Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Concussion recovery

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Concussion recovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 09:42 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix, Specialized FSR XC Pro, Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Concussion recovery

While mountain biking 2 weeks ago, I found myself lying in a heap in the middle of the woods, my glasses had been knocked off and all I could see was stars and my head hurt like he**. I know I had a concussion (I rode rodeo for 4 years and know concussions). I am still having headaches some days on rough roads or riding my cross bike, not all days but some. Anyone have experience with how long it might take to fully recover? I have heard of some having still had headaches up to 4 weeks after the accident.
Old 08-21-11, 09:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LS2379
While mountain biking 2 weeks ago, I found myself lying in a heap in the middle of the woods, my glasses had been knocked off and all I could see was stars and my head hurt like he**. I know I had a concussion (I rode rodeo for 4 years and know concussions). I am still having headaches some days on rough roads or riding my cross bike, not all days but some. Anyone have experience with how long it might take to fully recover? I have heard of some having still had headaches up to 4 weeks after the accident.
WTF? I thought you "rode rodeo for 4 years and know concussions"
Old 08-21-11, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
You need to go to your nearest MTF and confer with your PCM Gunny. This is not the place for medical advice. Hooah!
Old 08-21-11, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My headache lasted 90 days
Old 08-21-11, 09:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was on a remote road on Maui 3 years ago, riding along one minute, being helped into the back seat of a stranger's car the next. It was the next minute to me, anyway...I'd somehow crashed my bike, and still don't know what happened or how long I was out. My bike was dinged up but not seriously damaged, but I hit my head hard enough to crack the helmet, and the road rash still scars my shoulder. I didn't have bad headaches, but it was a month before it felt like the fog lifted.
Old 08-21-11, 09:55 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matroskin
WTF? I thought you "rode rodeo for 4 years and know concussions"
But I wasn't riding bikes at the time. Rodeo hurt and I figured that was just part of the ride. Now it is the little vibrations on the bike that are bringing on the headaches. Kinda sucks, Rodeo you toughed out for 8 seconds, it's hard to tough out 2 hours on a bike.
Old 08-21-11, 10:06 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife had a concussion over a month ago and still deals with some of the symptoms. The best thing you can do (doctor's advice) is physical AND cognitive rest. Limit reading, math, or critical thinking and definitely limit physical stress as much as possible. Good luck.
Old 08-21-11, 10:19 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lack of physical activity is driving me nuts (and making me fat). Math is critical to my job so, as much as I would like to quit it, I need to keep doing it. I was going to do the Devils backbone mountain cross ride this up coming weekend, but have canceled. Just hoping it goes away soon.
Old 08-21-11, 10:20 AM

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Did you get a CT scan or see a doc? Recovery varies with individuals. Sidney Crosby (Hockey) was hit in Jan and it's still not confirmed if he'll start the season in Sept.
Old 08-21-11, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to the doctor.

Last edited by CbadRider; 08-21-11 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment.
Old 08-21-11, 11:13 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doctor? I'm a Marine, we don't need no stinkin Doctors (Something that will probably be the end of me some day). My wife keeps telling me to take it easy and see the doctor, I guess I'm just to stupid to see it her way. I just told her to get another couple hundred thousand in insurance and enjoy the party. At 55 I just don't bounce back like I did at 22.
Old 08-21-11, 11:31 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
For most folks I say estimate 2-4 weeks before you feel back to 'normal.'

If you are not seeing gradual improvement you should see a physician.

PS why is this posted in road ? It happened during mountain biking.
Old 08-21-11, 11:36 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have your wife check behind your ears for bruising. This is called "battle signs" and is typical of moderate to severe concussions. If you have that, it's not a matter of "bouncing back". Your brain actually needs to heal.
Old 08-21-11, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Did you get a CT scan or see a doc? Recovery varies with individuals.
<<< This!

I have only had concussion once (was wearing a helmet too) god knows what shape my head would have been in if I wasn't - YIKES!
Old 08-21-11, 11:56 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It happen mountain biking, but I'm a Roadie at heart (I also live next to a state park with many miles of mountain bike trails. I still suck at it though). God knows what would have happen if I had not been wearing a helmet, second helmet I've trashed this year, first concussion in a long time. If I knew how to relax, it might not be so bad, but I'm just to high strung to chill out.

