Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reynolds 953 in production

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reynolds 953 in production

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 10:23 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Reviving this old thread, I finally got my 953 Waterford this week. I ordered it in November, so it took a while. My riding experience with it so far has been several miles around Golden Gate Park. So far, I'm really impressed. Even with a heavy Brooks saddle, 36 spoke Open Pros, and pedals, it weighs 20.5 pounds (61 cm frame).

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 05-06-07 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 01:00 AM
Accuracy is Speed

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 928 C2C w/ Ultegra compact

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a very sweet bike. The natural shine of polished steel blows away Ti any day of the week. I love it. Mmmmmm... I was originally dreaming of a custom Ti cyclocross bike, but now you got me thinking of a custom 953 single-speed superlight runabout.
Old 05-05-07, 01:24 AM
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Very nice frame-set. That will have to be next.....
Old 05-05-07, 02:54 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Reviving this old thread, I finally got my 953 Waterford this week. I ordered it in November, so it took a while. My riding experience with it so far has been several miles around Golden Gate Park. So far, I'm really impressed. Even with a heavy Brooks saddle, 36 spoke Open Pros, and pedals, it weighs 20.5 pounds (61 cm frame).

After I told myself no more toys, why did you have to go and post pics. I've always wanted a chrome plated Paramount, until now. The lugs look great. Would it be tacky to inquire about price? I would sell all my bikes for that. Good luck

Tim
Old 05-05-07, 03:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really curious what it weighs without a 4lb saddle and 2000+gram wheels. What kind of hubs and spokes?
Old 05-05-07, 04:40 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by brianallan
is this a completely absurd analogy?
Can rhetorical questions ever find an answer?
Old 05-05-07, 06:10 AM
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loves me some Waterford's.
Old 05-05-07, 08:21 AM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by brianallan
I'm really curious what it weighs without a 4lb saddle and 2000+gram wheels. What kind of hubs and spokes?
I thought I had asked the LBS to weigh the frameset before building it up, but they didn't.
The fork is chromed Reynolds 531, so the frameset could be made considerably lighter by using a carbon fiber fork; I was more interested in having a classic look than in making it as light as possible.

The hubs are Campy Record and the spokes are stainless double-butted 2.0/1.8 DT Swiss "Competition". I built up the wheels myself while waiting for the frame.

my bikes

Old 05-05-07, 09:04 AM
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm closing in on 700 miles on my 953 - had it since last October.

Yours is gorgeous, I think you'll find it can be built into a bike that gives a great ride. I'm very satisfied with mine.
Old 05-05-07, 09:07 AM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by terry b
I'm closing in on 700 miles on my 953 - had it since last October.

Yours is gorgeous, I think you'll find it can be built into a bike that gives a great ride. I'm very satisfied with mine.
Thanks, Terry. I've read your posts with interest and your enthusiasm inspired me.

my bikes

Old 05-05-07, 09:16 AM
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest let down on 953 is weight. Despite all the yammering that IF did at the 2005 Interbike, it turns out that it's not a flyweight material. My frame, TIG-welded in a standard 57cm weighs about 3.75 pounds. Almost .5 pounds more than an equivalent True Temper S3. Builds a nice, reasonably light steel bike but it's never going to challenge CF or aluminum.
Old 05-05-07, 09:49 AM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by terry b
The biggest let down on 953 is weight. Despite all the yammering that IF did at the 2005 Interbike, it turns out that it's not a flyweight material. My frame, TIG-welded in a standard 57cm weighs about 3.75 pounds. Almost .5 pounds more than an equivalent True Temper S3. Builds a nice, reasonably light steel bike but it's never going to challenge CF or aluminum.
Yes, I agree. Although my frame wasn't weighed before it was built up, Waterford built a similar 953 frame that was weighed, and it came in at 1700 grams. That was a 62 cm frame and mine is slightly smaller at 61 cm, but the weight is a little disappointing.

On the other hand, my 61 cm chrome 531 P15-9 Paramount weighs 25 pounds, so I'm pretty happy with the Waterford which is five pounds lighter than I'm accustomed to..

my bikes

Old 05-05-07, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Yes, I agree. Although my frame wasn't weighed before it was built up, Waterford built a similar 953 frame that was weighed, and it came in at 1700 grams. That was a 62 cm frame and mine is slightly smaller at 61 cm, but the weight is a little disappointing.
My understanding is that Reynolds is working to improve their tube forming process to get the 953 tubes closer to spec - they are thicker than advertised right now. Considering the small tube diameters necessary for use with lugs, I don't think thinner equals better though unless you favor weight reduction over bottom bracket stiffness.

Beautiful frame by the way. That's the kind of ride that you can keep with you for years to come - unlike some of the more modern stuff that comes/goes out of fashion at the whim of the collective.

Enjoy.
Old 05-05-07, 04:48 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
My understanding is that Reynolds is working to improve their tube forming process to get the 953 tubes closer to spec - they are thicker than advertised right now. Considering the small tube diameters necessary for use with lugs, I don't think thinner equals better though unless you favor weight reduction over bottom bracket stiffness.

Beautiful frame by the way. That's the kind of ride that you can keep with you for years to come - unlike some of the more modern stuff that comes/goes out of fashion at the whim of the collective.

Enjoy.

Why couldn't they make a bike with thicker 953 tubing that would weigh the same as an 853 frame, but be twice a strong? The idea of a bike costing thousands of dollars that is constructed with .3mm thin tubing is not that appealing to me.