Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 06:45 PM

Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by M.G.L. Chapter 85 Section 11B(2)
(iii) Any person 16 years of age or younger operating a bicycle or being carried as a passenger on a bicycle on a public way, bicycle path or on any other public right-of-way shall wear a helmet. Said helmet shall fit the person's head, shall be secured to the person's head by straps while the bicycle is being operated, and shall meet the standards for helmets established by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. These requirements shall not apply to a passenger if the passenger is in an enclosed trailer or other device which adequately holds the passenger in place and protects the passenger's head from impact in an accident.

(iv) A violation of clause (ii) or (iii) shall not be used as evidence of contributory negligence in any civil action.
So you two hire your own legal researchers already.

Ask them who does the above apply to (hint, people below a what age, operating what where in which state. Does clause (iv) apply to anyone else? Better still, ask them what laws and precidents in contributory neglignce apply to YOU?

Or not. Personally I think this is a truly weak reason to wear a helmet, but that's just me.

-mr. bill
Old 08-02-16, 12:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was in a situation yesterday where i'm sure my helmet prevented myself getting hit by a car. 3 lanes of traffic had made a gap to allow a car turning left to pass through. I couldn't see him. By the time I rode into the gap and saw him, he slowed down in anticipation of me coming by. I was hidden behind the rows of cars, except my helmet was just above them. I believe that's how he was able to spot me.

A situation where you might regret not wearing a helmet is very possible.

"I shouldn't have worn a helmet" - No One Ever
Old 08-02-16, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
So you two hire your own legal researchers already.
Thoroughly confused. Do you agree or disagree with rydabent's claim:

Originally Posted by rydabent
In the case you get into an accident with a car, the drivers lawyer will try to make it all your fault or at least partly your fault if you are not wearing a helmet.
If you agree, surely there must be some case one of you can cite to bolster your case that this might happen to someone else in addition to the poor soul who got scammed the first time.

If you don't agree with rydabent that this a. ever happened and b. is ever going to happen, then we agree and the full burden of proof lays on rydabent's shoulders since he is making the bogus claim.
Old 08-02-16, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider

"I shouldn't have worn a helmet" - No One Ever
About two months ago, on my way home from work there came a heavy rain. After about ten minutes the salt was washing from the head strap pad into my eyes creating a serious safety hazard. At that point I did say "I shouldn't have worn a helmet". I had to take the silly thing off to continue.
Old 08-03-16, 07:52 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Thoroughly confused. Do you agree or disagree with rydabent's claim:

If you agree, surely there must be some case one of you can cite to bolster your case that this might happen to someone else in addition to the poor soul who got scammed the first time.

If you don't agree with rydabent that this a. ever happened and b. is ever going to happen, then we agree and the full burden of proof lays on rydabent's shoulders since he is making the bogus claim.
No one can prove or disprove what someone "might" claim in a future court case. Someone "might" claim ANYTHING, no matter how preposterous or irrelevant. Of course that is no evidence that such a claim was ever made, much less successfully made, in the past. Or will be successful in the future.

Someone "might" in the future claim that any injuries suffered by a bicyclist in a collision with a motorized vehicle is entirely the fault of the bicyclist because the cyclist was riding a bicycle instead of driving a motor vehicle which could have offered more personal protection in case of a collision.

Or someone "might" in the future claim that any injuries suffered by a recumbent rider in a collision with a motorized vehicle is entirely the fault of the recumbent rider because the cyclist was riding a recumbent instead of a typical bicycle with a higher profile that is easier to see in traffic.
Old 08-03-16, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No one can prove or disprove what someone "might" claim in a future court case. Someone "might" claim ANYTHING, no matter how preposterous or irrelevant. Of course that is no evidence that such a claim was ever made, much less successfully made, in the past. Or will be successful in the future.
FWIW it does come up sometimes in states where fault is allocated by comparative negligence. You may want case cites and the ultimate resolutions, but I'm not going to say one way or the other how well that works in municipal and magistrate courts, nor in settlements. It's not that easy to get that information. But it's reasonable to say that wearing a helmet avoids it in the first place.
Old 08-03-16, 08:46 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by wphamilton
FWIW it does come up sometimes in states where fault is allocated by comparative negligence. You may want case cites and the ultimate resolutions, but I'm not going to say one way or the other how well that works in municipal and magistrate courts, nor in settlements. It's not that easy to get that information. But it's reasonable to say that wearing a helmet avoids it in the first place.
Just as reasonable to say, (assuming that it is legal for adults to ride without a helmet) as not riding a bicycle in traffic, or perhaps not taking the lane avoids claims of comparative negligence for not driving a "safer" vehicle in traffic.

