Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's so special about French bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's so special about French bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 10:21 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,707 Times in 2,179 Posts
I started this thread almost 2 years ago. It turns out that 2018 was the year of French bikes, at least in Des Moines. You'll have to excuse the crummy pics given that it's winter but I will have 3 French bikes to build next year:

1983 Peugeot PXN 10. The bike is close to factory spec and really does not need much if any work as it comes from forum member, [MENTION=353902]Steve Whitlatch[/MENTION]
1973 Motobecane Grand Record.
1970s Mercier 300.

It looks like I'm set for an Eroica ride, And no, I'm not looking for a Gitane TdF . . . .

Last edited by bikemig; 12-12-18 at 10:30 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-12-18, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Liked 820 Times in 422 Posts
Heres my first Frenchie, '78 PR10 (I think) from local CL back in August. I've got Italian, British, American-Taiwan, and now French. It has great ride quality, 531 main triangle, and racy geometry. Similar to my Super Course, but feels more lively somehow.

As bought, funky brake levers, missing FD, stripped pedal thread, but beautiful!

Now, Campy aero levers, Sugino 52/34 crank, Shimano Exage FD, still beautiful!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 12-12-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 05:43 PM

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I started this thread almost 2 years ago. It turns out that 2018 was the year of French bikes, at least in Des Moines. You'll have to excuse the crummy pics given that it's winter but I will have 3 French bikes to build next year

It looks like I'm set for an Eroica ride, And no, I'm not looking for a Gitane

You sure about the TdF? If you are coming to Eroica, I’m looking to get rid of a swap meet find for well less than the $40 i paid. Problem is the fork and i keep thinking about fixing the fork or finding another fork and building it up. You would save me from my primal urges.

Joe
Old 12-12-18, 07:12 PM

Liked 865 Times in 565 Posts
I thought I had my fill of French bikes for a while, with two Peugeots, a Vitus and a Gitane, but the French N+1 bug bit me again last night when I put a bid down for a very nice condition 1984 Gitane Supercorsa frameset at eBay. Did not really make sense cause I already have my 1984 Gitane TdF and the frames are pretty much identical except for a bit of chrome on the DS stays and dropout on the SC and the quintessentially 80's Gitane blue paint on it (Which frankly, could be what pushed me over to bid on it), but there I was, last night, bidding on the French frameset....
A bit glad in the end the bids went over my max and did not win the auction as I think I need a break from full builds for a while and really do some maintenance work on my bikes this winter......, but it just proves that a Francophile C&Ver can never have enough French bikes....
Old 12-12-18, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Liked 550 Times in 271 Posts
2018 was a banner year for French n+1, so I can answer O.P.'s question, "what's so special?", with a couple samples:
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2638.jpg (697.0 KB, 614 views)
DSCN1588.jpg (1.70 MB, 609 views)
Old 12-12-18, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jcb3

You sure about the TdF? If you are coming to Eroica, I’m looking to get rid of a swap meet find for well less than the $40 i paid. Problem is the fork and i keep thinking about fixing the fork or finding another fork and building it up. You would save me from my primal urges.

Joe
I'd love to do the Eroica ride one of these days but I guess I'm saving myself from picking up another French bike by not going this year, .
Old 12-13-18, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,146 Times in 1,531 Posts
I looked back to see what I had said on this thread.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
You should make an offer on this before it ends up in my garage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115397...h/32209277963/
In case anyone is wondering, that bike did end up in my garage. It's back at the Atelier now as I've asked [MENTION=381793]gugie[/MENTION] to give it a little more Gugificazione. Is it possible for a craftsman of Italian descent working on a bike in America to make the bike even more French than it was originally? That's kind of what we're going for.

Since [MENTION=8403]ollo_ollo[/MENTION] shared his lovely Stella, I'll also share some pics of its near twin.

A few of my favorite details will help answer the original question of what's so special about French bikes.

(Tour de France? Yeah, a Stella rider won a couple of those.)

(Why, yes, that is a Columbus decal with French text. The seat stay wraps are pretty cool too, no?)

(In case you wondered what other races have been won by someone riding a Stella...)

(I still haven't gotten around to taking a picture with the head badge that [MENTION=73614]rhm[/MENTION] made for me installed.)

I think the word "panache" could be properly applied to what I'm getting at with these pictures.
Old 12-13-18, 03:47 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Liked 1,116 Times in 310 Posts
They are "special"...

I love my special French bike.

Likes For styggno1:
Old 12-13-18, 03:57 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,020 Times in 2,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Is it possible for a craftsman of Italian descent working on a bike in America to make the bike even more French than it was originally?
My mother claimed she had a bit of French blood in her.

So I've got that going for me.

"The Butcher of Beaverton"
Old 12-13-18, 06:06 PM

Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
In answer to the original question: in comparison with other 1970s factory-manufactured steel frame bicycles, the French frames seem to be lighter and their bicycles have a more pleasing road feel for many aficionados. The mid-range offerings were superior values in their performance-to-cost ratio.

Replacement parts in French thread (headset, bottom bracket, French hub cones) are relatively less common and can be more expensive than their BSC counterparts. Stems are less common, smaller outside diameter on the quill, and you can easily sand a 22.2 diameter aluminum alloy stem to fit correctly in a 22.0 French steerer.

If you are curious about vintage French bikes, I hope you will try one.
Old 12-13-18, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cyclophilia
In answer to the original question: in comparison with other 1970s factory-manufactured steel frame bicycles, the French frames seem to be lighter and their bicycles have a more pleasing road feel for many aficionados. The mid-range offerings were superior values in their performance-to-cost ratio.

