Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Things Have Changed and It's Deadly ... off-topic but life and death

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Things Have Changed and It's Deadly ... off-topic but life and death

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 08:43 AM
Likes Steel and Lugs

Bikes: 1984 Trek 660, Buzz Bike Eliminator,1987 Schwinn Paramount, 1983 Trek 730

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really moving story, everyone should have an emgency plan for their family. Glad you and family are safe Lenton.

Last edited by MarylandDeRosa; 03-22-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 09:25 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 352 Times in 177 Posts
Yes...I do expect my government to assist me, and others, in evacuations during an emergency. Yes, I think that's a valid and legitimate function of government and a reasonable use of public resources. Yes, I think my citizenship gives me certain entitlements from my country, just as it comes with responsibilities (jury duty, voting, taxation, draft list, etc.).

To quote Harry Tuttle, "We're all in it together."
Old 03-23-11, 11:18 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
If you risk your health or life by going back, please consider giving up your job and property to stay safe. I know we can't always afford to, but I hope I would make that decision.
Yes .. there you have my great concern in a nutshell. One has to add up the possibe risks and set threm alongside the pluses and minuses. The family can remain here if I go back to work, although there is a downside there too. I have kind of scrambeled all my life for a living like so many of us do. And I have invested our pile in Sendai. If it is within reason to return and work there, I'll go back. Mari and Shoh can continue to chill here among friends and family in a city that Mari knows from having lived and worked here years ago.

Vancouver has some nice bright weather today which is helping me with a bit of the blues.

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. Yes, my detractors are in the minority. No one can be exposed to public opinion without incurring some negative reaction. Cheers ... Lorne
Old 03-24-11, 03:44 AM

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strock
As an American, I feel awkward commenting on the backlash that has been directed at you and others by certain of your countrymen. I will say just three things: (1) that I am sorry that you are having to deal with such crap, (2) that I trust those who feel the way that you have described are a small minority, and (3) regrettably, that the same sort of attitude can be found south of the border.
+1 well said.

I've learned that this kind of backlash of negative comments is fueled by a small minority of vocal "haters" who bizarrely feel it is appropriate to vent at strangers, especially through the funhouse mirror world of the Internet.

I learned this through a cycling event actually. Last summer I joined a large grand fondo ride on rural roads outside Madison. In the publicity buildup to the event, every online news article gained a "comments" thread full of nasty vitriol from rural residents about how "we want you @#&)^$*&#@ cyclists off our roads," that type of thing. When the event day came, I was worried riders would be booed and worse from the roadside as we rode through the centers of a couple of small towns. Instead people were out cheering and ringing cowbells.

My point is, I learned you shouldn't let the "haters" get to you (especially ones on the Internet), there is a larger "silent majority" out there who support you!

Last edited by sekaijin; 03-24-11 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-25-11, 05:26 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Sekajin: I like that story very much, and I enjoyed how you expressed it. Thanks — Lorne