Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flip the stem, eh?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flip the stem, eh?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 04:45 AM
Beer-fueled

Bikes: Giant Rincon (199x), 2005 Trek 1000, 19?? "Apollo Sport 10" by Kuwahara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flip the stem, eh?

Well, I see it being parroted a lot, "Flip that stem!" Riding around today (thinking about my fit, which seems to be off), it occurred to me that I never saw anyone actually explain how to flip it. I'm interested in trying, as my bars seem a little too high and a little too close but my seat-to-pedal height is fine. A quick search confirmed no one seems to have actually explained how to. Anyone mind explaining the process? Is it possible to do with just a multi-tool or should I go for real hex keys? Leave it to a bike shop? Seems like it would be pretty easy (loosen two bolts, remove two others, flip stem, replace and re-tighten), but I don't want things falling apart on me.
Old 05-19-06, 05:05 AM
Let's Go!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1500

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That is exactly what you do.

EDIT

1. Remove bolts from the faceplate (will be 2 or 4 depending on stem) - careful the handlebars will come loose.
2. Remove the topcap from the stem.
3. Remove the bolts from the other end of the stem attached to the steer tube
4. Lift stem off, flip it over and replace all bolts.

Last edited by SilentShifter; 05-19-06 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 05:24 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 377 Posts
actually, there's one more step, you got take off the cap on top of the steerer tube also to pull the stem off. Then pull the stem up and flip it. When you go to reassemble, replace the cap on top of the steerer, and tighten that bolt down first. You are pretensioning the headset bearings. You want it snug so that there is no play in the headset, but not so tight the bearings bind. (to test you have no play, put thefront brake on and the roll the bike forward, if the fork doesn't move, its tight enough). Next you tighten the stem bolts and face plate.
Old 05-19-06, 06:23 AM

Bikes: I have a lease with an option to buy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the purpose of this? I am lost.
Old 05-19-06, 06:26 AM
Let's Go!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1500

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
actually, there's one more step, you got take off the cap on top of the steerer tube also to pull the stem off. Then pull the stem up and flip it. When you go to reassemble, replace the cap on top of the steerer, and tighten that bolt down first. You are pretensioning the headset bearings. You want it snug so that there is no play in the headset, but not so tight the bearings bind. (to test you have no play, put thefront brake on and the roll the bike forward, if the fork doesn't move, its tight enough). Next you tighten the stem bolts and face plate.

AHHHH!! I Knew I forgot something!
Old 05-19-06, 06:41 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Corcis
Well, I see it being parroted a lot, "Flip that stem!" Riding around today (thinking about my fit, which seems to be off), it occurred to me that I never saw anyone actually explain how to flip it. I'm interested in trying, as my bars seem a little too high and a little too close but my seat-to-pedal height is fine. A quick search confirmed no one seems to have actually explained how to. Anyone mind explaining the process? Is it possible to do with just a multi-tool or should I go for real hex keys? Leave it to a bike shop? Seems like it would be pretty easy (loosen two bolts, remove two others, flip stem, replace and re-tighten), but I don't want things falling apart on me.
The astonishing part is that people here seem more concerned with image than bike fit. If you need your stem in the 'uncool' position to get your bike fit right - and I do - who cares?

Too many of the weenies here, apparently.

Flip this you dickheads.
Old 05-19-06, 06:46 AM
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow- a little hostile this morning are we patentcad???

Did you have a bad ride into the office this morning??
Old 05-19-06, 06:53 AM
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SBSpartan
Flipping the stem has the effect of lowering your handlebars in relation to your saddle. It apparently looks cooler.
Old 05-19-06, 06:54 AM

Bikes: I have a lease with an option to buy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinF
Flipping the stem has the effect of lowering your handlebars in relation to your saddle. It apparently looks cooler.
Shocking that a biker would do something to look cool.
Old 05-19-06, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
The whole "flip it" comment is a bit of a forum joke realy so it shouldn't be taken too seriously. Useful if you realy wan't to lower the stem but this asumes that the stem is angled upwards to begin with. The other thing you can do is take some of the spacers out from under the stem and fit them above the stem to lower your handlebars further and you can play around with combinations of spacers and stem angle. You can't remove the spacers however unless you go the trouble of cutting down the steerer but they work perfectly fine on top of the stem.

Regards, Anthony
Old 05-19-06, 07:16 AM
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBSpartan
It puts you in a more aggressive aerodynamic position therefore lessening wind resistance. In other words, it makes you go faster.
Old 05-19-06, 07:25 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of a bike pre and post stem flip so I can see if I can tell the difference? I might just be dumb (very possible) but I don't see how this changes anything.
Old 05-19-06, 07:43 AM
Il cucchiaio

Bikes: Velosolex St. Pierre (RIP in peace), Giant OCR2 (sold), ADK Bottecchia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some 90 degree stems (I have one): flipping those would achieve absolutely nothing
Old 05-19-06, 07:46 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Lover
Wow- a little hostile this morning are we patentcad???

