Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Illmatic Panasonic

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Illmatic Panasonic

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 10:43 PM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colintdesign
You make a lot of assumptions and you don't know me. What exactly is your problem with my critique? I grew up skating and hate to see all those old graphics I loved being poorly ripped off. And doesn't all this 'streetwear' stuff cost a fortune anyway? Like $30 t-shirts, $50 hoodies. Oh the irony.
Yeah dude. I don't know you. My bad for firing that **** off after too many beers with dinner...

Your argument for re-appropriated design was a little tired though. Especially since MOST the **** we see now-a-days is re-appropriated.

I grew up surfing and skating and personally, I like the nostalgic sensibility behind these shirts.

$30 tshirts and $120 hoodies too dude...

And yes, Streetwear has gotten dumb. Mostly because any kid now with some money thinks they can design ****. I am only loyal to a few brands and Gentei is one of them.

Mishka, Flying Coffin, Actual Pain and Vans are about all I'll wear anymore.
Old 11-18-07, 10:44 PM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trace215
Jesus. That "fixed-gear army" hoodie is the absolute wackest thing I've ever seen - What self-respecting fixed rider would ride around with "skid and destroy" written in an XTREME FONT on the back of an ugly pink hoodie? (Or really, who would at all?). Ridiculousness aside, it's also just bad fashion.
this was also 2 years ago. Before **** hit the fan and blew the **** up like it did. I personally like the hoodie, but that's me.
Old 11-18-07, 10:54 PM
hi

Bikes: affinity, schwinn conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, yeah, I didn't realize how old this thread was until you mentioned it. I still contend the hoodie is wack, but hey, whatever flies your aeroplane.
Old 11-18-07, 11:03 PM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been known to wear gaudier ****.

Old 11-18-07, 11:05 PM
some dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
remember this?

Skateboarding companies, especially world industries, ripped off every logo ever made.
Old 11-18-07, 11:27 PM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
****, where'd you find that? I was looking for that exact deck to post!
heh
Old 11-19-07, 09:21 AM
i read this at work

Bikes: IRO BFSSFG group buy, 2007 tommaso trascinare road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colintdesign
My critique is their re-appropriating of other companys graphics, slapping their logo on it and selling for profit. I understand the attempt at low-brow homage but it is brand theft. I actually think the bike posted at the beginning of the thread looks pretty cool.
you still never answered if you download music. your whole argument seems pretty weak if you do
Old 11-19-07, 09:24 AM
some dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did an image search for jason lee burger king. i loved that deck. but i loved the gonz mac and cheese one more:

This page has a ton of old decks.
www.ukoldschool.dsl.pipex.com/ collection.htm
Old 11-19-07, 09:30 AM

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayrooney
remember this?
Yep! I can't believe I bought that deck. I supported the biggest loser in the industry (Rocco)...he tricked me with having one of the coolest teams at the time. I was 8, though.
Old 11-19-07, 09:51 AM

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dblock
you still never answered if you download music. your whole argument seems pretty weak if you do
Only if you have no clue what branding really means. They're not related at all.
Old 11-19-07, 10:26 AM
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
appropriation: where do you draw the line?

[picture of minor threat ripoff poster by nike skate--not showing up for some reason]

Last edited by comradehoser; 11-19-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 11:52 AM
i read this at work

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
Only if you have no clue what branding really means. They're not related at all.
i know what branding means. maybe they are not related but the idea is similar. an image created by someone is ripped off without permission. music is created by someone is ripped off without permission.
Old 11-19-07, 12:10 PM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is no originality in this pomo world duuuuuuuuude
Old 11-19-07, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Minor Threat thing still makes me wince.
Old 11-19-07, 01:07 PM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, Nike pretty much ****ed that all up...
Old 11-19-07, 03:42 PM
No cud for foil.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: the OP,

We called them "Shop Hentai" where I used to work. For ******bags who don't ride, by ******bags who don't ride.
Old 11-19-07, 04:06 PM

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dblock
i know what branding means. maybe they are not related but the idea is similar. an image created by someone is ripped off without permission. music is created by someone is ripped off without permission.
Sorry about my tone last post. I should be less rude.

