Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

broken track nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 09:30 AM
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
broken track nut

or at least I broke the part of the nut that holds the rear wheel on.

Ok, so I was replacing the tube, and was tightening down on the track nut on the drive side, and I heard a pinging noise. I undid the track nut and the inner half of the nut had cracked in half. I don't know what to call this, but if you know how you have the 15 mm nut, then a funny little attached washer thingy with ridges to grip the dropout... well, the thing that broke threads onto the spindle and has the ridges to grip the dropout on the inside.

Anyway, this just cracked in half and was wondering if anyone can tell me what it is, so I can get a new one (and probably some spacers, since I need them). I ended up turning it 90* so that the crack was running vertically and tightened it just enough to hold it all in place. It's held up for another 20 miles, but I don't want to push it.

I know... pictures! I'll get them tonight...
Old 10-03-06, 09:32 AM
roll'em high

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i suspect that you're talking about the locknut.
Old 10-03-06, 09:32 AM
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rocks, you need to know the threading on your axle. if you are running formula or iro hubs (which i think you are but can't remember) go to bicycle pro shop in georgetown and get a new set on the cheap. ask for a set of 15mm 10x1 threaded track nuts. i know they have them there and won't overcharge you.
Old 10-03-06, 09:34 AM
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shants
i suspect that you're talking about the locknut.
i think he meant he broke the track nut itself and is trying to explain the attached washer. but if it is a locknut, they have those at bicycle pro shop as well.
Old 10-03-06, 09:35 AM
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

yeah, they're IRO (or formula whatever) ok, thanks for the tip ryan, I'll be up that way tomorrow anyway.

Yes, locknut seems like the right term.
Old 10-03-06, 09:35 AM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, the thing that broke threads onto the spindle and has the ridges to grip the dropout on the inside.
if it's the piece on the inside of the dropout, then it's the locknut. those things break all of the time.
Old 10-03-06, 09:37 AM
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's called an outer locknut (like shants said) and quality bicycle products seems to be out at the moment (they're who a lot of bike shops order from). the guys at revolution in georgetown (or bicycle pro shop, i never remember which is which) gave me one the other day, but just cause they had it laying around. worth a shot.

if it's an IRO rear you'll need something that's 10mm diameter and 1mm thread pitch.
poser/hipster/whatever

Bikes: d/a allez -trek t1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gotta agree with shants...my friend broke a locknut on his formulas too!
...addicted...

Originally Posted by ryand
i think he meant he broke the track nut itself and is trying to explain the attached washer. but if it is a locknut, they have those at bicycle pro shop as well.
actually the nut istelf is fine, it's the part that goes directly on the other side of the dropout that's cracked.
Old 10-03-06, 09:39 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've broken three so far. If you are not having problems with the wheel slipping you can replace them with non-hardened ones that will be alot less prone to cracking but won't bite in as well.
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh yeah, in a pinch i've used a regular ole track nut screwed on inside out. much wider than the locknut it replaces, but you say you need spacers so it might just work out.
dutret has a posse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, outer locknut. go to georgetown and get one from bicycle pro shop. they will only charge you a dollar or two usually. as john and i have said, the threading is 10x1, they make them in different sizes and widths. i use a 15mm(for a 15mm cone wrench use) and then you can pick the width to make it fit your spacing best. good luck rocks.
Old 10-03-06, 09:42 AM
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he means the locknut on the inside of the dropout, not the one attached to the tracknut on the outside. i broke one too, and my bike shop just gave me one. you can use them for spacers too. it's no big deal.
Old 10-03-06, 10:04 AM
Biggity-bam

Bikes: Pista Concept, Fetish beater, Fuji road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure those the locknut is tightened when you put them back on. Not too tight because that may produce more pressure on your bearings. From the times I've broken them it occured because the locknut was not absolutely next to the stuff it was locking, so there were only the threads "pushing back." When everything is tight everything else on the inside is giving some strength to the locknut too. What I'm trying to say is it's breaking over the threads.
Old 10-03-06, 11:30 AM
...addicted...

Originally Posted by Learn_not2burn
Make sure those the locknut is tightened when you put them back on. Not too tight because that may produce more pressure on your bearings. From the times I've broken them it occured because the locknut was not absolutely next to the stuff it was locking, so there were only the threads "pushing back." When everything is tight everything else on the inside is giving some strength to the locknut too. What I'm trying to say is it's breaking over the threads.

I suspect this to be the case here too, I think the locknut was a little loose, not right up next to the bearing race and that may have precipitated the cracking...

thanks for all the advice, I think I may actually try an outside locknut on the inside to space it correclty.

glad to hear this is a common problem and other more compotent people (dutret esp.) have had to deal with it as well.