Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Downtube folding bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
The BIG comes in a huge box which is hard to inventory, it's very costly to ship, and it's costs a lot to produce. Hence I was hoping to presell the BIG via crowd funding. Our first campaign did not work out. We will try again soon. I am looking to hire someone to help solve our crowd funding issues.

I do not expect to sell this bike via normal retail on our website. I am fairly certain it would not work, hence I would rather not assume the risk.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-11-16, 02:18 PM

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Thanks
Yan
looks good yan. good luck!
Old 09-11-16, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by smallwheeler
looks good yan. good luck!
Thanks...I'm excited! This year I added several new bikes to our lineup and I have 3 samples which have a good chance of entering production. Additionally we will enter the ebike market within two years.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-12-16, 12:18 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 901 Times in 632 Posts
The BIG comes in a huge box which is hard to inventory, it's very costly to ship, and it's costs a lot to produce. Hence I was hoping to presell the BIG via crowd funding. Our first campaign did not work out. We will try again soon. I am looking to hire someone to help solve our crowd funding issues.

I do not expect to sell this bike via normal retail on our website. I am fairly certain it would not work, hence I would rather not assume the risk.

Thanks
Yan
2 suggestions,...try Kickstarter instead, and sell the bike by itself. Believe me, more people trust Kickstarter. And a single item for sale usually has greater success. When multiple items are listed on these crowdfunding sites people tend to think the creator/manufacturer is spreading themselves too thin. They don't think it'll be produced, and fear losing their money.
Old 09-12-16, 01:47 PM

but, why not a fatbike mini velo?
Old 09-12-16, 05:37 PM

but, why not a fatbike mini velo?
Burro Bike did this a long time ago. It is a very small market.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 09-12-16, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tds101
2 suggestions,...try Kickstarter instead, and sell the bike by itself. Believe me, more people trust Kickstarter. And a single item for sale usually has greater success. When multiple items are listed on these crowdfunding sites people tend to think the creator/manufacturer is spreading themselves too thin. They don't think it'll be produced, and fear losing their money.
Thanks for the advice. I thought it would give people more options...and more opportunity.

Thanks again,
Yan
Old 09-12-16, 07:03 PM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
...yes...

...a fat minivelo with 4.00" (ETRTO 100-406) meat. You know, a mini version of a Surly Ice Cream Truck, in pastel blue...

Old 09-13-16, 03:53 AM
55+ Club,...

A fat tire minivelo is NOW something that I'd prefer. All the traction of a fatbike, in a smaller, easier to maneuver and carry in my house package. Oh yeah,...so HoTT!!!
Old 09-13-16, 04:48 PM

I would like to explain my rational and interest in crowd funding. Moving forward I would love to sell bikes cheaper than we do today, and donate all profits. However, I am having problems with inventory management, and cash flow. I see CF as a perfect solution for the following reasons:

1. It solves the cash flow problem.
2. Inventory on CF bikes would not exist
3. Warranty issues would be easier to handle since I have exact numbers and can estimate required parts. Currently I get bikes, then more bikes....then some more. Hence I have to wait for warranty parts occasionally ( which is a headache )
4. Donations could happen quickly no waiting until cash positions are high.

So I like CF, but I am not really good at it yet. I would make an offer to the members here....along the lines of open source software. I would look to develop one ( or more ) CF bikes with the help of forum members. All profits go to charity ( World Wildlife Fund or something similar ), I need a team of volunteers to help develop the bike. Any one else? If so let me know and we will find a way to make this work.

Ideally I would not want to handle the campaign money. I just want funds for warranty & shipping of warranty parts ( unless that can be outsourced...then I need nothing ). FYI I teach in Hawaii until Dec 16th, so I can not shoot videos for 3+ months, but maybe someone else can??? My factory needs between 2-5 months to get samples ready ( internal hubs take longer than regular drivetrains )

Does anyone want to do an open source bike project?

Thanks,
Yan

Last edited by downtube; 09-16-16 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 05:30 PM
55+ Club,...

This is a Radmini folding ELECTRIC bike. The design MIGHT be a good reference point to start with. The sky is the limit with a quality design. And, folding ISN'T a necessity.

The image is courtesy of ElectricBikeReview.com

Old 09-13-16, 08:29 PM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Sure...what do you have in mind?

I would like to explain my rational and interest in crowd funding. Moving forward I would love to sell bikes cheaper than we do today, and donate all profits. However, I am having problems with inventory management, and cash flow. I see CF as a perfect solution for the following reasons:

3. Warranty issues would be easier to handle since I have exact numbers and can estimate required parts. Currently I get bikes, then more bikes....then some more. Hence I have to wait for warranty parts occasionally ( which is a headache )

So I like CF, but I am not really good at it yet. I would make an offer to the members here....along the lines of open source software. I would look to develop one ( or more ) CF bikes with the help of forum members. All profits go to charity ( World Wildlife Fund or something similar ), I need a team of volunteers to help develop the bike. I expect that Abu would handle the style aspect ( he's talented ). Abu are you interested? Any one else? If so let me know and we will find a way to make this work.

Ideally I would not want to handle the campaign money. I just want funds for warranty & shipping of warranty parts ( unless that can be outsourced...then I need nothing ). FYI I teach in Hawaii until Dec 16th, so I can not shoot videos for 3+ months, but maybe someone else can??? My factory needs between 2-5 months to get samples ready ( internal hubs take longer than regular drivetrains )

Thanks,
Yan
Old 09-13-16, 08:34 PM

How big are them chops on those rims? This rig needs a camouflage paint scheme in order to give it a take-no-prisoners mercenary vibe. And it needs to be steel rigid, integrated aluminium can panniers that resemble gerry cans and IGH so you can trash it like a Timex.

