Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Performance Forte Brand

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: In General, what quality level is Performance Forte?
Junk, I wouldn't put it on my old Sears Frame.
7.25%
Decent enough for everyday training rides.
63.77%
Same quality as mainstream brands (shimano, etc.)
28.99%
High end.
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Forte Brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 03:46 PM
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Forte Brand

Your opinions?
Old 09-01-11, 03:48 PM

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I think it's pronounced "fourty"

edit: I also like how it starts with the same first letter as the word "fast"
Old 09-01-11, 03:56 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,265 Times in 718 Posts
It depends on the item. I had an alloy seatpost that creaked all the time, and I tried on some shoes that felt like the uppers were made of plastic. I also had a pair of pedals that worked fine once I tightened the spindle on one. Finally, I've had a stem that worked great, skewers that worked as expected, and Titan wheels that held up fine.
Old 09-01-11, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with urbanknight. Depends on the item. I have some Forte items that are junk and others that work well.
Old 09-01-11, 04:29 PM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmm.. I always thought it was 'Fortay'. One of my coworkers bought the Look style Forte pedals. Even on fully loose, there were times I could not get my feet out of them. I actually had to coast down the road, and take my feet out of the shoes. Downright dangerous in my opinion.

Last edited by RacerOne; 09-01-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enough of it is junk that I don't trust any of it.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 09-01-11, 05:19 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are mainly debagged stuff. For example their Titan wheels are Alex Rims. I've had a pair for 4-5 years, held up pretty good, no truing needed. Their drive train is Microshift which is very respectable used by pro cycling Team Exergy.
Old 09-01-11, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like their platform pedals
Old 09-01-11, 05:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one of their " pro sl" sadles and I love it, but I bet with any company some parts are great, some not so great.
Old 09-01-11, 05:41 PM

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of their stuff is fine. I have a pair of SPD pedals that I commute in...creaky, but good enough. I've had them for over 2 years. I stock up on Forte tubes when they get cheap enough.
Old 09-01-11, 05:42 PM

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duckracer
I got one of their " pro sl" sadles and I love it, but I bet with any company some parts are great, some not so great.
oh yeah, I do have a Pro SL saddle as well. I like it for the price. Do I "love" it? Not sure...but saddles are so individual.
Old 09-01-11, 06:13 PM
Zei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked at a Performance shop and a lot of the proprietary stuff (forte, axiom, access, scattante, spin doctor, hurricane, transit etc...) is either a rebranding or designed by different companies in the field. Some Forte tires are actually Kenda; Titan wheels are Nuevations, Scattante frames are designed and manufactured partly by Fuji, Forte drive train components are by microshift. The only things that I know of that are 100% performance products are the clothes (and most made in America I believe).
As far as pronunciation, Forte: "4-tay" with a slightly Italian accent. At my shop we had a running gag of saying all the Performance brands as if they were Italian words, such as "Per-for-manche." Sometimes we'd do it to customers on chill day. "Welcome to Performanche!"

The quality of the products is pretty good. The "compare to" price is pretty accurate when looking at retail prices of the other brands, except on bikes where it seems a bit inflated. I ride with loads of performance brands on myself and on my bikes because of the discounts, and rather pleased with most of it. I'll answer questions about any of the products if you like. If we sell it, I've either used, tried, or heard about it.

Last edited by Zei; 09-01-11 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 06:51 PM
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info Zei. Thanks for the detailed reply!
Old 09-01-11, 06:57 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the flat bar shifters arent that good, they are rebranded microshift but they are different from the Nashbar rebranded microshift shifters. the fortes have clearance issues with my brake levers that the nashbar version didn't have. the road and mtb deraileurs work great and look better in person than pics
Old 09-01-11, 07:56 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,569 Times in 4,424 Posts
Like UK said.

It depends.

