Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Never Again!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Never Again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 07:08 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never Again!

I was up all of tonight, I couldn't sleep. I decided that I would ride a 40 miler when the sun came up 'cause I've been wanting to ride lately and haven't gotten the chance. Maybe this was the first mistake

By the time 6am rolled around, I was ready to ride. I knew I had no spare tube, but since I get flats only once a blue moon, I thought I would be fine.

Cell phone? Psh. Only losers pay for that stuff. I hate phones. Who needs it when I have super powers to communicate when there's a problem

Helmet? Nah. I'm gonna be riding in the country with no obstacles, and I'm tired of that thing choking me anyways. I am too lazy to adjust it, so I will go without it.

Ah yes, I am now blasting away 10 miles out into the countryside. I see for the first time that I am going 26mph on a flat! I feel like Eddy or Lance! Must be the new aerobars

Ah yes, smiley faces. What a happy guy I was.

Speaking of riding on flats, I was about to get one. What a delight! I just looove riding on a rim for ten+ miles at 6mph.

I decide to go the wrong way down the road in order to get home quicker. There's no way I'm going longer than I have to. There is a wide shoulder and plenty of room for vehicles to pass. (oh, another good idea. ) I am now on the access road of the highway. It is 2 lanes one way. A semi with a trailer attached sees me and attempts to switch lanes. He almost hits an SUV, it was scary to watch! The whole damned trailer could have easily wiped me out if he were to lose control. Not to mention killed the other driver.

Another few minutes later, I pass a cyclist... I am in his way obviously. I can only imagine what he's thinking seeing some guy on a bike with no helmet, on a flat tire, going the wrong way. I gave the best 'I am a moron' look and went on my way.

And now I am home... just thought I'd share. I feel the need to ride a Barbie bicycle for a few weeks until I get my act together. Please feel free to blast me out of the universe with degrading comments! Or other stories of stupidity.
Old 05-03-06, 07:12 AM

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barbie or Dora bike, you now have a choice.
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 05-03-06, 07:56 AM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know whether to believe you actually did this or just enjoy creative writing and placing yourself in the role of the incompetent.

Either way, good story and great message.

55/Rad
Old 05-03-06, 12:17 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I don't know whether to believe you actually did this or just enjoy creative writing and placing yourself in the role of the incompetent.
55/Rad
It's true. If someone sends me a barbie/dora jersey I will wear it and take pics for amusement.

The ride was very fun though (for the first part). Some guy here called me a barney or something for putting a pair of nice aerobars on the roadbike. Today was my first good ride with them. I love it. If Being a 'Barney' means what I think it means, then I guess I have proven him wrong today. Maybe I could wear a Barney jersey instead.
Old 05-03-06, 02:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why was the other cyclist in the semi, trying to hit the SUV, going the wrong way?
Old 05-03-06, 05:56 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Why was the other cyclist in the semi, trying to hit the SUV, going the wrong way?

I don't know what you're trying to say, so I had some fun and made a map to clarify.

1. Shows the truck and SUV coming my direction.

2. Shows the other cyclist later down the road.

edit: pluto is 30-50AU, not 200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
map.JPG (26.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-03-06, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the pic it appears there's just enough room for the truck and SUV to squeeze by each other. Why would you lie about this? Something is very fishy about your story.

And who's Pluto?
Old 05-03-06, 06:25 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the pic it appears there's just enough room for the truck and SUV to squeeze by each other. Why would you lie about this? Something is very fishy about your story.

And who's Pluto?
I know... I am a very confusing guy. I just can't wait to ride again.
Old 05-03-06, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just messing with you

Remember 2 spare tubes, and helmet, and phone, and tire levers, and ...
Old 05-03-06, 07:23 PM
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by formula4
I don't know what you're trying to say, so I had some fun and made a map to clarify.

1. Shows the truck and SUV coming my direction.

2. Shows the other cyclist later down the road.

edit: pluto is 30-50AU, not 200.
HILARITY!

I was thinking that 200 AU seemd a bit much I can feel you on the sleep deprivation thing. It never occured to me to ride after a missed night of sleep, and now thankfully it probably never will.
Old 05-03-06, 09:02 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just messing with you

Remember 2 spare tubes, and helmet, and phone, and tire levers, and ...
not a clue. this was 14 hours ago and im still awake. its cyclesidus or something like that. a horrible disease where you cant sleep till you're done with a successful ride.

i am le tired.