Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Lemond Reno strong enough for me?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 07:17 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this is the road cycling forum but all of my concerns i think would fit better in this forum. sorry for the double post.

Hey guys I am going to be purchasing my first road bike and would like some help. I went to my local bike shop and spoke to the owner. He recomended the Lemond Reno for me and my budget. He looked at me and said that I have shorter legs and a longer torso so a Lemond bike would fit me better. Is this true? I am about 6' maybe 6'1". He said my frame size would be like 55 or 57 but he would have to measure me to be sure. He seemed very experienced and I know nothing but from what i have been reading other people are at 58 or 60cm frame sizes for the same height. Is the Lemond a bigger frame?

1. Wheels? - Now here are my main concerns. I am a big guy. I weigh about 270lbs. I was looking at getting a leftover if they have my size still and if not getting the newer one. Now from 2006 to 2007 they made some changes. As far as I can tell it looks like just the wheels have been changed. Are they now better or worse? For wheels I am looking for durability over performance right now. I asked him about wheels and he said just because some have less spokes doesnt mean they are weaker. Do these new wheels on the 2007 seem stronger even if they have less spokes?

2. Triple or double? - Also for the leftover bikes he said they only have triples and he really recomended a double for easier maintenance and better shifting. He said he could swap out the triple for a double if i wanted on the 06' also but what is better. I dont think i will be doing any large hills. (I ride on long island. Not sure of how hilly many of the ride spots are).

3. Tires - I should be fine on a 700x25 tire right? He said that you probably cant fit something bigger then a 25. Is that going to be okay for me?

4. Any other recomendations? - I am not concerned with the brand. I just want the cheapest bike that is in the tiagra and higher groupset. No sora shifters.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!!!

Old 09-21-06, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think any of the main manufacturer bike frames will be fine for your weight. As far as sizing goes, a 57 for your height wouldn't be unreasonable because of the compact geometry- you may just have to put the seat all the way back so that your reach is comfortable. I'm guessing that he doesn't have the 59 in stock for you to try out. I'm 6'3" 250- I got a roadbike that was a 58cm. When I tested it, it felt great and continued to feel great for a few weeks. But as I got a little more fit, I started to be able to lean forward a little bit more, causing my reach to be longer and it started to kill my lower back. I got a Fiziks seat and that allowed me to move the seat back about an inch, and that's all I needed.

As for the wheels- the wheels on the 2007 look like Rolf type wheels- I've read where people around our weight having sucess with them. I have a set with the same Rolf design, but I only put about a hundred miles on it because I just want something with a higher spoke count. I've found it easier to "limp" home with a broken spoke from a higher count wheel than with a low spoke count wheel.
Old 09-21-06, 11:16 AM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
2. Triple or double? - Also for the leftover bikes he said they only have triples and he really recommended a double for easier maintenance and better shifting. He said he could swap out the triple for a double if i wanted on the 06' also but what is better. I don't think i will be doing any large hills. (I ride on long island. Not sure of how hilly many of the ride spots are).
Of course your terrain and riding ability will be the deciding factor here - I know out west where I live, I couldn't live without a triple. And the "ease of maintenance" and "better shifting" arguments are bogus, IMO. I've thousands of miles on my Ultegra equipped Giant without any problems - no maintenance at all yet, and still shifts smoothly and crisply. I don't really understand what maintenance issues would be different between a double and a triple, anyway - did he elaborate?

All things being equal, I've NEVER been sorry that I picked a triple. It's not like us heavy guys are fantastic climbers, ya know?

Originally Posted by Turboem1
3. Tires - I should be fine on a 700x25 tire right? He said that you probably cant fit something bigger then a 25. Is that going to be okay for me?
700x25 should be ok, but you might like 28's better. Make sure to keep them fully inflated to avoid pinch flats. I'm 230lbs and use 23's. the spec is 116psi max - I run 120 in the rear and it works well for me.

S. J. Perelman
Old 09-21-06, 12:27 PM
Pro wheelbuilder UK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run Lemonds for the past few years as a winter bike. Lovely and stable, long top tubes and relaxed angles make it climb superbly and is really comfyfor long club runs. I'm 6'2" and ride a 59cm. Lemonds are measured from the centre of the bb to the centre of the top tube unlike my same sized Trek 62cm which is measured differently(centre bb to top of seat tube). The Reno will be fine for a big bloke but consider changing tyres to Fortezza tri-comps as they can take 145psi. I always run mine at high pressure to prevent pinch flats and they have been fine for the last 6 years. Once the wheels eventually wear out, consider a hand build pair of 36 Shimano 105's with Mavic CXP33 rims.
Old 09-21-06, 01:47 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
How much will everything be when you're through (if you don't mind sharing)?

