Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I can't find the motivation to get up before dawn to commute in the winter :-(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 01:41 AM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would need to get up pre-dawn to ride my bike 1:15 to the office where it would still be dark when I get there. Every day when I'm sitting at my desk staring out the window around noon, I keep saying that I'm going to ride my bike to work tomorrow. But when my alarm goes off @ 4 AM, it's freezing cold (40's) and dark outside and I just cannot motivate myself to get out of bed, much less ride to work. Summer-time is a totally different story when it's nice and warm even during the nights and the days are long.

So how do you guys motivate yourselves to get out of bed? I really could use the exercise, but it's just so damn cold and dark! This gives me even more respect for our Navy SEALS who train in the ocean in this weather. The cold weather really is a demoralizer.
Old 12-29-05, 02:22 AM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dude, you live in LA. I used to hitch hike to SoCal to get out of the cold. Put on some mittens and a windbreaker, and ride. I'm not from Manitoba, either, I'm from Tennessee.
Old 12-29-05, 02:57 AM
imminent danger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've long since banished the psychological distinction between light and dark, something that I find very easy to do in the city. Now it's just a matter of the cold and some decent clothing takes care of that.

I also can't stand the feeling of watching cyclists whip by the bus while I sit, stuck in a traffic jam with no real control over my movement.

Best advice that I can give you is to develop a reward mechanism and stick rigidly with it. Think of something that you would really like, of a modest price, and buy it for yourself if you manage to commute for a week.
Old 12-29-05, 03:06 AM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
There's girls out commuting already when you are just waking up, doesn't that make you feel like a wimp? C'mon man, stop being a momma's boy and grow a pair.
Old 12-29-05, 07:21 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mac
I would need to get up pre-dawn to ride my bike 1:15 to the office where it would still be dark when I get there. Every day when I'm sitting at my desk staring out the window around noon, I keep saying that I'm going to ride my bike to work tomorrow. But when my alarm goes off @ 4 AM, it's freezing cold (40's) and dark outside and I just cannot motivate myself to get out of bed, much less ride to work. Summer-time is a totally different story when it's nice and warm even during the nights and the days are long.

So how do you guys motivate yourselves to get out of bed? I really could use the exercise, but it's just so damn cold and dark! This gives me even more respect for our Navy SEALS who train in the ocean in this weather. The cold weather really is a demoralizer.
Cold? Forgive me if I have little sympathy. Perhaps it would motivate you if I told you to change your custom user title to something more appropriate, based on your post, like "Live lazy, die wimpy" ?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-29-05, 07:28 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't like getting out of the warm bed either. I have to remember that I have **NEVER** wished I drove when I rode, and always wish I had ridden when I drive.

It's tough to remember that when the bed is warm and the wind is howling. But dude, some of use do it when it's -10*F out, you can manage it at 40.

Not to sound cliche, but "just do it" don't think about it. I passed the hump when I decided to think in terms of the bike as the NORMAL way I get to work, and the car as a crutch I use when I am very sick or have to run long errands or carry heavy stuff.
Old 12-29-05, 08:01 AM
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man up!
Old 12-29-05, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love it when it's 15F out. It has been 40F in the AM lately and it is too warm for me.
As for the dark, my eyes are overly sensitive to light and I have wonderful night vision. Thus, night is a great time to ride. Except for oncoming traffic.

I motivate myself easily since I love riding. Plus, we have one family car. I would rather leave it with my wife and son so she can run errunds.
Old 12-29-05, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Driving is much more of a hassle for me than riding. It is only a five mile trip each way, so driving is not as practical as it would be on a longer commute. Besides, I have to fix breakfast for my daughter and walk her to the school bus stop.

Paul
Old 12-29-05, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
It's only 1 minute of pain. Just getting out of bed, out the door is hard...the rest is easy. I know that once this threshold is crossed It'll be good. But it's still hard to do. Kinda like being born, you're all warm in the womb then some friggin Dr. is smacking you on the a$$. Rude awakening. Charlie
PS: We had rain and 40's this AM in Baltimore, I thought it was balmy. it's all what you get use to. I'm from LA and remember shivering as a child when the temps dropped below 50.
Old 12-29-05, 10:15 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
It's only 1 minute of pain. Just getting out of bed, out the door is hard...the rest is easy.
That's the strategy I used in college. I made an effort not to think of what I was going to do all day, I just said "All you need to do is to go get in the shower." If I thought of it as the end of being nice and warm in bed, I wouldn't want to get up. By limiting my vision I managed to take one step after another and get going.
Old 12-29-05, 10:16 AM
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
There's girls out commuting already when you are just waking up, doesn't that make you feel like a wimp? C'mon man, stop being a momma's boy and grow a pair.