Again, ANYTHING "might" be presented in court, no matter how preposterous or irrelevant.
Old 08-03-16, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just as reasonable to say, (assuming that it is legal for adults to ride without a helmet) as not riding a bicycle in traffic, or perhaps not taking the lane avoids claims of comparative negligence for not driving a "safer" vehicle in traffic.

Again, ANYTHING "might" be presented in court, no matter how preposterous or irrelevant.
All I can say is that I have seen claims of comparative negligence with respect to the helmet, and not about those other things. Making up unreasonable examples of what "might" be claimed is inconsequential to the fact that not wearing a helmet sometimes "is" claimed as comparative negligence.
Old 08-03-16, 05:37 PM
Been Around Awhile

All I can say is that I have seen claims of comparative negligence with respect to the helmet, and not about those other things. Making up unreasonable examples of what "might" be claimed is inconsequential to the fact that not wearing a helmet sometimes "is" claimed as comparative negligence.
Again, ANYTHING could be referenced in respect to claims of comparative negligence. IMO it is unreasonable to assume that any such claims are ever successful or consequential in the absence of a legal requirement for its use or wear.
Old 08-04-16, 02:48 PM

Again, hire your own lawyer already if you want your answer to your legal question.

It's been my experience that clients who hire themselves as their own lawyer give horrible legal advice to themselves. Especially when they know nothing about the law.

As respectfully as I can put it, you don't have a clue.

-mr. bill
Old 08-04-16, 03:04 PM

Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Can anyone cite a case where a cyclist involved in a crash was found at fault or negligent, even by a percentage, for not wearing a helmet...?
Old 08-05-16, 07:36 AM

Cordy v. Sherwin Williams Co., 975 F. Supp. 639, 641 (D.N.J. 1997).
Nunez v. Schneider Nat’l Carriers, 217 F. Supp. 2d 562, 564 (D.N.J. 2002).

Let me be clear that I don't know anything about these cases except that they are cited by "LITIGATING THE INVOLUNTARY DISMOUNT—NUNEZ V. SCHNEIDER NATIONAL CARRIERS AND THE VIABILITY OF A BICYCLE HELMET DEFENSE by Hans N. Huggler

As noted there, "The Note concludes that the bicycle helmet defense is a viable strategy
for reducing a defendant’s damages when an un-helmeted cyclist has
incurred head injuries that could have been prevented through helmet
use. In the 10 jurisdictions whose jurisprudential and legislative environments
make them “target states,” the defense should be a natural extension
of the seatbelt defense, even where the seatbelt defense itself has
been statutorily curtailed. "
Old 08-05-16, 08:10 AM

In DC....

-mr. bill
Old 08-05-16, 08:47 AM

Yes and there are also some weaker statutes in some states providing that the failure of children to wear helmets is not admissible as negligence against the parents. It seems reasonable that these statutes arise from precedent where helmet non-use has been claimed as contributory in the past.
Old 08-05-16, 09:10 AM

Yes and there are also some weaker statutes in some states providing that the failure of children to wear helmets is not admissible as negligence against the parents. It seems reasonable that these statutes arise from precedent where helmet non-use has been claimed as contributory in the past.
It would seem that way to reasonable people.

-mr. bill
Old 08-05-16, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Cordy v. Sherwin Williams Co., 975 F. Supp. 639, 641 (D.N.J. 1997).
Nunez v. Schneider Nat’l Carriers, 217 F. Supp. 2d 562, 564 (D.N.J. 2002).

