Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fit help?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fit help?

Old 05-30-06, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit help?

My first question is if this is most likely a fit issue or a fitness issue.....

When I ride I definately feel too much weight on my hands, this leads to wrist pain. Not ulnar nerve but wrist pain from the weight.

It does seem to be improving as the season progresses, but I am not sure if it is just my wrists getting stronger/used to it...

I do tend to be a pretty high cadence rider avg around 90 and I don't usually push big gears much (my knees thank me for it).

I have been re-fit at 2 bike shops in the past year to see if it was a simple adjustment but was always told all was correct.....I am 6'2", 200lbs, 34inch inseam, on a specialized allez sport 62(might be 61 I cant recall and it does not seem to say anywhere obvious)

If anyone has thoughts I would appriciate the help, I am about to go out and start test riding new bikes....out of frustration.

Thanks
Old 05-30-06, 04:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forgot to add

I forgot to ask the other part of the question, is this just a matter of needing to strenthen my back?
Old 05-30-06, 05:09 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bend your arms a little - maybe try a slightly smaller bike? My buddy is 6'4", 235 with a 35" inseam, and he's on a 61. Everyone is different, but you never know. Have you tried a shorter stem? It might allow you to get back a little farther on the seat... Back strength will come with time, but you could always do some exercises to strengthen it.
Old 05-30-06, 05:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am definately bending my arms, but I still have too much weight....seems my form is ok, from what I am told...

I had the stem switched out once to a shorter one a while back, I could probably go a little shorter...
Old 05-30-06, 05:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better core strength - both abs and back - will help. It would also be good to take a look at your hamstring flexibility - cyclists often have extra-tight hamstrings, which means that you can't really lean the way that you want to. You might also want to look at your saddle angle - if it's angled forward, you may be trying to keep yourself from sliding off. A micro-adjust seat stem makes this a whole lot easier to tweak.

Is there anybody in your area who does real fits? I've gone to a physical therapist who also does bike fits, and having somebody who understands both cycling physiology and bike fit can make a big difference.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 05-30-06, 05:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks,
I am sure I can improve my core strength, doubt flexibility is an issue, as I can easily place my palms flat on the floor with my knees straight.....I might have the opposite that I am bending too easily....