I think they're both wrong in one way or another, but very different.

If you download commercial music and don't pay, and would have paid otherwise, that's using a service without giving the creators what they asked for. That's bad, but in a bottom-feeder 'buck stops here' way.

If you take someone else's logo, tweak it and resell it, you're doing two things... making money off of their idea, and polluting their brand. It's gone from scavenging to being outright parasitic in a way that can actively roll back and hurt the creators. It's gone from a passive action to an active one.

See what I mean?
Old 11-19-07, 04:09 PM
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachS
page 3 of this thread is boring, and it had no pictures.

A PONY!

(that felt good)
Old 11-19-07, 05:34 PM
i read this at work

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
Sorry about my tone last post. I should be less rude.

I think they're both wrong in one way or another, but very different.

If you download commercial music and don't pay, and would have paid otherwise, that's using a service without giving the creators what they asked for. That's bad, but in a bottom-feeder 'buck stops here' way.

If you take someone else's logo, tweak it and resell it, you're doing two things... making money off of their idea, and polluting their brand. It's gone from scavenging to being outright parasitic in a way that can actively roll back and hurt the creators. It's gone from a passive action to an active one.

See what I mean?
i understand your point especially the one i bolded, however i still maintain that if you do DL music you shuoldn't ***** about stealing brands as the guy i originally talked to was.
Old 11-19-07, 06:09 PM
via hiptop

Bikes: wooden lightning, cyclepro conversion, varsity beater, nishiki conversion, fuji conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I know the story on the first bike. It was built from parts laying around the shop. It wasn't a show piece.

It's funny. This shop is bringing hard to find parts from JP and making it available in a store where you can just walk in and get it plus they are making clothes and gear FOR YOU (whether you like it or not) and you are hating on them.

If you don't like it, why don't you call/email them suggestions on how to make it better instead of spitting on it. You know, it could be worse. No one would care to import or design fixed/track products then you'd b1tch about that: "Why doesn't someone make stuff for us?"
So who here asked for this?
Old 11-20-07, 01:15 AM
thomas masini lives

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dude you cant argue with the past

someone tell juvikyle to post here again

just ask juvi is probably my all time favorite thread
Old 11-20-07, 01:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnprolly
Yeah dude. I don't know you. My bad for firing that **** off after too many beers with dinner...

Your argument for re-appropriated design was a little tired though. Especially since MOST the **** we see now-a-days is re-appropriated.

I grew up surfing and skating and personally, I like the nostalgic sensibility behind these shirts.

$30 tshirts and $120 hoodies too dude...

And yes, Streetwear has gotten dumb. Mostly because any kid now with some money thinks they can design ****. I am only loyal to a few brands and Gentei is one of them.

Mishka, Flying Coffin, Actual Pain and Vans are about all I'll wear anymore.

^ im still geeked on how huge (cult following-wise) Flying Coffin has become. not many people know this, but the dude behind it is from Hawaii. good friend of mine, even. rad for FC.
Old 11-20-07, 01:39 AM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doofo
dude you cant argue with the past

someone tell juvikyle to post here again

just ask juvi is probably my all time favorite thread

trackasourus rex duh
?sloppy still posts

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 11-20-07, 09:51 AM
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DasProfezzional
Re: the OP,

We called them "Shop Hentai" where I used to work. For ******bags who don't ride, by ******bags who don't ride.
I'll be nice

Last edited by johnprolly; 11-20-07 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-20-07, 10:11 AM
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
johnprolly, my respect for you waxes and wanes with every thread. Sometimes your polite and succinct, and other times, you're a rude, raving idiot blindly defending your rampant consumerism.

Either be a dutret, or be a doofo, but you can't be both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.