Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydesdale needs a bike. Carbon Fiber?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 6'3" 245lbs and looking for my first road bike. Should I bother looking at carbon frames or do I exceed the weight limit? If you're my size and have a carbon fiber frame, how does it handle compared with other materials? Any info is appreciated. -bds
Old 08-08-06, 10:43 PM
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'1" and weigh 220 lbs. I have full carbon, steel, titanium, aluminum and aluminum w/carbon stays road bikes and have no issues with any of them. If you have a concern, I would check with the manufacturer and see if they have a weight limit, my guess is most won't. However, a recent post said there is a 100KG weight limit on one of the Pedal Force carbon frames, so you will want to look into it to be sure. As far as handling goes, each of my bikes has its own personality and the wheels you use makes a pretty big difference too. Best to test ride and find a bike that handles well for you.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 08-08-06, 10:46 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It depends on the design of the make and model. CF can certainly be made into as strong or as weak a frame as any other materials. Many manufacturers do set a weight limit on their carbon frames and this is generally a matter of design. Check with the manufacturer. I know that Aegis frames can easily handle your weight and they also offer a special option for a reinforced "clydesdale weave" which adds another layer of weave to increase rigidity. You might also want to read through this old thread on the same topic.

As a side note, you will want to pay equal if not more attention to the quality and build of the wheels as that's where heavier riders usually see problems. I'd recommend staying away from most low spoke count wheels and go for beefier rims. Something like Sun Rhynolites with 32H w/two-cross lacing up front and 36H w/three-cross lacing in the back along with high-quality hubs should serve you well.
Old 08-09-06, 12:17 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
khoun, you linked to park tools.

Anyways, I remember a fellow clydesdale with the Motobecane carbon bike, which is mighty sweet.
Old 08-09-06, 02:45 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bds50
I'm 6'3" 245lbs and looking for my first road bike. Should I bother looking at carbon frames or do I exceed the weight limit? If you're my size and have a carbon fiber frame, how does it handle compared with other materials? Any info is appreciated. -bds
Not to be a smart ass, but a carbon frame will save you maybe a pound or 1 1/2 pounds max overs steel, that's frame less fork. Let's not here all the experts chime in with their measurements in grams either. The point being at 245 you aren't going to notice loosing that extra pound or two. You'll have bragging rights at the rest stops but it isn't going to get you there any faster.

For what a good carbon frame cost, you could get a custom frame in Reynolds 853. It will be heavier, not much, but custom fit to you. At 6'3" the selection of really nice factory frames is slim. Well, whatever you choose good luck.

Tim
Old 08-09-06, 02:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I bother looking at carbon frames
sure.

or do I exceed the weight limit?
nope. for only $7,095 you can get a custom frame (no fork) from serotta, which will have oversized, super strong tubes made to handle any way you want.

Old 08-09-06, 06:15 AM
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No idea what your budget is like but I'd bother getting better components before I looked at a carbon frame
Old 08-09-06, 06:34 AM
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your budget?
Old 08-09-06, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Have you been fitted for frame size? The point cs1 makes is true, you might have trouble finding stock sizes that fit you, regardless of frame material. I'm riding a 63cm Cannondale aluminum frame with carbon fork, and I have been thinking about a new bike. I'm wondering if a Synapse would be good for me, it's full carbon and comes in 63. You could look at Calfee, he'll build anything you want from carbon.
Old 08-09-06, 08:07 AM
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 5500 full carbon and with the lifetime frame warranty Trek offers I don't worry about being 230 pounds riding carbon. Carbon can give a more plush ride, but that is subjective and differs from frame to frame. Trek told me that unless I'm 300+ not to worry about any of their frames.
Old 08-09-06, 09:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm almost identical to you in weight and height- I test road a Specialized Roubaix and the Specialized Tarmac at several different LBS's. All the salespeople told me that they have riders heavier than me on CF bikes and it's not a problem... but they also told me that these people have the stock wheels as well and have had no problems. But then I read somewhere (I think it was the Specialized brochure) that 220 was the max. weight recommendation for these bikes. I decided to not risk it and bought an aluminum bike and to use the 220 weight limit as incentive to lose weight so I can get eventually get a CF bike. It's not so much about the weight of CF- heck I have 40 spoke velocity deep v's on my bike that weigh a ton! it's just such a great comfortable ride.
Old 08-09-06, 09:07 AM
stupid newbie

Bikes: 2005 Giant TCR C3, 2003 Raleigh M50 DX "the tank"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'4 and about 205 (down from 225 when I started a year ago). I'm riding a Giant TCR C3 with an XL frame and have had no problems. It sometimes looks a bit small with the seatpost jacked way up but my LBS says it's not problem and it rides and feels fine. It's much much smoother than the OCR3 I was riding up until about a month ago and a good five-six pounds lighter.

Maybe it's just a mental thing but I felt instant improvement from the first time I rode the bike. I've since set personal bests in just about every category.
Old 08-09-06, 09:17 AM
n00b!

Bikes: Klein Q Carbon and Rocky Mountain Flow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Louie
I'm almost identical to you in weight and height- I test road a Specialized Roubaix and the Specialized Tarmac at several different LBS's. All the salespeople told me that they have riders heavier than me on CF bikes and it's not a problem... but they also told me that these people have the stock wheels as well and have had no problems. But then I read somewhere (I think it was the Specialized brochure) that 220 was the max. weight recommendation for these bikes. I decided to not risk it and bought an aluminum bike and to use the 220 weight limit as incentive to lose weight so I can get eventually get a CF bike. It's not so much about the weight of CF- heck I have 40 spoke velocity deep v's on my bike that weigh a ton! it's just such a great comfortable ride.

