Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

reveted water bottle bosses

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 12-26-05, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I understand there are bosses that function like rivets. I would like to drill holes in my seat tube for water bottle bosses and do not want to mess with brazing and repainting. Anyone know about this, or who can supply them? Thanks.
Old 12-26-05, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
They are called "Rivnuts". Do a Google search to find more information. Contrary to popular opinion, you do NOT need to buy a special tool to install them although the tool does make installation easier. MANY OE frames come with Rivnuts, including Cannondale, so a good LBS should have a stock of them.

FWIW, I've installed them in a couple of frames with fine results.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 12-26-05, 05:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
undefined
Wicks aircraft sells the rivnuts and a pop rivet gun tool for installation that is quite inexpensive. They are not metric using a 10/32 screw but I've been satified with it.

Tom P
Old 12-27-05, 01:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
They are called "Rivnuts". Do a Google search to find more information. Contrary to popular opinion, you do NOT need to buy a special tool to install them although the tool does make installation easier. MANY OE frames come with Rivnuts, including Cannondale, so a good LBS should have a stock of them.

FWIW, I've installed them in a couple of frames with fine results.

Good luck.

Ed
Thanks for the information.
Old 01-01-06, 10:33 AM
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
McMaster-Carr has them in both english and metric sizes, look up "rivet nut" from their main page.
Old 09-19-06, 10:51 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all... I'm resurrecting this thread because I'd like to install two sets of bottle braze-ons onto my early-80s Fuji Allegro frame. It's a very nice frame other than the lack of bottle braze-ons.

I see the McMaster rivnuts here: https://www.mcmaster.com/param/dsc/ds...nks=Rivet+Nuts
There's quite a variety of them. Which kind would work best as bottle braze-ons?

I found a thread on rivnut installation in the archive, where Rev. Chuck sez:
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
you can install a rivnut without the special tool by using the correct size nut and bolt. Thread the nut on to the bolt and thread the bolt fully in to the riv nut. Insert the riv nut into the frame and crank the nut down on to the riv nut while pushing down on to bolt and preventing it from turning. Used to work for a Cdale dealer and we had to do this on some of the smaller frames, that the plier style tool would not fit into.
On the other hand, some experts like Jobst Brandt argue in this thread that rivnuts will weaken a frame. What do you guys think?

If I get rivnuts for M5 bolts, what is the appropriate diameter hole to drill in the frame? Should any kind of epoxy be used around the hole for extra secure/watertightness? Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-20-06, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
If I get rivnuts for M5 bolts, what is the appropriate diameter hole to drill in the frame? Should any kind of epoxy be used around the hole for extra secure/watertightness? Thanks for any advice!
Follow the instructions. It say what size hole to drill.
Originally Posted by tom porter
undefined
Wicks aircraft sells the rivnuts and a pop rivet gun tool for installation that is quite inexpensive. They are not metric using a 10/32 screw but I've been satified with it.

Tom P
A metric 5x0.8mm bolt fits just fine in the 10/32 hole. You can also spin down a long bolt so that its shank fits into a standard pop-rivet tool. Leave about 10mm of threads at the end to go into the riv-nut and >POP< it's in! I've always like to use a little epoxy on both sides of the hole to at least seal against water. I doubt the hole will cause much of a problem structurally since most frames aren't built on the super-light at-the-limit edge anyway. You might reduce its lifespan from 300 to 100-years. You'll most likely crash and bend the top-tube or chain/seat-stays well before the downtube.
Old 09-20-06, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Follow the instructions. It say what size hole to drill. A metric 5x0.8mm bolt fits just fine in the 10/32 hole. You can also spin down a long bolt so that its shank fits into a standard pop-rivet tool. Leave about 10mm of threads at the end to go into the riv-nut and >POP< it's in! I've always like to use a little epoxy on both sides of the hole to at least seal against water. I doubt the hole will cause much of a problem structurally since most frames aren't built on the super-light at-the-limit edge anyway. You might reduce its lifespan from 300 to 100-years. You'll most likely crash and bend the top-tube or chain/seat-stays well before the downtube.
Thanks, Danno. Mine is Fuji VALite single-butted tubing, nothing insanely light, so there should be no structural problem. I was planning to drill the seat tube as well, hope that's not a problem.

That just leaves the one bewildering question... which of the many types of rivnuts do I buy?
Old 09-20-06, 09:48 AM
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by moxfyre
That just leaves the one bewildering question... which of the many types of rivnuts do I buy?
94020A375
Old 09-20-06, 09:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoonerBent
94020A375
Thanks, SoonerBent. I see that's an aluminum M5 rivnut, with an open bottom. Is there a reason to choose aluminum over steel, given that the frame is steel?
Old 09-20-06, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Either steel or aluminum will work. I've always used Al because that's what I could swipe at work

One guy on the framebuilders list a while ago said that he had some old aluminum Rivnuts that had age hardened and were difficult to crimp. Bought some new steel ones and he was happy. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-20-06, 05:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nessism
Either steel or aluminum will work. I've always used Al because that's what I could swipe at work

One guy on the framebuilders list a while ago said that he had some old aluminum Rivnuts that had age hardened and were difficult to crimp. Bought some new steel ones and he was happy. Take it for what it's worth.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna see if I can get these locally, and if not go with McMaster.
Old 09-20-06, 10:20 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Any time you drill a big holes and then load it, it isn't all that wonderful for the frame. It's not all that wonderful to heat the frame either, and I doubt braze will flange the hole to add back the strength. With motorcycle frames, the tubbing is pretty tough, and the "bungs" get welded in, which isn't a heat treating problem in CR. That makes for a tough assembly, unfortunately all we have with bikes is the hope the tube isn't critically weakened which is shouldn't be given the track record.

I would guess the seat post would be the least affected by drilling, and a water bottle on the outside of the downtube would be the worst. With the seatpost you just have to be careful not to get it in the way of the post, including any possible down position for shipping.

In terms of what material to use, would AL not be more favourable in terms of the galvanic series, the bung would corrode and not the tube, if the steel you chose happens to be lower the frame goes first. That's at least a consideration, though I may have the whole thing backwards.
Old 09-21-06, 12:16 AM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You've got it right. Metals higher up on the galvanic series will corrode first. So an AL insert would go first in a steel frame. However, the degree of corrosion also makes a difference and the closer the metals are on the series, the less the corrosion. Steel riv-nuts are probably 1010/1020 mild-steel which is just slightly higher up the series than chromoly, so this would probably result in the least amount of galvanic corrosion with the riv-nut being the sacrificial part.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 09-21-06 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 12:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All this talk of weakening the tubes is making me hesitant... are two little 5/32" holes in the downtube really that dangerous? How are brazed-in bottle bosses any stronger?
Old 09-21-06, 02:17 AM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Don't worry, it's not gonna weaken your bike at all. The braze-on bosses have a lip that's attached to the hole making the thickness around the hole thicker than the tubing by itself. If you epoxy the riv-nut in, that should serve a similar stiffening around the hole. On one of my old MTBs with thick tubing, I didn't even bother with an insert, I just drilled hole and tapped the tubing. The two threads were enough to hold a water-bottle cage. Still have that bike 10-years later, going on strong.