Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pollution: Any solutions for cyclists to minimize impact? Any studies?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say I'm a little worried about the impact the car pollution has had over the years on my body (in particular the diesel exhaust) since I (and all of us) are riding on roads frequented by cars.

Is there anything we can do as cyclists to minimize the impact? To protect against breathing this stuff in? I mean wearing a gas mask seems extreme first of all (and would scare the hell out of everyone ) and would likely cause suffocation. Is there nothing we can do?

And does anyone know of any studies into this? Are the incidences of cancer or types of cancer higher in road cyclists than mountain bikers?
Old 01-12-06, 12:58 AM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck Fixed Gear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a mask with an air filter in it that's designed for outside activity in cities like LA. It looks more like a surgeon's mask mixed with the aesthetics of a BMX helmet. But in the end, I never wear it.

1.) It's creepy for me and everyone around me.
2.) It doesn't seal well and therefore isn't even working.

I wonder also, though, about what exposure is like. I've heard it said that pollution levels in cars on the road is a certain number of times higher than the surrounding air. The lesson from that statistic is roll your windows down. But it doesn't stink from exhaust in cars so I don't know if that's a skewed statistic.
Old 01-12-06, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The original research paper was from the World Health Organisation, IIRC.

Brit. Med. Assoc paper, Cycling & Health, showed that regular cyclists (as little as 4 miles/day increased their chances of living longer by 20:1 over slight increase in risk of early death from road accident.

Also, diesel particles to small to be stopped by cycle masks.
Old 01-12-06, 05:30 PM
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good post. I got acute bronchitis when I first started commuting. The day I felt the tickle in my throat I remember having to breathe really heavy fumes.

Want to know the real solution to most of our problems - Biodiesel. The fumes are actually BENEFICIAL to the environment. Diesel engines run smoother and quieter on biodiesel as it has more lubricity. ....AND...American farmers would have to be put back to work in droves to grow the necessary resources to make this stuff. Do you really think we'd give a rat5 a55 about the middle east if our main source of fuel was grown in our own backyard...but I digress.
Old 01-12-06, 05:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 50 pounds horrible bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only solution:

Stop everyone u know using their car and if they're too lazy to get their fat !@& up and ride to do some exercise, make them take the bus or subway or whathever that wont poison us.

Save yourself, save the environment. Save the World.
Old 01-12-06, 10:24 PM
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vitamin c (counteracts air pollution)
Old 01-12-06, 10:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Good post. I got acute bronchitis when I first started commuting. The day I felt the tickle in my throat I remember having to breathe really heavy fumes.

Want to know the real solution to most of our problems - Biodiesel. The fumes are actually BENEFICIAL to the environment. Diesel engines run smoother and quieter on biodiesel as it has more lubricity. ....AND...American farmers would have to be put back to work in droves to grow the necessary resources to make this stuff. Do you really think we'd give a rat5 a55 about the middle east if our main source of fuel was grown in our own backyard...but I digress.
I know, but in the meantime, that ain't gonna happen. So what do WE do to protect ourselves? Why haven't any companies tried to make gas masks that help you breath (to counteract suffocation) and look less cary (more like the helmets or BMX stuff)? Is it possible? Would any of us wear them? I mean we don't care that people think our bike shorts look dorky.
Old 01-12-06, 10:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
The original research paper was from the World Health Organisation, IIRC.

Brit. Med. Assoc paper, Cycling & Health, showed that regular cyclists (as little as 4 miles/day increased their chances of living longer by 20:1 over slight increase in risk of early death from road accident.

Also, diesel particles to small to be stopped by cycle masks.
While I understand that the benefits of the cardiovascular health outweighs the detriments of pollution impact RELATIVE to the lifespan/style of a couch potato, it's still a loss of health for us. I don't care that I'll live longer than a couch potato, if I get some lung disease (even if mild like the one mentioned by Doggus) or cancer, I'm NOT happy.
Old 01-12-06, 10:45 PM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the increased blood pressure as of a result of worrying about it is worse for your health than the pollution itself.

That's my theory, at least, because I don't want to worry about it.
Old 01-13-06, 02:59 AM
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As noted above, pollution levels are actually higher inside cars than out where you're cycling. Much higher -- https://www.things.org/~jym/greenpeac...side-cars.html

I know that doesn't seem true, but in fact it is. So if you're going to get a Darth Vader breathing mask, wear it when you drive, because that's when you're sucking in the nasties. Better yet would be to stop driving altogether....
Old 01-13-06, 03:58 AM
taking the piss

Bikes: avanti vivace, repco piece of $#IT and a raleigh mtn bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who cares we gotta die of something and cycling helps cure most things!
Old 01-13-06, 05:19 AM
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vitamin c (counteracts air pollution)
AND ALSO PREVENTS US FROM DYING OF SCURVY

Two great reasons to eat vitamin C!
Old 01-13-06, 08:42 AM
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
I know, but in the meantime, that ain't gonna happen.

As a side note, it is already happening. Biodiesel is currently in production, it's just that fuel prices are still not high enough to cause largess fuel companies to take any notice. The only thing holding back biodiesel is the enourmous cost of building refineries for it. Once that step is overcome...watch out for those soybean/corn/etc trucks hauling raw fuel to the refineries for processing. oh...and so sorry to the middle east..back to the stone ages for J0000!!!
Old 01-13-06, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxxer
The only solution:

Stop everyone u know using their car and if they're too lazy to get their fat !@& up and ride to do some exercise, make them take the bus or subway or whathever that wont poison us.

Save yourself, save the environment. Save the World.
I think it's great that people including the above poster are addressing the problems with our environment but remarks like this just makes people roll there eyes. You are either very young or live in a urban area and are not aware of how the majority of people in North America live, work and rase their families.

Last edited by jimbud; 01-13-06 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-13-06, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a side note, it is already happening. Biodiesel is currently in production, it's just that fuel prices are still not high enough to cause largess fuel companies to take any notice. The only thing holding back biodiesel is the enourmous cost of building refineries for it. Once that step is overcome...watch out for those soybean/corn/etc trucks hauling raw fuel to the refineries for processing. oh...and so sorry to the middle east..back to the stone ages for J0000!!!

I beleive Minnesota will be requiring gas stations that sell diesel fuels in 2006 to sell only Bio-Diesel fuels. No more straight diesel.
Old 01-13-06, 09:57 AM
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My concern with bio-desiel is the energy required for the Ag end of this. Aren't most monocropped fields heavily fertilized, and mechanized? Can a gallon of biodiesel be made for less energy than what it puts out?

Monocropping the US so we can drive more? Scary.

Am I wrong? Enlighten me.
Old 01-13-06, 11:49 AM