Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Man Up!!!...the real pt. 2

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 08:57 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anybody wit this on a fixie?

Old 06-07-06, 11:03 AM
The TechnoHippyBiker

Bikes: mtn ss, fixed road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF? Whatever...
Old 06-07-06, 11:07 AM
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you mean watching movies? yeah, i can do that.
Old 06-07-06, 11:16 AM
crown heights sucka

Bikes: pake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the point is: "these guys are skitching with a freewheel and brakes. do any of y'all skitch on your brakeless (or even not-brakeless) fixies. because that would be ill."

my contribution. i have not. i have a good friend in Boston who has. on a bus, no less.
Old 06-07-06, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen people on fixies skitch like that.

I've skitched off of trucks, but never the wheel of a car.
Old 06-07-06, 11:40 AM
Eat. Lift. Ride. Drink.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried on a UPS truck the other day but got pretty sketched having my pedals rotate so close to the truck. Plus the driver saw me and starter weaving from side to side to shake me. I think I'll stick to a freewheel for skitching for now.
Old 06-07-06, 12:17 PM

Bikes: level, 78' shimano team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i used to do it on my skateboard all the time, and even up hills in s.f. on my bmx. it doesn't make much scense to me on a fixed gear unless its up a hill or something. i have know problem getting up to the speed i want on a fixed without having to hold on to something.
Old 06-07-06, 12:44 PM
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll do it on trucks when they have those nice handles on the back, or on the roof racks of cars sometimes, but mostly I'm in places where the traffic is such that I go faster than cars.
Old 06-07-06, 12:58 PM
works for truffles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So this is cool? Looks like a serious lack of respect to me.
Old 06-07-06, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man down for not using your leg muscles.
Man up if you ride faster than cars.
Old 06-07-06, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
just take the fuggin bus
Old 06-07-06, 01:55 PM
mortar and f***ing pestle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People- these pictures were of cyclists getting ready to throw cars off the road. C'mon, I thought everybody knew that.

As for manning up, I've done this- it was a combine, too (totally threw me off balance, though, I was riding brakeless down a 70% incline at the time).
Old 06-07-06, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not worth it on a bike, but i still skitch nyc on my skates and will never stop
Old 06-07-06, 03:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pigmode
So this is cool? Looks like a serious lack of respect to me.

Originally Posted by redcurrycelt

People- these pictures were of cyclists getting ready to throw cars off the road. C'mon, I thought everybody knew that.

As for manning up, I've done this- it was a combine, too (totally threw me off balance, though, I was riding brakeless down a 70% incline at the time).

and as for manning up...you were using the combine to brake? how'd that work out?
Old 06-07-06, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I think you wouldn't be very happy if some roller-blader just grabbed on to your NOS japanese track bike and hitched a ride without asking. No, I think you'd puff up your chest and get all 'in his face'. Hypocrite.
Old 06-07-06, 03:51 PM

Bikes: level, 78' shimano team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rollerbladers are gay!
Old 06-07-06, 03:54 PM
works for truffles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teiaperigosa

Pretty much the reponse I expected.
Old 06-07-06, 04:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
I think you wouldn't be very happy if some roller-blader just grabbed on to your NOS japanese track bike and hitched a ride without asking. No, I think you'd puff up your chest and get all 'in his face'. Hypocrite.
really?...No

's not a question of whether one wants to assert their right to puff their chest out or not. If I didn't want a rollerblader on my wheel, it would probably be because I did not feel like expending the energy to pull them. If a driver doesn't want you on their ride, it's not gonna be because you are costing them gas money (as high as gas prices are these days), it gonna be because they either just don't want you to fuking touch their car, or because they're scared they're gonna hurt you (in which case they really know that an accident wouldn't be their fault, and should know that when they dodge you, they're prob just being more dangerous).

respect is an important question, but as a cyclist, you should know that while there are drivers that try to be very respectful of cyclists, the infrastructure ( that of roads, that of driving mindsets, AND our society) is not built to have respect for that which is not corporate and of the modern capitalist industrial machine. If we don't realize that, and that our lifestyles often are forced to revolve around that, then we are being naive.

on a personal level, anyone has a right to be mad about whatever someone does to their car, whatever the reason...whether it be the $00.02 a cyclist might cost them in gas going up a long steep hill, or simply that another crazy cyclist is pissing them the fuk off

some people say...so, the fuk what...I might as well catch a boost anyways, the big boxes are costing the earth as it is...

just like if you put your car on the street, someone is liable to sit on the muhfuker

no hypocrisy on this note
Old 06-07-06, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was skitching off a bus once while checking out this girl who was checking me out when the bus pulled into a stop and I flew off the bike. That's the only trouble I've ever had skitching, so it's pretty manageable when you're not distracted by random biddies.
Old 06-07-06, 04:33 PM
slot machine

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread really makes me want to listen to huey lewis and the news
Old 06-07-06, 04:40 PM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I skitched on the back of an ambulance at the last CM Atlanta (on my fixed gear).

It was awesome. They have handles on the back. I was yelling "Medical Support!" to everyone's chagrin.

The Hospital was only a block away on BLVD. No harm, no foul, the EMT's and CMers got a good laugh.
Old 06-07-06, 04:41 PM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think it made a man out of me, however.
Old 06-07-06, 05:01 PM
works for truffles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teiaperigosa
really?...No

's not a question of whether one wants to assert their right to puff their chest out or not. If I didn't want a rollerblader on my wheel, it would probably be because I did not feel like expending the energy to pull them. If a driver doesn't want you on their ride, it's not gonna be because you are costing them gas money (as high as gas prices are these days), it gonna be because they either just don't want you to fuking touch their car, or because they're scared they're gonna hurt you (in which case they really know that an accident wouldn't be their fault, and should know that when they dodge you, they're prob just being more dangerous).

respect is an important question, but as a cyclist, you should know that while there are drivers that try to be very respectful of cyclists, the infrastructure ( that of roads, that of driving mindsets, AND our society) is not built to have respect for that which is not corporate and of the modern capitalist industrial machine. If we don't realize that, and that our lifestyles often are forced to revolve around that, then we are being naive.

on a personal level, anyone has a right to be mad about whatever someone does to their car, whatever the reason...whether it be the $00.02 a cyclist might cost them in gas going up a long steep hill, or simply that another crazy cyclist is pissing them the fuk off

some people say...so, the fuk what...I might as well catch a boost anyways, the big boxes are costing the earth as it is...

just like if you put your car on the street, someone is liable to sit on the muhfuker

no hypocrisy on this note

Sophomoric, polsc 101ish at best.
Old 06-07-06, 05:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pigmode
Sophomoric, polsc 101ish at best.
...and still too hot for you to handle?
Old 06-07-06, 05:30 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serendipper
I don't think it made a man out of me, however.
oh you didn't feel your nuts drop when you released your grip? check...maybe you missed it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.