Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bicycle Clothing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 02:31 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Clothing

Well, since there is now a subforum for us bigger fellows, maybe we can share some of the places we get our not-so-specific bicycle clothing from.
When I started riding I was tight in XXXLT clothing, sometimes I felt like the Michelin Man. Now I'm fitting into some XXL gear and it's great!
I never got into the Lycra tights and bibs and all that other jazz, guess I'm too modest. But I did find a place for some winter clothing and rain gear:

Great for winter tights, they cary XXLT
https://melanzana.com

Their prices are good and their sizes are great, I got 3XL raingear from them
https://www.bicycleclothing.com
Old 09-23-06, 04:17 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bigjersey.htm
Old 09-23-06, 06:34 PM
Weapons grade stupidity

Bikes: Univega Sportour & Cadillac RLE 1.8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never been too big on cycling specific clothing -- I don't think there's enough benefit to be had in exchange for lack of utility elsewhere (for my type of riding -- commuting and pleasure/errand rides). Having said that, I get my clothing in a number of places:

I've picked up soccer jerseys at Burlington coat factory for about 11$ each (bright colors, made for running around in hot weather, so they're perfect for summer commuting. I've picked up a bunch of Champion activewear at Target that's good for spring through fall depending on the pieces. For cool weather riding, I've got a long-sleeve soccer jersey from Burlington, and a long-sleeve bike jersey that I found on the clearance rack at a sporting goods store. And when the temperature dips lower, I've got a drawer full of turtleneck shirts from Wal-Mart. Pair them with a nice wicking Merona or Champion undershirt from Target and you're golden. Add a windbreaker (also from the sporting goods clearance rack) and possibly a fleece pullover for added warmth. And for the legs I use generic running/soccer shorts, and wind resistant track pants when the temperature drops (and there's enough room under there for sweatpants if'n I get chilly).

All told I own just a handful of cycle specific stuff: my shoes, helmet, and gloves, one jersey, and two pairs of Surly Nerdlinger socks (which I only got because I go by Nerdlinger on another site). Everything else is something more flexible, less expensive, and comes in larger size ranges.
Old 09-23-06, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've picked up quite a bit of wicking type fabric sporting clothes at Ross or T.J.Maxx. I am now down to where I actually have a basic pair of bicyling shorts (lycra) and a cheap jersey. For my every day riding wear, I use the stuff found on the clearance/closeout rack where ever I find it.
Old 09-24-06, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mt. Borah also offers clothing to fit the more broad-shouldered or zaftig among us.
Old 09-25-06, 07:56 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Aerotech is the BEST place for "big size" cycle clothing.

I've got a jersey and 2 pairs of shorts and a round of 6 pairs of socks from them. I've since bought a few jerseys from Performance or Nashbar (forget which...they seem the same to me)....their quality is absolute CRAP compared to aerotech.
Old 09-25-06, 07:58 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Aerotech's "about" page:

Originally Posted by Aerotech
We are an apparel manufacturing company. Our sewing factory is located in the business district of downtown Coraopolis, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The Aero Tech clothing is made in the building you see to the left. MADE IN U.S.A. is an important part of our apparel line as we have made a commitment to keep our production in America. We hire local staff and we purchase our materials from the highest quality vendors available to us. Some of our materials are from Italy, but most are made in U.S.A. We are dedicated to making high quality products.

We have been making high quality cyclewear for twenty-five years. We have designed and manufactured cyclewear for Descente, Bike Nashbar, Terry Precision, Head, Frank Shorter, Giant and many other cycling companies. We dressed Lance Armstrong when he was a rookie in Texas. Our company manufactured the Olympic uniforms for the American Cycling Team in 1982. We make our products to meet the needs of you, our valued customer.

MADE IN U.S.A.
Old 09-26-06, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's finding jerseys that are TALL enough that is my problem. Bellwether, Cannondale and Nashbar made tall sizes up until about 15 years ago. Now everything is XXL instead. That's what I have to wear to get enough vertical coverage, but then the jerseys are baggy which defeats the purpose of having a bike jersey at all. Does anyone still make jerseys in tall sizes?