Replacement parts in French thread (headset, bottom bracket, French hub cones) are relatively less common and can be more expensive than their BSC counterparts. Stems are less common, smaller outside diameter on the quill, and you can easily sand a 22.2 diameter aluminum alloy stem to fit correctly in a 22.0 French steerer.

See post no. 126,
Old 12-13-18, 07:49 PM
Banned

Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
They are "special"...

Wowza!!
Thats one I think Alain Prost would ride.
Old 12-13-18, 08:57 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,657 Times in 1,544 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclophilia

Yes! I don't have any French bikes now, but I've had some and loved them. The UO-8 rode better than other bikes at its price, and the PX10 rode like a great bike, and it was not expensive for what it was. Same for the other models.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-13-18, 10:48 PM

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
I've see the light

Well, it may be heresy to admit I once did not appreciate French bikes, but my eyes have been opened. Though maybe not as impressive as other posters pics, the attached shows a couple details that have caught my attention.

Old 12-13-18, 11:43 PM

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Liked 583 Times in 253 Posts
I have owned a Gitane TdF, Peugeot Triathlon and I currently own a Look 585. I haven't been too impressed with any of them. If it was asked "What's so special about Italian bikes?" I would be on board.
Old 12-14-18, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I have owned a Gitane TdF, Peugeot Triathlon and I currently own a Look 585. I haven't been too impressed with any of them. If it was asked "What's so special about Italian bikes?" I would be on board.
This is sacrilege,

You know you haven't really tried drinking the French kool aid until you've rebuilt a classic gas pipe Frenchy like a UO-8. Just sayin. . . .
Old 12-14-18, 08:59 AM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Liked 1,526 Times in 715 Posts
I've owned a bunch of PX-10s, a PR-10, two Gitane Super Corsas and three Gitane TdFs. I keep coming back to them because there is just something about how French bikes ride that I really like. It may be the metric tubing dimensions, I'm not sure. My latest revelation has been a humble gaspipe Liberia that I bought for the Clunker 100 Challenge this summer. I made period-correct parts changes - replacing the rusted Samir Saminox steel rims with some used Weinmann alloy units and completing the switch from worn Simplex Prestige to alloy SunTour derailleurs and shifters (which came stock on a '75 Motobecane GT!) and I was shocked by how well this bike rides. I keep meaning to replace the crap tires with some Paselas to see where that gets me. It's all in the frame design and the tubing dimensions, I think ...
Old 12-14-18, 09:44 AM
Francophile

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 452 Times in 213 Posts
Yep, I am another person who discovered how nice old French bikes are to ride! My old AO-8 triggered my fascination with how good cheap French bikes could be, and I now have two bottom of the line Motobécanes, a even more bottom of the line Astra, a couple other low end Peugeots, etc . . .
[MENTION=342124]rustystrings61[/MENTION], definitely try out good tires on your Liberia. I use Compass tires on my AO-8, and they are perfect.
Old 12-14-18, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Liked 550 Times in 271 Posts
Tires make a huge difference in the ride and overall weight also. Here's my entry level 1973 Gitane mixte from the same Clunker challenge.

As pictured, with the 45 y.o. Michelin tires on steel rims, and Pryma saddle, it had surprisingly good handling and ride. Weighed about 30 pounds. After Substituting alloy wheels and new Kenda tires, but also changing back to the original, sprung saddle, it was only a few ounces lighter.

Better stopping power in wet conditions was offset some by a poorer ride with the cheap Kenda's. It was still good for an entry level bike, but with the better Michelins, this "Gypsy Lady" compared quite well with my much lighter, and much more expensive Grand Jubile mixte. One of my "best bang for the buck" rides for sure.

My grand daughter gets the bike this Spring. Mods so far are Co-op stuff: a more comfortable Avocet touring saddle + pedals with reflectors. Don
Attached Images
DSCN1604.jpg (1.87 MB, 508 views)
Old 12-14-18, 11:01 AM

Liked 865 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is sacrilege,

You know you haven't really tried drinking the French kool aid until you've rebuilt a classic gas pipe Frenchy like a UO-8. Just sayin. . . .
Yes, it seems like the cheaper the French bike is, the more guarantee that it will be a very good riding bike.
Take my lowly Peugeot PH10s that I owned in the 80's, made with Peugeot's Carbolite 103 tubing. Lugless construction with stamped dropouts and stem shifters, basic model Simplex derailleur and rat trap pedals.
I did mod it up with better wheels and components, but it was the frame that provided the magic on that bike. It remains one of the best riding bikes I ever owned. Even compared to the top of the line bikes I now have. Sure it did not handle like a criterium or stage race bike, but there was just something about how it "sings" under you, when you are motoring at speed on the road. And you feel a nice twang from the frame when you put the hammer down that felt really good plus it tracked laser straight and quiet. It also had a satisfying "whoosh" to it when you stand on the pedals and accellerate.
Should have never sold that bike!
I hope it's still alive out there bringing smiles to its owner everytime it is taken out for rides.
Old 12-15-18, 12:40 AM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Liked 998 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I have owned a Gitane TdF, Peugeot Triathlon and I currently own a Look 585. I haven't been too impressed with any of them...
You talking to me?! You talking to me?!
Old 12-15-18, 02:55 AM

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,146 Times in 1,531 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1

What are you doing with that new-fangled electronic shifting on the C&V forum?
Old 12-15-18, 06:04 AM
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 649 Times in 292 Posts

Three aces and a jack.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 12-15-18, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by top506
sniip

Three aces and a jack.

These bikes are beautiful. Once you start down this road, it's hard to stop.
Old 12-15-18, 07:28 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
Another thing so special about French bikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.