Also, LI's got some good climbs if you look for them. Plus you'll find hills when you didn't see them from your car or walking (where the heck was this?! ). Where abouts on LI will you be riding?

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-21-06, 02:21 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure about cost right now as everything is varying by hundreds depending on what i do. The leftover is about $120 cheaper but it may not be in my size. I may exchange the wheels for something better. Same thing for the seat. I will let everyone know when i make a decision.

I am in nassau county on the south shore. Where are you?
Old 09-21-06, 06:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I made the purchase. It ended up being a 57cm .

They said they couldn't throw in any extras as far as tubes, computers, or anything but what I do get is free adjustments of anything for a full year and 10% off any accessories they have in there store forever. Overall I think I got a really great deal. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Turboem1; 05-06-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 09:05 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I used to ride a lot around Stony Brook / Port Jefferson area where I grew up. Haven't gotten a chance to ride out there as much since I've been in the city.

Looks like you got a good roadbike for under $700 (without tax) - I'd say good job!

Old 09-22-06, 04:53 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I bought an 05 Tourmalet ($1100). 6'1 and the 57 is PURRRRFECT! Wheels at my wieght (220-230) are junk. Got 4,000 out of the rear (8 months). SO far 7,000 out of the front and it's ready to go!

Tires are junk too! First century on the bike, the rear sidewall split on a rock. Sencond century, other wheels sidewall split on a rock. Ditch 'em quick! Were 25 Bontragers.

25 size were fine. but I run 23's at 230 lbs. I built Veloctiy Deep V for the rear,32 3 cross spokes. For the front I will use a Mavic cxp 33 rim, 32 spokes 3 cross.

Double or triple shifting I agree is bogus. I have a double and a triple and both are excellent in the shift dept. But ou gotta learn to adjust yourself so you can make on the road fine adjustments. Bike shop guys wil turn the barrel a couple of times then kick your azz out the door.

I have trained for climbing rides and don't have problems using a double 39/25 for a century with 10,000 climbing at 220. But the triple is a lil more comfy on the legs when I'm not training.
Old 09-22-06, 05:49 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you guys think the 55 is to small?

I was fitted and everything but I am getting nervous as most people are riding much larger bikes (although I heard a 55 lemond is like a 58 trek). I have some of the measurmenets taken off of me if that would help. The bike wont be in for like a week so I am so impatient as I have to wait to actually climb on the thing.

Am I getting worked up over nothing?
Old 09-22-06, 07:08 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
If you'd like you could try these fitting sites and double check the measurements:

https://wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

But again if your lbs guy is saying that the geometry of the bike will be sized differently you can only bounce around until it comes

Old 09-22-06, 07:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually just tried the wrenchscience one and it says I would need a "55cm Center-to-Top / 53cm Center-to-Center" and "Overall Reach is :: 68.35cm Center-to-Center".

It gave pretty similar results to my fitment but I would rather go by what he did to me in person than the number the website spits out.

He said that the top tube and stem should be 69cm. On Lemonds website it says Effective top tube (is this the measurment you use? they have effective top tube and just top tube) of the 55cm is 565mm. The guy at the bike shop said I would use a 120mm stem instead of the 110mm that comes on the bike making it 68.5cm. He said my main concern was getting a bike with a long enough top tube but still allowing me to stand over the bike. This bike + stem should give me the length I need and I am able to clear the bike no problem.

guess I am just paranoid
Old 09-22-06, 09:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at the two bikes, I'd go with the '06 v. the '07 in a heartbeat. I'm 280+, and the low spokecount of the '07(blue) Lemond would bother me, particularly on the rear wheel.
Old 09-22-06, 11:28 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I say the 55 is tooo small. I'm same height as you and the 57 is perfect.

55 is too small and this is why. The fork is a straight blade fork. On the 57 my toe will slightly touch the tire on a very slow turn or a track stand. Scared me at first as I didn't realize that this wold happen. Now that I know about it, it is no problem and haven't touched again. IS different from my Cannondale with rake in the fork (58 cm frame).

I will bet that if you go with the 55 your toe will overlap with the front tire on a slow turn or track stand!
Old 09-23-06, 05:14 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I say the 55 is tooo small. I'm same height as you and the 57 is perfect.

55 is too small and this is why. The fork is a straight blade fork. On the 57 my toe will slightly touch the tire on a very slow turn or a track stand. Scared me at first as I didn't realize that this wold happen. Now that I know about it, it is no problem and haven't touched again. IS different from my Cannondale with rake in the fork (58 cm frame).

I will bet that if you go with the 55 your toe will overlap with the front tire on a slow turn or track stand!
Thanks you for the reply. I have emailed him and let him know of my concerns and am waiting to hear back from him. I also did some numbers and it does seem like I will fit better on the 57 cm.
Old 09-23-06, 05:20 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He got back to me. He said he ordered a 57 cm also so I can ride both and see which one fits better. Thanks guys.
Old 09-23-06, 05:21 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Now that's service!