Same experience here. I am 6'3" 245 and test rode a Specialized Roubaix as well. The frame flexed quite a bit under my weight. The LBS told me it wouldn't but I felt pretty unsecure riding it compared to my AL framd with CF stays.
Old 08-09-06, 09:20 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by damage24
It's much much smoother than the OCR3 I was riding up until about a month ago and a good five-six pounds lighter.
I'm sorry, did you say five to six POUNDS??? I didn't think the OCR3 was a full-suspension mountain bike...

You might be a little, um, generous with your weight estimate.
Old 08-09-06, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you do not want to buy a CF bike/frame.
That would be a huge mistake. I am 6`4" and 235 and CF is way too weak for me and my style. Nobody can produce strong and durable CF frame. Reason for that is technology limitations and the nature of carbon fiber itself. Aging process is much faster for fiber than for aluminum not to mention steel. Fiber absorb great portion of energy input (i am talking about huge heavy and strong riders not about my wife). CF offers a bad trade-off regarding weight.
If you want to feel forsage do not buy CF. Also, if you want a durable bike do not buy CF.
Old 08-09-06, 10:37 AM
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broz
No, you do not want to buy a CF bike/frame.
That would be a huge mistake. I am 6`4" and 235 and CF is way too weak for me and my style. Nobody can produce strong and durable CF frame. Reason for that is technology limitations and the nature of carbon fiber itself. Aging process is much faster for fiber than for aluminum not to mention steel. Fiber absorb great portion of energy input (i am talking about huge heavy and strong riders not about my wife). CF offers a bad trade-off regarding weight.
If you want to feel forsage do not buy CF. Also, if you want a durable bike do not buy CF.

Please don't feed the troll
Old 08-09-06, 11:42 AM
stupid newbie

Bikes: 2005 Giant TCR C3, 2003 Raleigh M50 DX "the tank"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weighed it on the bathroom scale (stood on the scale and picked up the bike, took the difference), which admittedly isn't the most precise method, and it weighed around 25 lbs +/- a pound or two. I weighed my TCR on a fish scale (probably not the best either) and it was right around 20.

My Raleigh tank of a mtb probably weighs as much as my new and old bike combined.
Old 08-09-06, 12:05 PM
SSC

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road Bike; Giant Trinity Alliance 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'10" 210 lbs riding Trek 5000 (Trek 5000 OCLV 120) with no problems.
Old 08-09-06, 12:07 PM
SSC

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road Bike; Giant Trinity Alliance 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duplicate post
Old 08-09-06, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Please don't feed the troll

As a mechanical engineer and MBA I can provide in-depth micoreconomics and macroeconomic analysis regarding carbon fiber commercial use and hype from profit-hungry manufecturers
Additionaly I can support my previous statement regarding CF aging, strenght and life span.
I tried to move elaboration more to the scientific point of view not just "mine is fine" "arguments".
All this with best possible intentions and friendly approach and only one goal->to give best advice to the bds50 since we have the similar "measures".
Old 08-09-06, 01:45 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jtree
sure.
nope. for only $7,095 you can get a custom frame (no fork) from serotta, which will have oversized, super strong tubes made to handle any way you want.
Or buy ANY other frame on the market for the same strength, and flush $5,095 dollars in the toilet for a simialr effect.

Old 08-09-06, 02:48 PM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my Scott CR1 Pro when I weighed 225 pounds. It has a carbon frame, seatpost, fork/steer tube, and cranks. I have no problems with this bike. I have pedaled myself down to 195 pounds and it is still going strong.
Old 08-09-06, 05:47 PM
Style-challenged

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with that weight, there's no reason not to look at carbon.

that being said, carbon's not the be-all and end-all of bike frames. Ride a lot of bikes and buy the one you like the best.

I weigh 253 (as of this morning) - I have a carbon Kestrel and an aluminum Cervelo - the Cervelo's my favorite by a long shot, but that has to do with the frame's geometry not the material.
Old 08-09-06, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12187 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,104 Posts
Hi,
this always goes the same (when it goes right). What is your budget? What sort of riding do you intend to do? Do you want to race,commute, tour, supported trips,
group rides, randonneur?

There are many, many excellent bikes out there. The two big criteria are
finding one that fits; and that is right for the types of riding you do.

Fit is the most important.

FWIW, here's my bike
https://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php
Old 08-09-06, 06:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at the Canyon F10 framset. (www.canyon.com) These CF bike frames are made in Germany and are very nice products. They were specifically made for larger or more powerfull riders who complained their CF bikes weren't stiff enough for them. Plus, they are right at the 1Kg mark for the frame... and cost next to nothing. They run 1200 euros.... and only 1000 euros if you have a racing lisence. That is for a frame/fork/headset/stem. Not a bad deal at all. Plus, those prices include the 17% VAT, so if you call to order they will deduct that from the price. So, for about $1000 USD you can get a really nice frameset including shipping. Several guys on www.weightwenies.com are using them, as well as www.fairwheelbikes.com forums. The U23 "Team Lightweight" team races these frames in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.