The genius of a fat minivelo is that the smaller wheel mitigates the weight, large wheelbase and acceleration penalties of 26", 27.5" and 29" wheel fatsos...

This is a Radmini folding ELECTRIC bike. The design MIGHT be a good reference point to start with. The sky is the limit with a quality design. And, folding ISN'T a necessity.

The image is courtesy of ElectricBikeReview.com

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-13-16 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Sure...what do you have in mind?
I'm not sure, but maybe the following outline will help:

Step 1: I would need a list of participants.
Step 2: I would ask participants volunteer for a specific duty. Duties include designing the frame, picking components, managing the crowdfunding, doing the video, and artistic touches.
Step 3: After a vote to pick the winning bike/frame ( 20" wheel fat wheel, one size fits all fat wheel, full suspension ebike, etc.... ) a list would be compiled to pick components.
Step 4: CAD person would get to work on the frame
Step 5: Testing the sample ( tester has to pay for it and gets to keep it).
Step 6: Video for CF campaign
Step 7: Text for the campaign
Step 8: The person handling the money would handle logistics and delivery to the customer, keeping enough parts/ shipping money for warranty claims.
Step 9: Once it is done ALL profits go to World Wildlife Fund or something similar ( again a vote should choose ).

Anyone interested? I would prefer not to be the one handling money, but I could do almost everything else as needed ( I always wear many hats ). I see this as a good opportunity to create a great bike to share with others.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 09-14-16, 12:48 AM

So who's down for a Mini Fatso?

Color schemeS
* John Deere green/yellow
* KLM blue/white
* Kylo Ren matte black/silver

Those in Indonesia or with an Indonesian spouse (Yan knows who we are) will be able to special order the Batik vermillion/cobalt paint scheme

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-14-16 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 03:54 AM
55+ Club,...

If it's proportionately sound, and has a frame that really can handle riding in more extreme situations, I'd so GO FOR IT! If it doesn't fold, it's more solid, and the frame is definitely going to be stronger.
Old 09-14-16, 06:15 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Color schemeS
* John Deere green/yellow
* KLM blue/white
* Kylo Ren matte black/silver

Those in Indonesia or with an Indonesian spouse (Yan knows who we are) will be able to special order the Batik vermillion/cobalt paint scheme
Looks like a fractual world equation!!
Old 09-14-16, 04:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's proportionately sound, and has a frame that really can handle riding in more extreme situations, I'd so GO FOR IT! If it doesn't fold, it's more solid, and the frame is definitely going to be stronger.
Nice solid frame and wide wheels for extra grip for extreme riding could be useful:

Old 09-14-16, 05:05 PM

mocking, stealing, paying homage, or a mix of the three?

Old 09-14-16, 05:50 PM
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by badmother
Nice solid frame and wide wheels for extra grip for extreme riding could be useful:
You almost made me poop my pants!!!
Old 09-14-16, 11:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You almost made me poop my pants!!!
sorry, did not know you were that sensitive
Old 09-15-16, 12:43 AM

You've been out of Indonesia too long, bro. The pattern on that bike is not Javanese, or a batik or kain jawa motif. That motif, that artwork is either Papuan or native Australian.

mocking, stealing, paying homage, or a mix of the three?

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-15-16 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 02:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You've been out of Indonesia too long, bro. The pattern on that bike is not Javanese, or a batik or kain jawa motif. That motif, that artwork is either Papuan or native Australian.
Do`nt you think it was the idea of a native print on a bike that he was refering to- and not nescesarely a Indonesian print? At least I do. To decide what is "native" where is not a job for this group of bike nerds I think. Peopel have been travelling and bringing home inspiration from other parts of the world for so long that "where it came from" makes no sense- at least to me.
Old 09-15-16, 02:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I like CF, but I am not really good at it yet. I would make an offer to the members here....along the lines of open source software. I would look to develop one ( or more ) CF bikes with the help of forum members. All profits go to charity ( World Wildlife Fund or something similar ), I need a team of volunteers to help develop the bike. I expect that Abu would handle the style aspect ( he's talented ). Abu are you interested? Any one else? If so let me know and we will find a way to make this work.

Thanks,
Yan
Not to offend anybody but if you want to invite peopel by name I suggest you mention more than one. Smallwheeler has shown many times he has got exellent taste and a lot of knowledge (at least IMHO) and, not mentioning him is enough to keep him out I think. You invite others several times (in general) but my guess is that it is not enough for a sensitive artistic soul. If this was my project (or if I was a part of it) I would have wanted him in on it. Just sayin.

Wishing you all good luck. I`ll stick to my private projects for now
Old 09-15-16, 02:34 AM

Oh that's what this is all about. The popular kids sulking cuz they weren't invited to play, and not given credit for inventing the wheel. Let me get this straight. You take exception to the open call for collaboration because i. only one person was mentioned explicitly, and ii. SW was not mentioned by name?

SW: do you indeed feel slighted, or is BM banging on one of those empty drums in his sig line?

Originally Posted by badmother
Not to offend anybody but if you want to invite peopel by name I suggest you mention more than one. Smallwheeler has shown many times he has got exellent taste and a lot of knowledge (at least IMHO) and, not mentioning him is enough to keep him out I think. You invite others several times (in general) but my guess is that it is not enough for a sensitive artistic soul. If this was my project (or if I was a part of it) I would have wanted him in on it. Just sayin.

Wishing you all good luck. I`ll stick to my private projects for now

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-15-16 at 03:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.