Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 09:27 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by extomesm
anyone have any pictures of the bianchi pista concept when its fuly built up? i cant find anything but the frame and fork and it be nice to see what it looks like all put togetherand all...shiny! mmm
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=7298
Old 12-10-03, 09:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xcutterx, yeah... the pinny is from ebay - maybe last may or so. it belonged to a track rider in texas. now it lives with me in brooklyn and is my daily rider, commuter, tooling-around-town bike, etc.

i got the complete bike for around $350, needed a new set of wheels (though i still have the old ones as backups), but otherwise, a very good deal, imo!
Old 12-10-03, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanx 165 new postiing on ebay i guess when i looked a few days ago there was nuttin.
Old 12-11-03, 12:03 AM

Bikes: surly steamroller, gios pista, van dessel country road bob, matsuri "the track", vicious cycles SS motivator, somec pursuit, allegro track, ground up custom track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i think i remember seeing that thing on there. it seemed to go for a lot less than i expected it to go for
Old 12-11-03, 01:54 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Nice bikes.
Old 12-11-03, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1978 Raleigh Competition GS Carlton
(Repainted)
Old Cinelli stem
Profile Designs Airwing bars
Dia Compe brake lever
Shimano 600 front brake
Surly hubs with Mavic MA3 rims
Old Shimano 105 cranks
Thompson Elite seat post
39-13

Fugly BMX pedals until my spd's come in next week
Old 12-12-03, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Streetdog, Independent Fabrications Deluxe & Steelman EuroCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gunnar Streetdog 56cm
(stripped down w/ cyclocross tires it makes a great trail runner)
Phil Wood high flange track hubs w/ OpenPro rims
Chris King headset
Salsa stem
Nitto mustache bars
Dia-Compe levers
Paul Touring canti brakes
Truvative Elita Cyclocross cranks
Truvative BB
Thompson seat post
[IMG]
Old 12-12-03, 06:56 PM

Bikes: A few more than my fair share.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the juxstaposition of the last two pictures posted. They are both excellant examples of different approaches to fixed gear/singlespeed bikes. MKRG and Streetdog, thanks for the great shots.
Old 12-12-03, 09:59 PM

Bikes: 89 Bottecchia, 90's Eddy Merckx MXL, Vision R40, Blk Mtn Cycles Super Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my Lemond from last year when I had it configured for SS over the winter.
Old 12-12-03, 11:40 PM

Bikes: surly steamroller, gios pista, van dessel country road bob, matsuri "the track", vicious cycles SS motivator, somec pursuit, allegro track, ground up custom track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have always liked gunnar Streetdogs. they seem a bit spendy but i am sure it well worth the money
Old 12-14-03, 08:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't resist throwing my a pic of my bike into the ring.

It's an Aquila, made of 6/4 Titanium (frame, and forks). It has a Campy Record internal headset, Giant carbon stem, 3T 6061 trackbar, Dura-Ace low-flange hubs and cog , Dura-Ace cranks, XTR BB, Litespeed Titanium seatpost, Brookes Team Pro saddle, 858 pedals, Aerohead Pro wheels, Michelin Axial Pro tires.
It weighs 16.5lbs. I could have made it a lot lighter, but that wasn't my goal. I don't race any more. The idea was to build a bike that would be supple over the bumps and cracks of Toronto roads, and yet stiff enough that I wouldn't lose too much precious energy.
This bike works.
Old 12-14-03, 08:38 PM
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is a sexy, sexy bike. very nice.
Old 12-14-03, 08:40 PM
BBQ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowUFO
I couldn't resist throwing my a pic of my bike into the ring.

It's an Aquila, made of 6/4 Titanium (frame, and forks). It has a Campy Record internal headset, Giant carbon stem, 3T 6061 trackbar, Dura-Ace low-flange hubs and cog , Dura-Ace cranks, XTR BB, Litespeed Titanium seatpost, Brookes Team Pro saddle, 858 pedals, Aerohead Pro wheels, Michelin Axial Pro tires.
It weighs 16.5lbs. I could have made it a lot lighter, but that wasn't my goal. I don't race any more. The idea was to build a bike that would be supple over the bumps and cracks of Toronto roads, and yet stiff enough that I wouldn't lose too much precious energy.
This bike works.

Wasn't that just on Ebay?
Old 12-15-03, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my VD country road bob fixie.
Old 12-15-03, 03:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the old style Country Bob, it has fliar while thumbing it nose at convention. I don't know why they changed it for this year. Maybe they wanted something more serious.
Old 12-16-03, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they made some changes that i think will help the bike sell more. i am really glad i got this style of frame. i think van dessel is a very cool company and i hope they stay around.
Old 12-16-03, 01:02 PM
Cat 6

Bikes: Scott CR-1, Serotta Legend, Serotta CR, Co-Motion Speedster tandem, Masi Nuevo Strada fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Masi Fixie