Last edited by LS2379; 08-21-11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's worth seeing the doc, if only to get it in your medical records. Worst case scenario you could have a brain bleed, or some sort of borderline issue. When I had a concussion after a bike accident they sent me for a CT just to make sure.

I'm in the Air Force, so toughing it out isn't our way.
Old 08-21-11, 01:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Physical activity must be avoided, that's especially critical in the few days following the injury. Getting back on the bike is probably why you continue to have post-concussive symptoms. Research concussive injury syndrome to see if you are experiencing other symptoms you may not think are related. Because you mentioned having concussive experiences before, you have increased risk of permanent damage.
Old 08-21-11, 02:07 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,675 Times in 2,077 Posts
Doctor? I'm a Marine, we don't need no stinkin Doctors (Something that will probably be the end of me some day). My wife keeps telling me to take it easy and see the doctor, I guess I'm just to stupid to see it her way. I just told her to get another couple hundred thousand in insurance and enjoy the party. At 55 I just don't bounce back like I did at 22.
Marine or not, head injuries are nothing to mess with. You may wake up dead tomorrow -- it happens.

Just sayin'
Old 08-21-11, 03:31 PM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i was stupid and rode my bike a week after sustaining a concussion due to an interaction with a pick-up truck. i did go against my doctor's recommendations. should have taken the 4 weeks to recover and perhaps then some.
Old 08-21-11, 03:54 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Marine or not, head injuries are nothing to mess with. You may wake up dead tomorrow -- it happens.

Just sayin'
Yea, I beginning to figure that out. Lots of head injuries through the years. Could just wake up dead tomorrow. Biggest thing I guess, is admitting I'm getting old, which is something I'm having trouble doing.
Old 08-21-11, 07:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am familiar with this problem. I was hit by a car last spring, unconscious for 2 days and my head hurt for a very long time. I was seriously hurt and it took me 5 months to get back to work.

With that experience let me say that this is nothng to fool with. If you are still having headaches you owe it to yourself to consult a doctor.
Old 08-21-11, 08:46 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Biggest thing I guess, is admitting I'm getting old, which is something I'm having trouble doing.
Getting old is no easy job, but you are discovering that for yourself.

Go see the doc.

My doc is a cyclist. That helps.

Semper Fi!
Old 08-21-11, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/yo...ussions/page/3

this article covers a lot of the long term effects of having a concussion. with your background of having numerous concussions it would be a good idea to see a doctor.
Old 08-21-11, 09:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recovery from concussions depends on so many different factors: age, prior history of concussions, where on your head you hit (direction of impact), height of fall, etc etc etc. Last year I was getting down off something at work, woke up 20 minutes later sitting on the floor (cell phone calls to the boss determined how long I was out for). Didn't feel right for about a week. But I have no history of concussions either. Hockey players with more than 1 concussion take a very long time to get back to normal, and longer to return to playing. Go to your PCP and get checked.
Old 08-22-11, 12:49 AM
pbd

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
My concussion took about 2 weeks to feel no symptoms at all. Headaches were constant for 3 days, intermittent for another week. The final symptom to leave was that I'd have double vision in the morning when I woke up for just a few minutes before it would go away.

I got mine road biking, still don't know what happened. Based on my last memory pre-crash, the location where I was found, and my cycling computer (all in agreement), I don't have any recollection of the last ~2 miles I rode. I was apparently found unconscious by a passerby who called 911. By the time the paramedic was there, I was up and walking around and responding to questions accurately, but kept asking them the same questions over and over. I don't remember any of that, the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance strapped to a backboard. I then don't remember arriving at the hospital, but I remember when my wife arrived. All told, I'm missing 2 miles of riding and about 3 other hours. I just wish I had some clue what happened.

The bike was fine, a scratched shifter and that's it. My helmet had a dent about the size of a baseball and a 2"-long crack all the way through it, in front of and above my left temple. After testing the damaged helmet with a hammer, it's amazing how hard I had to have hit my head to do that kind of damage.

But yeah, concussions are no joke. Research now seems to be showing that concussions are often much more serious than they have been taken in the past, don't mess around with it being tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.