Let me be clear that I don't know anything about these cases except that they are cited by "LITIGATING THE INVOLUNTARY DISMOUNT—NUNEZ V. SCHNEIDER NATIONAL CARRIERS AND THE VIABILITY OF A BICYCLE HELMET DEFENSE by Hans N. Huggler

As noted there, "The Note concludes that the bicycle helmet defense is a viable strategy
for reducing a defendant’s damages when an un-helmeted cyclist has
incurred head injuries that could have been prevented through helmet
use. In the 10 jurisdictions whose jurisprudential and legislative environments
make them “target states,” the defense should be a natural extension
of the seatbelt defense, even where the seatbelt defense itself has
been statutorily curtailed. "
I have only made it through the first case, Cordy vs. Sherwin Williams (Cordy v. Sherwin Williams Co., 975 F. Supp. 639 (D.N.J. 1997) :: Justia) but I cannot fathom how that case could possibly be used to support the conclusion you've quoted. It is an explicit example of a court rejecting a defendant's claim that the cyclist was negligent for not wearing a helmet. The case also addresses the issue of comparing seatbelts and motorcycle helmets and declares that neither is relevant to the issue of wearing a bicycle helmet which is not a legal requirement for an adult in NJ.
Old 08-05-16, 11:49 AM

And one unreasonable person checks in. And in three-two-one...

-mr. bill
Old 08-05-16, 01:04 PM

I have only made it through the first case, Cordy vs. Sherwin Williams (Cordy v. Sherwin Williams Co., 975 F. Supp. 639 (D.N.J. 1997) :: Justia) but I cannot fathom how that case could possibly be used to support the conclusion you've quoted. It is an explicit example of a court rejecting a defendant's claim that the cyclist was negligent for not wearing a helmet. The case also addresses the issue of comparing seatbelts and motorcycle helmets and declares that neither is relevant to the issue of wearing a bicycle helmet which is not a legal requirement for an adult in NJ.
"While the District Court rejected Sherwin Williams’s attempt to assert a “bicycle helmet defense” in 1997,
Schneider National was successful in asserting it in 2002.9"

I'm just lifting the cites, and this quote, from that original link. You aren't disputing that the defense used the lack of a helmet as a comparative negligence defense, surely?
Old 08-05-16, 02:40 PM

"While the District Court rejected Sherwin Williams’s attempt to assert a “bicycle helmet defense” in 1997,
Schneider National was successful in asserting it in 2002.9"

I'm just lifting the cites, and this quote, from that original link. You aren't disputing that the defense used the lack of a helmet as a comparative negligence defense, surely?
I will have to go read the details of the second case. I made my comments based on you posting the first case as if it supported the conclusion you quoted. It did not and this new quote says just that. I only looked at the case posted, not the link you posted. If you knew the case didn't support the conclusion, why didn't you note that?

I think my post makes it pretty darn clear that I don't deny that defense was used. But it wasn't successful. And had it been, it would be a shame since the helmet would likely have done little to nothing to help the plaintiff and was not a legal requirement.

Off to read the second case...
Old 08-05-16, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mconlonx
Can anyone cite a case where a cyclist involved in a crash was found at fault or negligent, even by a percentage, for not wearing a helmet...?
Nunez v. Schneider National Carriers, 217 F. Supp. 2d 562 (D.N.J. 2002) :: Justia

Here, uncontradicted studies conducted by various national agencies reveal that helmets significantly reduce the incidence of death from head injury, which is the leading cause of bicycling fatalities. It has been reported that anywhere from 70 to 85 percent of all fatal bicycle crashes involve head injuries. Nat'l Hwy. Traffic Safety Admin., State Legislative Fact Sheet (April 2002); see also National Safety Council, Fact Sheet Library: Enjoy Safe Bicycling, https:// www.nsc.org/library/facts/bicycle. htm (last visited July 11, 2002). According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at the U.S. Department of Transportation, "[b]icycle helmets are 85 to 88 percent effective in mitigating head and brain injuries, making the use of helmets the single most effective way to reduce head injuries and fatalities resulting from bicycle crashes." U.S. Dept. Of Trans. Nat'l Hwy. Traffic Safety Admin., State Legislative Fact Sheet (April 2002); see also Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute ("BHSI"), A Compendium of Statistics from Various Sources, https:// Bicycle Helmet Statistics (last visited July 11, 2002). Indeed, numerous organizations, including the NHTSA, the BHSI and the National Safety Council promote the use of helmets by all cyclists. Id.; see also Nat'l Safety Council, Fact Sheet Library: Enjoy Safe Bicycling, https:// www.nsc.org/library/facts/bicycle.htm (last visited July 11, 2002).
Apparently if you can convince a judge that bicycle helmets can reduce head injuries and fatalities by 85-88% you can get damages reduced.
Old 08-05-16, 03:53 PM

I will have to go read the details of the second case. I made my comments based on you posting the first case as if it supported the conclusion you quoted. It did not and this new quote says just that. I only looked at the case posted, not the link you posted. If you knew the case didn't support the conclusion, why didn't you note that?

