Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A Spring Clydesdale challenge....

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 04:54 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I'd like to propose a challenge to the Clydes on the forum!
A)If you haven't done a metric century yet....by May 30th, 2007, have a 62 mile ride under your belt

B) If you've done the metric, then by the same date, have a century under the belt.

C) If you've already done a century, do a double century.

Rules of the challenge:
1: You can use SAG support
2: Pictures are a must!
3: Post your route, using either Gmaps Pedometer or Google Earth map image with waypoints posted.
4: Must complete this in a 24 hr period
5: Post your intent on the Clyde forum, listing date and planned begin/end points so we can wish you well!
6: Post ride report is a must, whether you finish it or not! No shame if ya don't finish, it's far better to try and learn from a DNF than to never try at all. The victory though is truly sweet!
7: Helmet required (Safety!)

If you take this up, good luck and train hard! Let us know!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-24-06, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Schwinn High Plains, Trek 750 Multi-Track, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Idea. I'm 6'-1" and 230 lbs. I ride a 21" (too small) 1991 Schwinn High Plains MTB with multiple mods including slick tires, taller adjustable stem, bar ends, new saddle and ergo grips.

I'm riding the KATY trail end-to-end with a friend of mine (non-clyde) on Oct 5 - 7. That's 225 miles in 3 days, so I'll get the metric each day. We're also planning on adding on some extra to the last day to make it a normal century.

I've ridden almost 1900 miles since Labor Day 2005 in preparation. Unless we have terrible weather, it should be a snap. We're doing west to east with stops around Booneville/Rocheport and Bluffton and ending in St. Charles (home).

I just put in 53.5 on the KATY this afternoon/evening.

I'll report back.
Old 09-24-06, 07:53 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by kknh3
Great Idea. I'm 6'-1" and 230 lbs. I ride a 21" (too small) 1991 Schwinn High Plains MTB with multiple mods including slick tires, taller adjustable stem, bar ends, new saddle and ergo grips.

I'm riding the KATY trail end-to-end with a friend of mine (non-clyde) on Oct 5 - 7. That's 225 miles in 3 days, so I'll get the metric each day. We're also planning on adding on some extra to the last day to make it a normal century.

I've ridden almost 1900 miles since Labor Day 2005 in preparation. Unless we have terrible weather, it should be a snap. We're doing west to east with stops around Booneville/Rocheport and Bluffton and ending in St. Charles (home).

I just put in 53.5 on the KATY this afternoon/evening.

I'll report back.
Sounds great! Have fun with the ride! Remember....pics!

Old 09-24-06, 08:24 PM
Old enough to know better

Bikes: pilot 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
A)If you haven't done a metric century yet....by May 30th, 2007, have a 62 mile ride under your belt

B) If you've done the metric, then by the same date, have a century under the belt.

Tom

Looking for one last centrury before the snow flies. Looking at around mid October, I'll keep you posted

Emil
Old 09-24-06, 09:25 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'll take that challenge. The only thing holding me back right now is the fit of my bike - but I just spotted a bike on CL that may work better than the mtb. Hoping they get back to me. When I sort that out I'll post a date and time

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-24-06, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Air
I'll take that challenge. The only thing holding me back right now is the fit of my bike - but I just spotted a bike on CL that may work better than the mtb. Hoping they get back to me. When I sort that out I'll post a date and time
Well, Air, ypou've got til end of May to train for it! Go for it!

Old 09-25-06, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll jump on board. I've got a couple of metric centuries behind me and I've been looking to do a full century. Hopefully I can find the time this fall to get one in. I'll certainly post my plans for the ride when things come together. Just a reminder to everyone to ride safely and stay hydrated as you go the distance.
Old 09-25-06, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't done a century in over 10 years; longest ride since that time was the Solvang half century last March.

Oct 14 I'm shooting for the Riverside to Surfside, a 106-miler. I don't think they post the route online but it's Riverside, CA to Huntington Beach, CA and back along the Santa Ana River Trail I believe.

