a week then expect to be feeling comfy on a century. SO that's number one!

Terry Fly was great from the first ride. $90 (seen 'em for $109), but got it on sale at Performance for $59. Good thing about Perormance was they said if I wasn't happy within 30 days, bring it back!

Also have WTB Rocket V on my Cannondale (8 centuries on it last year). Actually an MTB seat, but real comfy for me as it has the swoosh design. The shell under the seat has a cut out, but not the seat cover, so it feels like the boys are resting in a hammock(sp?).

Bontrager seat felt fine for 20 miles but anything over was real uncomfy, so I ditched it.

As far as shorts, don't skimp whatever you do! I've tried the $50 pair and is a waste of money in my opinion. Cause once you try a pair of Ultasensors ($75?), you won't be happy with anything else of lesser quality. Meaning other brands at this level should be fine too. Although some prefer one brand to another. Makes a BIG differnce 70 miles into a century!
Old 11-03-06, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
For me, finding shorts that fit has been a problem. Seems like once a find some, they quit making them. Now I am using Performance Century Gel in XXXL. I'd prefer less or no gel, but these are the only 3x shorts I've found. I would pay more money if I knew something was going to work, but I have bought several different brands of XL or XXL and they are just too tight.
Old 11-03-06, 09:08 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
For me, finding shorts that fit has been a problem. Seems like once a find some, they quit making them. Now I am using Performance Century Gel in XXXL. I'd prefer less or no gel, but these are the only 3x shorts I've found. I would pay more money if I knew something was going to work, but I have bought several different brands of XL or XXL and they are just too tight.
www.aerotechdesigns.com

Up to 3X and shorts and jerseys as well

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-03-06, 09:16 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
have you used there shorts before? How do they compare to the Pearl Izumi's or other name brand?

Right now I am considering the Pearl Izumi UltraSensor Short.
Old 11-03-06, 09:29 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
have you used there shorts before? How do they compare to the Pearl Izumi's or other name brand?

Yes I have and they are quite comfortable. I wouldn't recommend them if I hadn't tried them out. I sure don't get any product endorsement fees from them! The chamois is a bit thinner than PI, but also doesn't get stinkey! They wick sweat very well and are pretty durable.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-03-06, 10:49 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turboem1

Am I the only one who's never really been impressed with Pearl Izumi shorts? Maybe my LBS has been selling counterfeits, but they sure seem overpriced and flimsy. The store brand bib shorts I got from Performance for $40, for example, are much sturdier material and more precisely stitched than the PI's that cost me about $100. I do like my Zephyr vest, but I've really had trouble understanding how stores would manage to sell some of the PI products at all, were it not for clearance sales.

Now back to the OP - Turbo, the advice above has it nailed. Don't expect more padding to make you comfortable. You want a saddle that will take on the shape of your sit bones and distribute weight over a larger area of bone. When a saddle is more heavily padded, the weight gets distributed to soft tissue around the bones, and that is what gets really painful. IMO, gel pads are even worse than foam. I think most people eventually find they want just enough padding to keep the saddle from feeling like cast iron, and no more.
Old 11-03-06, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
www.aerotechdesigns.com

Up to 3X and shorts and jerseys as well
Thanks, Tom. They go up to 5x in some of the shorts!
Old 11-03-06, 12:15 PM
HEY! I'm talkin' to YOU!

Bikes: Trek 7.5/FX 2006, 1980's Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a newbie, I spent a lot of time squirming in the saddle till I got cycling shorts. I settled on the PI Ultrasensors, and I agree with the other positive comments - well worth the money. I also agree that having saddle support & comfort (some pressure-spreading "give") under the pelvic bones is what you want, but too wide leads to chafing. I bought a gel cover for my saddle, but stopped using it after I got the shorts & a better fitting saddle.

Regarding flimsiness, I am happy with the shorts so far & I machine wash & dry them, but have too few miles to offer an opinion yet.
Old 11-03-06, 12:23 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GCRyder
Am I the only one who's never really been impressed with Pearl Izumi shorts? Maybe my LBS has been selling counterfeits, but they sure seem overpriced and flimsy. The store brand bib shorts I got from Performance for $40, for example, are much sturdier material and more precisely stitched than the PI's that cost me about $100. I do like my Zephyr vest, but I've really had trouble understanding how stores would manage to sell some of the PI products at all, were it not for clearance sales.
For the most part, I won't use any other shorts (bibs only) except Pearl Izumis. They do cost a bit more (not as high as some), but they fit me fine, last at least a whole season, and the chamois is one of the best around.

I've used real chamois in the past (without cream) and now use the synthetic stuff--no problems either way.

I've found cheaper shorts don't fit as well (read: feel uncomfortable), and the chamois is terrible (flattens out quickly, chaffes in the wrong places, etc...)

Overall advice: try some on, find one that fits well (price be da*ned), and stick to it unless you have a reason for switching.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-03-06, 08:01 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are Pearl Izumi UltraSensor Shorts synthetic or real chamois? what about the aerotech?

Also another dumb question. Can you ride with out lube or do they always have to be lubed?
Old 11-04-06, 08:38 AM

You don't have to lube synthetics, some people do. As for real chamois, if you ever used a chamois to dry your car windows and then left it to dry, you find it as stiff as a board. Imagine that in your crotch for a few miles. You don't have to use products made for this, you can use hand lotion, etc.
Old 11-04-06, 05:10 PM
Fun in the tub, no ring!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My choices and YAMMV

I have been riding for years and started MTB then to road now to both and even tried a 'bent. I have come to love Assos bib shorts and some type of coolmax top be it jersey, shirt, sleeveless. In addition I have used all of the chamois types and DO use a chamois cream which has eliminated ANY crotch problems. On advisory is when using a real chamois, use so type of lube a leather sticking to skin can become uncomfortable.

AFA saddles are concerned, for years (10+) used a Selle Italia Turbomatic [real leather] and it and my butt became fast friends and equipped all of my rides accordingly. I then switched to a Selle Italia Pro Link and have ridden that for the past 5 years but still have the Turbomatics. I did buy and have a Brooks B17 Champion resting comfortably in packaging in a cool place. May try it someday but don't like to fix what is not broken. I ride about 3K miles a year minimum albeit at my own pace (16mph).
Old 11-04-06, 10:55 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can take my post for what it is, just my own experiences.
I tried the padded cycle shorts route and did not like it. For some reason I felt like my 16 month old, wearing a diaper.
I tried several different saddles, giving each of them fair time to break in. None of them (excluding my brooks) did the trick for taking away the pain. But the brooks I used was just a loaner and I could not afford to purchase one.
My wife ended up purchasing me an air saddle from nashbar. It is a nashbar branded saddle and she paid around 20 bucks for it. I thought it to be gimicky. You pumped it up with air using your tire pump and could make it as hard or as soft as you wanted. She also purchased me a nashbar suspension seat post, which I also thought would be useless.
Well, I LOVE THEM!! The seat post does bounce a little when I am spinning hard, but I use that as my shift light, letting me know to change gears. The saddle is awesome and I have plans on purchasing another unless this one wears out prematurely.