BTW 'It depends' is probably the correct answer to 90% of BF inquiries.
Old 09-01-11, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elkootcho
Some of their stuff is fine. I have a pair of SPD pedals that I commute in...creaky, but good enough. I've had them for over 2 years. I stock up on Forte tubes when they get cheap enough.
I had the SPD pedals too and barely creaked over 2k miles I used them. I guess I was fortunate. I also have the bib shorts but it goes below the knees. Too lazy to return and wear it only on rainy days (i don't like it when the back of my knees become wet - pet peeve).
The brand is not bad but not superb. Voted decent but probably wouldn't buy it again.
Old 09-01-11, 08:17 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like their bar tape. What I don't like is that it now has their new logo stamped all over it.
Old 09-01-11, 09:45 PM
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have some platform pedals that are very good.
Old 09-01-11, 10:00 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rode one of their "classic" saddles for a long time. It's a decent saddle for $35, which used to be the perma-sale price. Made in Italy, leather cover, very comfortable. They have since changed the styling, perhaps the manufacturer, and the price. Can't say anything about the current version.

I still have the saddle on one bike, but I switched to a Selle An-Atomica on my primary bike.
Old 09-01-11, 10:07 PM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Steve Rex, Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zei
...Titan wheels are Nuevations...
Same wheel with different decals, Titan and M28 Aero. They are sourced from the same supplier - Performance does not source them from Neuvation.
Old 09-01-11, 10:32 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,549 Times in 4,557 Posts
So far I've only tried the tires and tubes, I think. Tubes are fine. One Strada 25mm wore out REALLY quickly. And all of the Strada 25s seem like practically 23s to me. My other Strada has been holding up well and my Slick City 1.25s have performed well and worn well so far.
Old 09-01-11, 11:06 PM

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
One of my coworkers bought the Look style Forte pedals. Even on fully loose, there were times I could not get my feet out of them. I actually had to coast down the road, and take my feet out of the shoes. Downright dangerous in my opinion.
Had these. It was my first set of clipless pedals and the sales guy convinced me "You can get carbon for the same price as a name brand set that's not carbon."

I didn't know how bad it was until I was on a trip, rented a bike, and borrowed a pair of Look pedals from a friend. Came home, took one ride on the old pedals, bought the Look pedals. Been much happier ever since.
Old 09-01-11, 11:55 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 771 Times in 506 Posts
stuff I've bought I like, always find it to be as good as or better than other stuff at similar or slightly higher price point - if the specs suit what I'm lookin for. Been beating the crap out of a pr of campus pedals on my commuter, and they just keep on goin...
Forte DC PRo tires - obviously made by Kenda - great tires! fast, plenty durable, grippy enough on descents, light - as good as anything I've ridden. Not sure how they are in 'wet' since I don;t really get many really wet days here in Ca. On wet days I luv splashin around in the mud on the mtb.
I have no problems at least tryin any of their stuff - usually not disappointed.
Old 09-02-11, 12:13 AM
Zei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by haaseg
Had these. It was my first set of clipless pedals and the sales guy convinced me "You can get carbon for the same price as a name brand set that's not carbon."

I didn't know how bad it was until I was on a trip, rented a bike, and borrowed a pair of Look pedals from a friend. Came home, took one ride on the old pedals, bought the Look pedals. Been much happier ever since.
I use the Forte Carbon Pedals and they're absolutely perfect. Pedal goes to a vertical position rather quickly, clipping in doesn't take much effort. When I pedal I never clip out accidentally, but when I do clip out, I barely feel the resistance, and this is out-of-the box tension. My pedals, as well as all the rest in the store that I've examined feel the exact same way. I can't relate to your experience and I'd recommend these to anyone. The reviews on the site are all 5 stars and they're all detailed.

The Forte Team pedals, however, I've seen plenty of people return, and I've seen people clipping in and out of them, much much tougher than it has to be. Those I wouldn't recommend.
Old 09-02-11, 12:40 AM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you would recommend the Carbons. I have old Look pedals that are heavy and come with hard to find delta cleats. I was looking into getting those due to the price. Pedals are crazy expensive.

I love my performance ultra bibs, sadly i had to retire them only after 3 months of riding because my seat bag strap rubbed on them during one group ride, which lead to a weak spot, which is now a whole. . Have to wait till the clothing is half off again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.