I'm going to try for four centuries in 2007.
Old 09-25-06, 09:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right now, my next cycling goal is to do a 24hr version of a metric to english conversion--1km for every lb I weigh. I think I'm going to have to wait on that until next April/May, though. I figure it will take about 16-18hrs to do 290km, and my light, while bright, doesn't have the battery life that I'd need to do it.
Old 09-25-06, 10:04 AM

May 30, 07 is the end of the challenge, so we've all got plenty of time here!

Old 09-25-06, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road or Mountain????

I'm training for a 50 mile off-road ride in Feb.

There are three different rides in North Florida in Jan-Feb. I'm planning on doing 1 of the 3. I've got friends (lightweight XC guys) that do all three and they want me to join them.

I did the 50 a couple of years ago and that's enough for me. I took me about 6 hours to complete.

They don't have the '07 info yet, but here's a link to the one I did in '04. https://www.suwanneebike.org/events.htm
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-25-06, 04:37 PM
Super Clydesdale

Bikes: Giant OCR 3 Roadbike and Gary Fisher Marlin Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe

Rules of the challenge:
1: You can use SAG support
2: Pictures are a must!
3: Post your route, using either Gmaps Pedometer or Google Earth map image with waypoints posted.
4: Must complete this in a 24 hr period
5: Post your intent on the Clyde forum, listing date and planned begin/end points so we can wish you well!
6: Post ride report is a must, whether you finish it or not! No shame if ya don't finish, it's far better to try and learn from a DNF than to never try at all. The victory though is truly sweet!
7: Helmet required (Safety!)

Count me in! I'm new to Bike Forums and just joined because of this Clydesdale Forum! I currently weigh-in at 276.6 pounds and have lost over 113 pounds total. My goal is to continue losing weight over the winter for the sole purpose of starting next spring as a lighter bike rider. My current long ride is 50 miles (I've done that twice) and I think a metric century would be a great way to kick off my riding season next spring! I wanna ride in a local century ride in May so I'll try to hit my metric sometime in April as part of my training. Thanks for the challenge Tom!
Old 09-25-06, 05:18 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wow - that's awesome!!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-25-06, 07:23 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take the challenge too!!!

I haven't done a metric yet...but I'm sure I can work up to it. I've done nearly 50 miles before...but have slacked a bit and need to work those miles back up again.
Old 09-25-06, 07:29 PM

KT, May 30 is the deadline, so plenty of time! My goal is a May Double Century! Looking at Lafayette to Cincinatti, OH 205 miles.

Old 09-25-06, 10:20 PM
Powerlifting cyclist..

Bikes: Merlin/Spectrum Ti, specialized hardrock, Indy fabs SSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im in on the 62 and maybe the century ( I assume thats 100?) yes Im a noobie

Im a powerlifter and down to 206 from 212 3 weeks ago when I started cycling in lieu of the heavy lifting. I have around 350 miles on my bike and will do my first 50 miler this sunday. My buddies say I need to get use to group riding, so I will work on that. I have been riding between 20-30 miles 6 days a week and having a leg day and upper body day in the gym. In honesty I was pretty good cardio shape when I started and am really glad for it because it kept me excited as I was getting through the growing pains. I most likely will be under 200 lbs by the time but ill do my best to retain lbm cause yes, I want to be called a clydsedale.. I ride a performance house bike called a terrino razzo.. its alright with 105 set and really is just my learning bike.

good luck everyone!
Old 09-26-06, 05:24 AM

Welcome to the challenge

Yup, the Century is a 100 mile ride. As far as I am concerned though, if you work your way below Clyde status by a couple of pounds, you're still a Clyde!

Old 09-26-06, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
Road or Mountain????

I'm training for a 50 mile off-road ride in Feb.

There are three different rides in North Florida in Jan-Feb. I'm planning on doing 1 of the 3. I've got friends (lightweight XC guys) that do all three and they want me to join them.

I did the 50 a couple of years ago and that's enough for me. I took me about 6 hours to complete.