I think my post makes it pretty darn clear that I don't deny that defense was used. But it wasn't successful. And had it been, it would be a shame since the helmet would likely have done little to nothing to help the plaintiff and was not a legal requirement.

Off to read the second case...
The two case cites show that the defense was tried in two well-known cases, which apparently is in dispute.

The note from the legal scholar that it is a viable defense in at least the 10 states, is apparently quoted from case law or notes from case law. I included it to show that it's not a fanciful concern, as has been argued here.

As I said to ILTB, I do not intend to look up case law nor to comment on how effective the defense is. For one thing, many of these cases are in magistrate courts or equivalent which are not recorded, and aside from being a lawyer who specializes in those types of cases, or making a special study of it, there is no possible way of knowing what arguments were made, why the judges came to a particular decision and so on. I'm not going to speculate about that.

But someone asked about whether it's ever been tried, and if it had any success there, and I think that the link I provided is a really good discussion of it. He claims that "Schneider National was successful" in 2002. It appears that the other case was successful and helmet related arguments were raised. I'm not arguing cases - I'm just proving to the skeptics that they're real.
Old 08-05-16, 09:27 PM

The two case cites show that the defense was tried in two well-known cases, which apparently is in dispute.
That the defense was tried is not in dispute from anyone. That it was successful is what is has been disputed.

The note from the legal scholar that it is a viable defense in at least the 10 states, is apparently quoted from case law or notes from case law. I included it to show that it's not a fanciful concern, as has been argued here.
As I noted, only of the two cases showed any signs of success. In the case that did show some level of success (Schneider National) the actual extent of the 'success' (lowering of damages due to lack of a helmet) is unknown. I can't seem to find any information on the trial where actual damages were awarded. The case cited was only deciding whether or not damages could be limited by the decedent's lack of a helmet.

As I said to ILTB, I do not intend to look up case law nor to comment on how effective the defense is. For one thing, many of these cases are in magistrate courts or equivalent which are not recorded, and aside from being a lawyer who specializes in those types of cases, or making a special study of it, there is no possible way of knowing what arguments were made, why the judges came to a particular decision and so on. I'm not going to speculate about that.
But ILTB's entire point was that the defense is ineffective. He was very clear that he is not arguing that it is never tried. Anything can be tried.

But someone asked about whether it's ever been tried, and if it had any success there, and I think that the link I provided is a really good discussion of it. He claims that "Schneider National was successful" in 2002. It appears that the other case was successful and helmet related arguments were raised. I'm not arguing cases - I'm just proving to the skeptics that they're real.
The Schneider National case shows some hint of success. Actual success is unknown. The other case showed complete failure. Given that the entire Schneider National case was built on the premise that bicycle helmets are 85-88% effective in preventing death by head injury to cyclists, I am very skeptical that a higher court would uphold that decision. There is way too much evidence disproving that conclusion. IIRC, even the authors of that study later retracted that claim.
Old 08-06-16, 06:53 AM

@joejack951 the Lewis & Clark Law Review linked earlier has a different take on it than you do. We're all free to accept or reject the analysis of lawyers and law students of course, but I provide it because @mconlonx and @I-Like-To-Bike requested information. I'm not going to argue their conclusions against you.

In short, to the two questions raised, yes the helmet defense IS used and it is not a case of "you can argue anything" in court. Secondly, the helmet defense has prevailed in some cases and failed in others.
Old 08-06-16, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but if wearing a helmet could reduce damages, then I would argue why didn't Schneider have a gee whiz bang accident avoidance laser beam system? There are accident avoidance systems on the market, and since Schneider choose not to install them, it is now their fault the accident happened in the first place.
Old 08-06-16, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Yes, but if wearing a helmet could reduce damages, then I would argue why didn't Schneider have a gee whiz bang accident avoidance laser beam system? There are accident avoidance systems on the market, and since Schneider choose not to install them, it is now their fault the accident happened in the first place.
The standard is reasonable steps to avoid foreseeable injury. Like you, I personally don't consider wearing a helmet to qualify under that standard, but the whiz bang laser system is probably not a "reasonable step".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.