Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydesdale road bike reccomendation...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read through most of the clydesdale thread, but I'm still looking for some specific road bike reccomendations. I currently have Specialized Rockhopper but it's really setup for trails and road riding is very little fun with it. I'm maining looking for a fairly inexpensive bike for me to use to get in shape for the days I can't make it to the trails. I just have no idea whats good and whats not. This is strictly for recreation and exercise, no racing. I'd like to spend $1200 or less if that is possible. Thanks for your help. Here's my current ride.

Old 02-13-06, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12185 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,104 Posts
Hi,
try a few and see what you like. Start with the Specialized Sequoia. There will be a bunch you can try. Keep an eye out for leftover 05 bikes that were originally $1500-1600. Just might score a killer.
Old 02-13-06, 01:59 PM
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't say how heavy you are, which can make a difference of course. I consider myself a clydesdale at 6'1", 225lbs.......you may be lighter or heavier.

In my opionion if you are under 300lbs you should be okay on most anything that isn't a superlight race bike (which wouldn't be a concern in the range you are looking into anyways).

You should also be sure to consider the type of flexability you have when looking at a bike, as some bikes are built with a more race inspired geometry and some are more comfort designed.

Since you like your specialized I would start there and take a look at the Roubaix, Allez, and Sequoia lines. The sequoia is a flat bar road bike, which you may or may not like. The allez is more race geometry but still plenty comfortable and the Roubaix is the cream of the crop IMO...still fast and sporty, but with enough of an upright geometry to be comfortable for most anyone.

Other good brands to look into in your price range would be Trek and Giant.
Old 02-13-06, 02:12 PM

The Sequoia has drop bars.
https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11277462/
The Roubaix is a great bike, but the base model pushes his upper limits and has wheels I wouldn't want under me.
Old 02-13-06, 02:22 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
i am 6', 235 lb., been as high as 255 and ride a 2005 Trek 1200 with absolutely no problems. Rode a 1988 Trek 1000 since new until 2005, again with no problems and was never under 200 lb. the whole time I rode that bike. Unless you are 250 plus, you should have no problems on any name brand (Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Bianchi, et. al.)entry to mid level road bike. Ride as many as you can and buy the one that fits/feels the best. Good Luck.
Old 02-13-06, 02:48 PM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like others have said, there should be no problem with any standard road frame, be it aluminum, steel or carbon.

The main thing you might have problems with is the wheelset. For 200lbs+, properly built wheels with a higher spoke count (e.g. 32) are virtually a requirement. It may be worth your while to talk to the bike shop before you purchase a bike, as they may be willing to do a trade/swap on the standard wheels for something a bit beefier if they're required. Worst case, $250 buys you a good hand-built set of wheels.
Old 02-13-06, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe people will chime in with their height/weight, frame and satisfaction levels. I'm 5'8", 240 and I'm on a custom BREW Reynolds 731OS steel bike...no problems obviously. I'm leaning toward a Merlin Extralight or something all titanium.
Old 02-13-06, 03:07 PM

What Stubaca said. I always upgrade the wheels when I get a bike.
My wife's Strada ( a $700 bike) has top of the line Open Pro ceramic rims with Ultegra. I got a great deal on them, but you should see what that shop
wants for wheels like that now. Ouch! Definitely upgrade at time of sale. I use CXP33 rims, which are great, but there are a couple Velocity rims that are almost as tough and cheaper. We can make a mess out of most rims.
Old 02-13-06, 03:18 PM
"Biking to fitness"

Bikes: Trek 7100 & 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I can chime in on the over 300 pound group. I ride a Trek 1000c and a Trek 7100 for pleasure and commuter rides. I haven't had any problems. I started last summer riding harder with the 1000c and have lost 40 lbs. I still have a long way to go but, I feel that my LBS has put me on good safe bikes.

ILA
Old 02-13-06, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to tell us how tall you are, and your weight. A guy that is 5'8" and 205 lbs is technically a "clydesdale". If that is the case, then the bike choices are limitless. If you are 6'4" and 275lbs(me), the choices in your price range are more scarce.