After riding my Motobecane Mirage fixed road bike conversion (#8 on fixedgeargallery.com) for several years, I decided to upgrade the frame and some of the components. I found this Masi Nuova Strada frame/fork on ebay with no mileage on it - bike salesman's sample. I built new wheels for it from Mavic CXP-33 hoops on a Surley flip-flop rear hub and a Campy Record front. Upgraded the saddle to a Terry Fly- same as my other road bikes. Got a Campy Centaur crankset with a 42 chainring and a 15 tooth cog and a 16 tooth freewheel. I have yet to use the freewheel, but it is there in case I find myself too far from home and running out of energy. It's got 3T Forma bars - my favorite. This bike has both aero brake levers hooked up and functional. Although I fortunately never needed a rear brake on my Motobecane I feel a bit safer in the event that I would have to make an emergency stop. Like all my bikes, I use double sided SPD MTB pedals because I like the convenience and walkability of MTB shoes. Tires are Vredstein tri-comps. I love riding this bike! Picture attached:
Old 12-16-03, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there must be some kind of closeout on those frames. i saw that the performance bicycles in denver has a bunch of those exact frames and are selling them for very reasonable prices. they look great and I am sure it makes a nice fixie. how do you like the Vredstein tri-comps? i have fortezzas and I love them
Old 12-17-03, 08:40 AM
Cat 6

Bikes: Scott CR-1, Serotta Legend, Serotta CR, Co-Motion Speedster tandem, Masi Nuevo Strada fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xcutterx
there must be some kind of closeout on those frames. i saw that the performance bicycles in denver has a bunch of those exact frames and are selling them for very reasonable prices. they look great and I am sure it makes a nice fixie. how do you like the Vredstein tri-comps? i have fortezzas and I love them
I think the frames are discontinued. At least that is why the guy on ebay said he was no longer needing to keep the sample. Too bad because the lugged steel frame rides like a dream. It uses "Genius" tubing.

The tri-comps are a great riding and durable tire. I also use the Fortezzas on my road bike. They are quite similar riding except that the tri-comps are a little grippier for cornering. These are the older ones that were still "Handmade in Holland". I have not tried the newer Asian made tri-comps. I have tried the new Fortezzas, however, and they ride about the same as the old ones.
Old 12-19-03, 12:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBQ
Wasn't that just on Ebay?

Yeah, said to say I'm selling it. I've re-listed it. I think it's going to sell this time. I have bills to pay and I work in a bike shop now so in the Summer I can prodeal a new fixie. Cannondale has a tribute to major Taylor for 2004 which I can pick up for cost less 10 or 20%. I'll probably buy that. But it's still going to be hard to part with this.
Old 12-22-03, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one more fun single speed. A old Schwinn Speedster setup with 26" (559) MTB wheels and a coaster brake. Currently, it has some old 26x1.9 knobbies that barely fit in the frame, which was originally intended for 26x1 3/8 tires. I'm getting my kicks by skidding to a stop all about town. Once the tire's bald, I'll put some 1.25" slicks on.

The coaster is a decent performer so far. Fortunately, there are no long downhill stretches, so it doesn't get overly taxed. But I am pleasantly surprised by the performance. I'll probably add a front caliper eventually.

Gearing is currently about 63". A good number. The hairpin saddle is a inexpensive giant leather thing that feels kinda like sitting on a bench with springs for legs. The North Road bars were at first upright, but inverted bars give a nice racy feel. Combine those with the saddle, coaster brake, and frame design, the bike has a interestingly retro vibe spanning the 20th century.
Old 12-22-03, 05:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shecky,
Very cherry! Nice job. That bike takes me back to my childhood when I had a Speedster. It was my first big kid bike.

I question you chances of getting a caliper on in the front. Even if you found one that had enough reach (looks mighty far to the rim from the crown), the fork looks a little lightweight, the fork might shudder under braking.

Enjoy your sweet ride. That bike is screaming for white wall tires.
Old 12-22-03, 06:10 PM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, that bike is screaming for a set of those Fireball tires.

Great, now I neeeed to find one of those curvy style frames. Grrrrrrrrr. Damn you inspiration lighters...

Dave
Old 12-23-03, 10:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auk
Actually, that bike is screaming for a set of those Fireball tires.

Great, now I neeeed to find one of those curvy style frames. Grrrrrrrrr. Damn you inspiration lighters...

Dave
Me too! I've been looking for an old Schwinn Typhoon for several months but they have gotten outrageously expensive. Time for another project bike.
Mark
Old 12-23-03, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a inexpensive Odyssey BMX sidepull and it fits perfectly on the front. I'll just have to get around to buying one. I've used them on a couple other bikes and they work well enough. It's nice that they cost less than $15.

The fork is one of those bladed Schwinn forged steel things. Same basic design used on millions of Schwinns up through the 70s. Hey, at least it's aerodynamic! I think they'll behave reasonably well with the brake, since the same kind of fork is found on other caliper equipped Schwinns such as the old Varsity, etc.

Speaking of the Varsity, the frame is a rather unusual design, a kind of half cantilever, half diamond. I've seen a small Varsity with the same styled frame. May have been the same dimensions for all I know, since I suspect my frame will accomodate 27" wheels. The other Schwinns I've seen with similar styled frames had smaller wheels, perhaps 24".

I've seen some Fireball tires, but they were too wide for this particular frame. A LBS carries inexpensive 1.75" whitewalls. Perhaps I'll use some of these for my bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.