They don't have the '07 info yet, but here's a link to the one I did in '04. https://www.suwanneebike.org/events.htm
Either road or MTB ride is fine! Whichever you prefer! A ride is a ride after all! Frankly, an offroad century is harder than a road century, so either is acceptable!

Old 09-26-06, 07:02 AM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I'm all done with centuries for 2006. After the Ironman I'm kind of sick of my bike and just want to do the short commute to work and back. Next year I plan to do a complete brevet series though. 200k will be in April, 300k in early May, 400k in Late may and 600k in June. I know it doesn't fit with the challenge exactly, but my longest ride to date is 300k, and by June of next year I will have done double that.
Old 09-26-06, 10:04 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in. I need to do a century before June '07, as then I'll be doing the "Tour De Nebraska", a 5 day journey that's usually between 60-70 miles/day.

Chalk me down for March 1, 2007.
Old 09-26-06, 11:08 AM
Powerlifting cyclist..

Bikes: Merlin/Spectrum Ti, specialized hardrock, Indy fabs SSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woot woot..

thanks bud, im all over it with lots of pictures of the beautiful Tucson Sunrise and riding areas!

one last question, im really green..

what is SAG support? group riding?

thanks

Huzzah, I come from the powerlifting/bodybuilding side of things and have learned a ton about nutrition and training for weight loss. Ill be 39 and im around 11% but was 26%bf 3 years ago. I have some nice goal charts and nutritional information in PDF form if your interested PM me. Us older guys need to stick together! Cheers.

Last edited by momod; 09-26-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-26-06, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!

This will be a great milestone for me next year. I plan on training for the MS150 which is in August. I want to ride there and back, not just one way. To train for this 62 mile ride will be a good goal for me.

BTW - I am pretty new to biking again as I gave it up once I turned 16 and got a car! I'm now 37, almost 38, 6' 3" and weigh 260lbs. My goal is to lose as much weight as I can over the winter and begin training in the spring. I think it will be much better if I have a goal.

I'll work on a route over the winter and post my intentions once the route is created.

Great idea!

Phatty - Where in Ohio do you live? If you anywhere near Cleveland/Akron maybe we can ride together sometime.

Steve
Old 09-26-06, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by momod
woot woot..

thanks bud, im all over it with lots of pictures of the beautiful Tucson Sunrise and riding areas!

one last question, im really green..

what is SAG support? group riding?

thanks

Huzzah, I come from the powerlifting/bodybuilding side of things and have learned a ton about nutrition and training for weight loss. Ill be 39 and im around 11% but was 26%bf 3 years ago. I have some nice goal charts and nutritional information in PDF form if your interested PM me. Us older guys need to stick together! Cheers.
SAG = Support and Gear vehicle + Crew! Means you can have an escort vehicle to carry whatever you need...spare wheels, tires, tubes, chiropractor, nurse, defibrilator, water, food, whatever! Look at RAAM video's for example, I crewed RAAM this year and you'll see SAG vans: Here's a link to my video (Well, multimedia slide show) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYDMblzC54

No, I'm not the rider...I'm in the support crew!

Old 09-26-06, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Huzzah
This will be a great milestone for me next year. I plan on training for the MS150 which is in August. I want to ride there and back, not just one way. To train for this 62 mile ride will be a good goal for me.

BTW - I am pretty new to biking again as I gave it up once I turned 16 and got a car! I'm now 37, almost 38, 6' 3" and weigh 260lbs. My goal is to lose as much weight as I can over the winter and begin training in the spring. I think it will be much better if I have a goal.

I'll work on a route over the winter and post my intentions once the route is created.

Great idea!

Phatty - Where in Ohio do you live? If you anywhere near Cleveland/Akron maybe we can ride together sometime.

Steve
I'd suggest an indoor trainer for when the weather is just too bad to ride outside! I ride year around, here in Indiana and ride even winter roads, personally!

Old 09-26-06, 01:22 PM
Super Clydesdale

Bikes: Giant OCR 3 Roadbike and Gary Fisher Marlin Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huzzah

Steve
Hey Huzzah ... I am in Southern, Ohio ... about an hour south of Columbus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.