I will give a vote for the Surly Long Haul Trucker. The frames can be built up for less than $1200 with quality components. The LHT comes with rack, fender mounts, and has clearance for big tires.

What ever choice you make, get a good set of wheels. I would make 36 spokes a minimum.
Old 02-13-06, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW, thanks for the all the responses. Can't believe I didn't list my height and weight. I'm 6'3" 265lbs. Hopefully this helps on some more reccomendations. Thanks again to all the responses so far.
Old 02-13-06, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Hi. I'm 6'2" and 210 and I ride a Cannondale CAAD 5 frame with 36 spoke Mavic Open Pro wheels. At your height you may need a 62 or bigger frame. I use a 63 but have used 64 in other brands. This does limit your choices somewhat. I'll agree with what has been said about wheels, if you ride a lot you will need strong ones. If you get a frame that fits and the right wheels you can upgrade the other stuff later.
Old 02-13-06, 09:24 PM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmember
WOW, thanks for the all the responses. Can't believe I didn't list my height and weight. I'm 6'3" 265lbs. Hopefully this helps on some more reccomendations. Thanks again to all the responses so far.
At 6'3, you should be able to fit on a large stock-size frame (most likely a 60+ cm frame... a fitting and some test rides will help nail this down).

I don't really see the need for specific bike model recommendations - pretty much anything will work, so just get out there and test ride them!

I think it's also fairly safe to say that the stock wheelsets on virtually any bike on the market won't be up to the task. At 265lbs, definitely consider a wheel upgrade at the time of purchase. At least 32 spokes, and you may even want to consider 36 spokes. Mavic CXP-33 or Open Pro rims, or Velocity (e.g. Aeroheads) - plenty of other choices out there, too. Talk to the wheelbuilders at some of your local shops and see what they recommend - even better if they can show some experience with building clyde wheels.
Old 02-13-06, 10:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds good. I have a friend that is a manager at a bike shope. It's how I got my good deal on the Specialized. Problem is, he's and hour away and I usually like to go there with a few bikes in mind. Looks like a wheel upgrade is a must. Makes sense, since the wheels are so narrow.
Old 02-13-06, 10:30 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Get whatever bike is the most comfortable, because then you'll ride it a lot more and someday, you might not be a clydesdale anymore.
Old 02-13-06, 11:02 PM
Roadie

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Vuelta, 2003 Trek 4300, 1999 Trek 2100. 1987 Centurion Lemans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While most will tell you 32 or 36 spoke wheels are a must. I can tell you high quality wheelsets can take the brunt of a clydesdales pounding. I weigh 260. The Rolf Vector Wheelset I have on my Trek 2100 is a 20/18 spoke. I do endurance cycling and have popped two spokes in the last 3 years. Both on RAGBRAI hitting chuck holes I couldn't dodge because of riders around me. As the rest have said any quality built frame from the major companies will due. Look for DT Swiss hubs and spokes. Mavic or FSA rims. Rolf components if you have cash. Get a good quality seat, such as a Sella Italia. Quality peddles like Time or Look make a big difference too. Stay away from SPD peddles. They just dont last in my opinion.
Old 02-13-06, 11:37 PM
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A new Cannondale R700 is around 1200 and if you could switch the wheels out for some mavic open pros you would be set and could save you some change. I'm only around 200lbs and honestly the ride on my R5000 (same CAAD8 frame as the R700) feels better than my Surly Long Haul Trucker. This may be just because of the quickness factor though. Aluminum is a nice choise for bigger guys for the fact that it isn't as rough for us because of the weight but still has good stiffness for the money.
Old 09-17-06, 07:20 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I'm 6-3 225. I ride mostly the old stuff -- an 80 or so Fuji Supreme 12-speed is my main bike. I have had no problems with it but I do worry about the wheels. I'm building up another Fuji with 36 spoke wheels on touring rims and a '77 Schwinn Varsity. If you want a cheap, unbreakable frame & fork, get an electro-forged Schwinn.
Old 09-20-06, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILAggie
I guess I can chime in on the over 300 pound group. I ride a Trek 1000c ...
Stock wheels and tires? Interesting...
I am thinking about upgrading from my Trek 7500 which is holding fine under my 285 pounds ( down from 305 ) Looks like I found another candidate.
Old 09-21-06, 06:37 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any aluminum Cannondale frame will work, as Cannondale's frames don't have a weight limit. The wheelset is the deal maker, as 32 and 36 spoke wheels are now a custom job, unlike years past when those were standred equipment.
Old 09-21-06, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's not really the bike, but the wheels and tires that matter. All you need to do is avoid super duper light racing wheels and super cheap wheels that have less than 36 spokes. You want to be able to run at least 28mm tires.