+1. My wife commutes all through winter up here. Her record so far is -25c (-13f). On top of that, up here at 52 degrees north, the sun doesn't rise till after 8am and sets before 5pm. Oh yeah, and to top it all off, the first 15 minutes of her 45 minute commute are all downhill, which makes it REALLY cold.
Old 12-29-05, 10:23 AM
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
first, get everything ready the night before. tires should be pumped, water bottle filled, etc. lay out all your clothes so when you get up to take that morning pee, you'll see everything layed out all ready. get dressed immeditately (before eating breakfast). it's a bit harder to wimp out if you're already dressed. next, don't waste time - just be all business, grab the bike, and head out. for me it's like jumping into cold water - best to do it quickly and get the shock over with. good luck.
Old 12-29-05, 10:43 AM
Now with tartar control..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I began commuting last year, it was 20 degrees outside. It wasn't so bad then.
Old 12-29-05, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all are STUDS. I can barely get out of bed to drive a car to work sometimes.
Old 12-29-05, 10:53 AM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel you regarding the dark. I'm luckying tho in the fact that I have "semi flex hours."
But buck up, the days are getting longer now!

Edit: oh yeah, and buy some thin wool layers, you'll be fine!
Old 12-29-05, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Trek 1220, Bike Friday NWT, Vision Recumbent, Schwinn Sierra commuting bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right on, the biggest obstacle is getting dressed, once you are dressed it is too hard to wimp out. +30degF, 15mph headwind.
Old 12-29-05, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
Dude, you live in LA. I used to hitch hike to SoCal to get out of the cold. Put on some mittens and a windbreaker, and ride. I'm not from Manitoba, either, I'm from Tennessee.
I am from Manitoba, and believe me, you guys don't know what cold is. Right now it is -2, but last year at this time we had -30 and 50CM of snow. I expect it to cool off by Saturday. It should be around - 10 - 15.
Old 12-29-05, 10:54 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I motivate myself by buying a new magazine every week I ride to work. I am in chicago so it's a bit colder here than there.

If my 4'2" self can do it so can you.
Old 12-29-05, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try going to bed wearing all your clothes, that way it is easier to get up in the morning. Personally when I bike in the winter I like to wear my hunting camo gear, so the night before I go biking I wear it all, even the orange vest. I get some weird looks, some people point and laugh, but joke is on them, I'm the one getting healthier!
Old 12-29-05, 11:04 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Cyclist
I am from Manitoba, and believe me, you guys don't know what cold is. Right now it is -2, but last year at this time we had -30 and 50CM of snow. I expect it to cool off by Saturday. It should be around - 10 - 15.

Temps are relative to whatever you are used to. Heck, when I was a kid in Washington State we had a very cold arctic blast. I had the pleasure of riding in -35F daytime temps for a couple of days.

Hmmm...my conversion site says that = -37.2C. I'm thinking that is incorrect. odd
Old 12-29-05, 11:05 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShavedNProud
Try going to bed wearing all your clothes, that way it is easier to get up in the morning. Personally when I bike in the winter I like to wear my hunting camo gear, so the night before I go biking I wear it all, even the orange vest. I get some weird looks, some people point and laugh, but joke is on them, I'm the one getting healthier!
LOL!

Awesome username. Dare I ask what is shaved? No....nevermind
Old 12-29-05, 11:14 AM
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by va_cyclist
Y'all are STUDS. I can barely get out of bed to drive a car to work sometimes.
+1

I've taken to lunch hour training this winter.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 12-29-05, 11:22 AM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I slept in this morning again. In fact, I was even a couple of hours late driving to work today. It's nice that my boss is on vacation.

It's the morning darkness that really gets me. If it's bright and sunny out but still cold outside (50 - 60 degrees), I'll go for a ride. I was thinking of getting a lightbox and setting it to gradually turn on 1/2 to 1 hour before I get up in the morning so I'll think it's late morning. Anyone try these?
Old 12-29-05, 11:32 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShavedNProud
Email me at freedom_003@hotmail.com and I'll send you a pic.
*confused*

I'm assuming you are male. Hopefully, it is either your head or legs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.