Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Time to ask again how many gears does a bike really need

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Time to ask again how many gears does a bike really need

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-17, 02:26 PM
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
With all this talk about more gears it got me thinking.
While cycling enthusiasts are bantering over the need for more gears I am reminded how a lot of the casual cycling public is just clueless to gears in general. I see many weekend riders walking up mild grades and clearly their bikes not ever shifted to use a lower gear. Also see many of them struggling in a huge gear obviously clueless they could shift to an easier gear. Often see folks totally cross chained, spun out in the small ring obviously not understanding there is a big ring.
I wonder what the ratio is of cycling folks that use and understand gears to the clueless ones who probably never shifted their bikes.
I guess more gears for those who never shift would be useless.
Just me thinking out loud.

Not intending to offend anyone just sharing my observations and thoughts.
Old 12-25-17, 03:34 PM
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stevoo
With all this talk about more gears it got me thinking.
While cycling enthusiasts are bantering over the need for more gears I am reminded how a lot of the casual cycling public is just clueless to gears in general. I see many weekend riders walking up mild grades and clearly their bikes not ever shifted to use a lower gear. Also see many of them struggling in a huge gear obviously clueless they could shift to an easier gear. Often see folks totally cross chained, spun out in the small ring obviously not understanding there is a big ring.
I wonder what the ratio is of cycling folks that use and understand gears to the clueless ones who probably never shifted their bikes.
I guess more gears for those who never shift would be useless.
Just me thinking out loud.

Not intending to offend anyone just sharing my observations and thoughts.
Man, you hit the nail on the head. KB
Old 12-25-17, 04:43 PM
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If the only thing that holds the water in the riverbanks near where you ride is surface tension, then probably 36 is overkill.
Old 12-25-17, 05:10 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 674 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
What about the correct sequence for the re-re-re-etc-repeat Resurrection of the dead-horse threads "Going Fast is Wrong", "Cycling Kit is a Waste of $$", "Diamond Frames are Health Hazards", "Disc Brakes are Absolutely Necessary for Everyone" before "Too Many Gears is Bad"? That's like putting your Assos team kit socks on over your Sidi cycling shoes.

-Bandera
I dub thee "Sir_Antitroll"

Weren't there also a few related to "wedgie-riding comfort-haters?"
Old 12-25-17, 05:16 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Liked 101 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Very location dependent..

IMHO its the breadth of the the ratio range ...

In 1957 my 3 speed first got a wider range with a 3 cog cluster.. on the hub driver..

Then, to further increase the range wider a triple crank was added.
I did the same on my Raleigh tourer with Sturmey Archer hub in 1955, but not the triple.
Old 12-25-17, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Since the 80s the number of gears on the rear cluster has gone up from the long time 5 to 12. With a triple in the front that gives the rider 36 gears. Do we really need that many?

In my case with the mountain bike, and touring bike I no longer have, and the bent and trike I now have with mountain bike gearing, it does afford one way to shift. The bent bike is a 9 speed in the rear. The way I use it is as a 3 range. Granny is for riding up steep hills. Then center ring is for most riding. The big ring is for down hills and with the wind. I simply then shift across the rear cluster as needed.

But back to the question------------how many gears do bikes really need, and will they go above 12 in the rear.
I quit at 7, never bought any-thing above that. My most ridden bikes is a Trek "Pure" with the 3 speed Nexus and my old Trek 830 with the right shifter broken . ( I put it in the middle gear on the cluster so I have another 3 speed.) On the trails and the little on roads around Folsom, It works just fine.
Old 12-25-17, 07:37 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
How many gears ?
Depends upon what type of riding you do.
For me, commuting, utility riding and just bumming around - I do very well with a 12-36 9 speed cassette and a single chainring 39 t with 32 mm 622 tires. GI range is from approx 29 to 87, have comfortably ridden thousands of km with this gearing set up.
Old 12-25-17, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My frame weighs a ton. I need all the help I can get.
Old 12-26-17, 12:06 AM
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
1892 Coventry with Crypto gears:

Attachment 592889

2017 MC2:

Attachment 592890
Look, it's the Pedal-Steer Brigade! (Seriously; check out their scary ad videos: MC2 bike - HOME)

And the crank-forward concept really has been around a while.
Old 12-26-17, 09:48 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
If the only thing that holds the water in the riverbanks near where you ride is surface tension, then probably 36 is overkill.
Dont make the usual mistake by judging Nebr by what you see in IS80. I can take you for a tour that will probably have you walking your bike.
Old 12-26-17, 09:54 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,221 Times in 2,045 Posts
In the past mornings of solidtuding, stewing the idea for a IGH paired with a narrow multi-speed rear cassette w/t der & a 2 sprocket front der system has crossed the mind.
Main purpose would be to keep the chain straight, reduce side wearing of the mating components, lessen the fuss in regards to adjustments, quieter/smoother operation, size reduction overall depending on the ratio needs, may increase the time gap interval between the next typical maintenance/service due.

Then I figured... if I am thinking it, chances are, it has already cycled around in our market..
...it has... but can be very pricey & the designs are often more than what I was after...

3 speed IGH for short gearing then 6+ tall cogs to act as the overdrive gears, which wouldnt see a lot of torque unless your legs are inhuman for strength!
Old 12-26-17, 09:56 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,749 Times in 1,975 Posts
Eventually the CVT belt-drive will be perfected and the idea of shifting gears will be forgotten .... and all you three-speed holdouts will be out of luck.

As far as I am concerned ... I will always want one more gear than Mr. Rydabent can tolerate.