When you get a new bike, ride it a bit, then take the rear wheel back in and pay $20 to have it trued and tensioned. This will prevent spoke breadage in the future.
Old 09-21-06, 08:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'0" and 350 lbs. I am currently riding a Bianchi Vigorelli with 36 spoke 4x laced Mavic Open Pro wheels. My LBS did the swap of stock wheels to the Open Pro's at no charge.

Last edited by telchar; 09-21-06 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 09:55 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Dang Goldmember, I like that Rockhopper! I like that silver paint better than my bannana yellow.
Old 09-22-06, 10:23 PM
SPOLHUBBY

Bikes: trek 820, and park pre xl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im glad i came back on this site...no offense to anyone but i felt like i didnt belong before. I was 290lbs at 6 1 in april and loosing weight. I was in a very serious car accident in april and put back on 40lbs because i was bed ridden until aug. I just started walking and riding again. I have a trek 820mtb but my need for speed is pulling me towards a road bike. I just looked at a cannondale synapse alloy and a specialized allez. I fell in love with both. Now i have to find the right fit. Im a odd 6 foot 1. Im more torso then leg. My mtb is a 18 inch and is very comfortable. I really enjoy there is a spot for me on here. Whats a good wheel set to throw on the cannondale or specialized if i get either. The bike is all ready stretching my budget so i need good rims just not the most exspensive. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 09-23-06, 01:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road bike

I purchased a 84 vintage Raleigh steel lugged touring frame off E-bay and purchased Mavic T-520 36 spoke wheels with 32mm urban max tires by panasonic. I weigh 260 lbs. and have at least 1000 miles on this setup. I would look for a simular deal or perhaps a Surly Long haul trucker or the crosscheck frame and get some good wheels and proper gearing (24x36x46 and 11-32/34 rear) with this setup you should be able to climb most any hill and if you are a heavy but in shape large rider you may be able to go with higher ratios. If not, then this gearing with save your knees. Steel is simply the best material for frames especially for heavy riders as it doesn't fatigue and crack like aluminum can and eventually will.
A good steel MTB frame from the 90's can be had cheap even the whole bike but then its not really a road bike. Trek makes a nice steel touring bike (Trek520 @$1200) but you'll have to get a stem extension since the bars will end up being too low (they need to get a clue) and not cut the steering tube so low. Maybe your bike shop can request a uncut steertube and set up the bar height for you. Finding a good safe road bike for riders over 250 pounds and in many cases only 200 pounds is kid of tough. Rivendell makes a really nice lugged steel Atlantis ($2700)for riders up to 275 but after that, its strictly a custom deal for us really really big dudes. Large tubed steel MTB frames really work great because heavy duty wheelsets are cheap at Nashbar and simular places. Oh yea I saw that Fuji makes a steel touring frame complete bike for about $800 and it has 36 spoke wheels and looks to be rugged enough, plus its available from Performance bike at least in my area (Wa. state) You may want to check it out since the price is reasonable. If I were starting over, I'd buy the Fuji, especially if I wanted it to last and was on a budget.