Did you have a bad ride into the office this morning??
My commute to work involves two short flights of stairs. I'm in a great mood today actually. Catch me on a bad day some time.
Old 05-19-06, 07:48 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are aware that the stem is desined to be used both "upside down" and "ride side up" which really means that there is not "right side up". So before you start insulting people for how they setup their bike, you may want to go get bent.

Ironicly this is directed towards the jagbags here bashing the "flipping" of a stem.

Go educate yourself before you start bashing people.
Old 05-19-06, 07:48 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
My commute to work involves two short flights of stairs. I'm in a great mood today actually. Catch me on a bad day some time.
Wow, you're cool.
Old 05-19-06, 07:49 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Dirt Hill
Anyone have any pictures of a bike pre and post stem flip so I can see if I can tell the difference? I might just be dumb (very possible) but I don't see how this changes anything.
It's possible (thought doubtful) that your stem has no angle to it...in which case you'd be right.
Old 05-19-06, 07:51 AM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Dirt Hill
Anyone have any pictures of a bike pre and post stem flip so I can see if I can tell the difference?
Pre-flippage:

Post-flippage:
Old 05-19-06, 08:39 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Most important thing for you to do is find out if you have a quill stem or threadless stem. Most modern bikes have a threadless, and they forget that some people (like me) have a quill stem that can't be flipped. 3 people have told me to flip my stem, now I just mention that I can't weld. Not to mention it is 0 degree so it would look the same flipped

I think it's funny how people today think of a "flipped" stem as upside down, when 10 years ago almost all road stems were prallel to the ground. If you ask me, bikes today come with flipped stems, which I believe was an answer to a demand for a more back friendly bike.
Old 05-19-06, 08:49 AM
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The argument has also been made in these forums that as you get into better shape, you're more likely to be comfortable with lower handlebars. If you haven't been riding long, you might want to wait a bit and change handlebar position gradually, put a spacer or two above the stem like AnthonyG mentioned.

The OP mentioned the bars seemed too close, and depending on the angle of the stem, flipping it will also probably put the bars slightly farther away from the seat. So it's got that goin' for it. Which is nice.

Cheers.
Old 05-19-06, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
As for looking cool, all of us must realize that to non-cyclists we all look like dorks. So, if you do anything to look cool, your efforts are mainly in vain.
Old 05-19-06, 09:00 AM
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
urbanknight...I think I told you to flip it once, as a joke, because the pic wasn't too clear that it was a 0 deg. quill stem. You with the Bianchi, in full Bianchi kit, non drive side pic, right? I may be wrong.

On the whole Flip It thing. It all depends on fit. I'm 5'10" and have a 53 cm frame, which is probably too small for me. I have my seat up pretty high, and when I flip my 110mm, 5 deg. stem to the 'cool' position, I have a nearly 4" seat to handlebar drop. When I'm in the drops, the nose of my saddle wracks my 'nads something awful. When I flip the stem to the 'uncool' position, I have a 2.5" seat to handlebar drop and my unit is much less discombobulated whenst in the drops. Much more comfortable.

If I didn't get such a smokin' deal on my frame, I'd go and get the right frame size for my body and get pro-fitted, and probably have a flipped 'cool' stem...bit I don't care what you schmo's think of how I look. I'll drop all y'all anyway.
Old 05-19-06, 09:35 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
urbanknight...I think I told you to flip it once, as a joke, because the pic wasn't too clear that it was a 0 deg. quill stem. You with the Bianchi, in full Bianchi kit, non drive side pic, right? I may be wrong.
Yep, that was me, only two MORE people told me to flip it after I posted a new thread with larger pics! You're off the hook 'cause you only saw the one small pic. As for the others

I forgot to mention: I think that 0 degree and raised stems become more popular on road bikes when compact frames become more popular as well. Too many people compensating for a bar 8" below their seat!
Old 05-19-06, 10:22 AM
Forever a Newbie

Bikes: 04 cervelo superprodigy, 95 colnago masterlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it funny how people tell others to flip their stems, raise the position of their brake/shift levers, all without taking into account how this drastically changes the fit of the bike. Is it about looking cool or about riding comfortably? I saw a recent picture of Sean Yates' bike setup and his bars and brake levers were positioned a lot lower than what is in style these days and he won many races with that setup.
Old 05-19-06, 10:25 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The astonishing part is that people here seem more concerned with image than bike fit. If you need your stem in the 'uncool' position to get your bike fit right - and I do - who cares?

Too many of the weenies here, apparently.

Flip this you dickheads.

I love a guy who has a sunshine personality like me!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.