Okay ... time for next in the "I'm Not a troll, I'm bent .... " series. Is that "No one should wear cycling-specific gear" or "Disc brakes Rule---the days of the caliper brake are numbered" ? I think I have lost track.
Old 12-26-17, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Liked 339 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Well, I once had a bike set up with a 3x3x7, for 63 gears. Yes there were a lot of duplicates, but it was impractical to use them that way anyway. More importantly, it had 9 ranges, of which 3 or 4 were useful, and a total range of 17-145 inches. I found that the 71T (equivalent) range was good for flatlands, while the 56T (equivalent) was good for windy days and <8% hills. Only rarely did I need the low range at all, and the lowest gear was tricky to ride because I had a tendency to push too hard and flip the bike. Eventually I converted it to a 3x9 which has plenty of gears, even for a recumbent.
I tried to stay out of this discussion, but 3x3x7 got me impressed. Was that on a recumbent? How did you arrive at that? Was the impracticality in too many levers to operate?

I ride 4x8=32 and at the maximum I had 4x9=36. The downgrading of the number was for more durable chain that was easier to manipulate. Also, I went down from a custom cassette to commercial, for smoother shifting. It is easier to optimize the rings for smoother shifting, by rotating the rings, shaping teeth and building in pins than optimizing a cassette that in addition lasts a shorter time.

In the front I have now 18-26-34-46 and in the rear I have alternate between 11-32 and 12-34 - whatever comes out from the bin. I use the lowest gears in the loose snow, such as to start from a ditch or uphill, and the highest gears in riding downhill. In the Great Lakes region you can have spring weather in the morning and heavy snow in the evening or the other way around, so the big gear range is of a literal advantage. I enjoy being able to cope with whatever is thrown at me.

While I spend few months per year in travel in various climate zones, riding whatever bikes with whatever number of gears they come with, I really feel at home when back on my quad.
Old 12-26-17, 10:28 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,749 Times in 1,975 Posts
That 4-by gearing makes a recumbent sound more inviting ... a trike with an 18-tooth low and a 48-tooth high and also a wide range of Useable gears in between .....
Old 12-26-17, 10:52 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
The bent bike is a 9 speed in the rear. The way I use it is as a 3 range. Granny is for riding up steep hills. Then center ring is for most riding. The big ring is for down hills and with the wind. I simply then shift across the rear cluster as needed.

Sounds like an awful large amount of gears to me. How many gears does a bike really need, indeed.
Old 12-26-17, 11:56 AM
Occam's Rotor

Dont make the usual mistake by judging Nebr by what you see in IS80. I can take you for a tour that will probably have you walking your bike.
Meanwhile, do you have a RideWithGPS (or similar) example you could post?
Old 12-26-17, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Does a Big Wheel qualify as a recumbent with zero gears?
No, that would be a recumbent fixie.
Old 12-26-17, 03:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Meanwhile, do you have a RideWithGPS (or similar) example you could post?
You might want to check out doing a loop in Indian Cave State Park. The entry road is steep enough you have to use low range in your car and still ride the brake going down into the park.
Old 12-26-17, 05:00 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
The time is Right to start a thread, that though pointless, will keep going until it's warm enough to get the bike out again..

Old 12-26-17, 05:30 PM
Occam's Rotor

You might want to check out doing a loop in Indian Cave State Park. The entry road is steep enough you have to use low range in your car and still ride the brake going down into the park.
Is it this?

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8037539
Old 12-26-17, 09:22 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Liked 643 Times in 480 Posts
I think that's it though the Strava segment has half at 22%, half at 14%.

Glad to see the threads staying on course. I think my beater commuter for this summer will be a 21 speed and some bar ends when I splurge.

Last edited by GrainBrain; 12-26-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm still using 8-speed on my most geared up bike. It seems adequate. In another 10 or 20 years I might want to switch to a triple though.
Old 12-27-17, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 6,902 Times in 3,585 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
A better question might be "What is the purpose of Bike Forums?" Is it information or entertainment? Maybe a little of both. Like it or not, this thread is up to 5 pages already. That means that a bunch of posters have been either informed or entertained or maybe a little of each.

My personal feeling is that as long as the title of the thread is clear and not misleading, anybody who doesn't like it can simply skip over it. What's wrong with that?
Words of wisdom.
Old 12-31-17, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
5 and 6 speed work for me!

My old (and only) bikes have just 5 and 6 cogs in back - 120mm rear triangle, triple crankset - For most riding I have the gears I need. That's rando and touring in non-mountainous Wisconsin.

The only time I wish for more gears is when group riding when at a fast pace or senior racing. At those times I could use some tighter increments in the gearing.

One little advantage to my setup is using thicker chainrings and cogs with 8 spd chains which are a bit more robust so maybe don't wear as fast as the 12s.

My two cents...
Old 12-31-17, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Somewhat true -

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
12-speed is for single chainrings, so 12 gears only. SRAM is very much vested in 1x. Your old 3x8 for example has 24 gears, many of them useless, redundant or extreme cross-chained. So 1x12 is more useful albeit fewer (marketing) gears. If money wasn't an object, i definitely would have 1x12 on my my hybrid. Not sure if it would work on road-bikes, though, but that also seems to be coming (according to a GCN show I saw)

So your wish is coming true, we are going to fewer gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utw9NzIwhzw
With my 18 speeds ( 6 rear, 3 front ) I pretty much use at least 14 of the gears. But - to your point, there is lots of front shifting going on to select the various ratios. I don't mind much though, gives me something to do...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.