Old 09-27-06, 02:59 PM
Pro wheelbuilder UK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like yo've got yourself a rare animal, a really good bike shop. Cultivate the man. Good luck.
Old 10-11-06, 12:53 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just for an update.

I ended up getting the 57cm. I love the bike! here are some pics.

Old 10-12-06, 04:45 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was right about the 57?

I hate black and gray raider colors, but dam that looks good on a bike!
Old 10-12-06, 08:22 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
Congrats on a good purchase. I agree with Wrench on wheels - when you have ridden the current ones into the ground, have a nice set of 36 hole wheels built up. I'm about your weight, and it is probably unreasomable fear, but even 32 hole wheels make me nervous. Of course, I've shredded one or two 32 hole rear wheels, but that was when I still had visions of being able to climb serious hills in a 39t chainring making me have to get out of the saddle and really stomp on the pedals. I don't do that anymore, at least not very much, now that I have learned that triple chainrings are my friend. (I noticed you followed bigbossman's advice and went for the triple - smart move.)

Have a great time on the bike. I think you're going to really enjoy it
Old 10-13-06, 11:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
photos

Nice looking bike,the tall stem really makes sense and I am surprised to see it on a modern bike fit. Having the bars level with the saddle or even slightly higher is smart as you will avoid numb hands and a sore crotch. My only suggestion would be to set your saddle level and not tipped down. I would also seriously condsider purchasing a Brooks B-17 leather saddle and break it in on a bunch of shorter rides progressing to longer ones as it breaks in, your butt won't be sorry.
I prefer 36 spoke wheels and wider rims with 28 mm or wider tires. If you are stuck with 25mm tires get some Schwalbe marathons, heavy but hard to puncture. A set of fenders helps in the rain.
My father grew up in Orient point L.I. the "livin end" as they say! My cousins, Aunt and Uncle still reside there. Not many hills if I remember correctly but the triple is kind to your knees if you use it and spin like you should up hills.
Old 10-14-06, 11:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got a nice looking bike there and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm a Lemond fan myself, have a 59cm 2001 model Poprad cyclocross bike that I use for road and gravel road riding, also some light trail work. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam and I wouldn't want the bike any bigger than it is, the reach would be too long. As the other posters have said, keep an eye on those wheels. I have a set of custom handbuilt ones with CXP-33 rims on Ultegra hubs laced 36/3X. One of the nice things about a cyclocross bike is that you can run wider tires. I've got 35mm Avocet Cross Ks on mine with Planet Bike fenders. I'm running a B-17 Brooks saddle, if you can't get along with the stock one on your bike you might want to look at one of these. I also think it was a smart move on your part to get the triple crankset, your knees will thank you for it. My Lemond has been a very reliable bike and I've enjoyed it a lot, hope you ride MANY happy miles on yours!

Smokey
Old 10-14-06, 08:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
My only suggestion would be to set your saddle level and not tipped down. I prefer 36 spoke wheels and wider rims with 28 mm or wider tires. If you are stuck with 25mm tires get some Schwalbe marathons, heavy but hard to puncture.
Yes the seat is tilted a little down as you noticed. I found at level or slightly up it put to much pressure on ..... my ball region. With it set down a little it puts the pressure more towards the rear on my sit bones and makes it a hundred times more comfortable. Although with it tilted down I do slide forward sometimes. I am looking at new seats now. Probably one with a cutout would help a lot. The brooks seem to be very popular but also very expensive.

I also am ready to have some 36 spoke 3x wheels when these give out. I could probably fit some "small" 28's or "large" 25's but the 25's seem pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice and info guys! I appreciate it.
Old 10-15-06, 12:11 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wheels? Get a Velocity Deep V. I used them at 255 with no problems. Now at 220-230, I built this wheel, did 23 centuries and put 7000 miles on them last year with NO PROBLEMS! I also have one on the rear of my double roadie. 39/25 and have done centuries with 10,000 ft of climbing and no problems. Those paried cpoke technology rims look cool but don't last for us clydes. Got 5k out of the rear and 7 out fo the front, now junk.

I have a friend that swore by 36 cxp 33's. Had problems with wheel staying true. We did almost identical miles/rides and weight. He ended up ripping a chunk of the hub flange right out of his Ultegra hub. I really think 18 holes is too many holes in the flange and weakens it! I'd stay away from 36 spokes (18 holes each flange).

I've heard of people drilling holes into the cogs to lose wight. So many area gainst it saying it weakens the cogs. So why would anyone insist on more holes in a flange?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.