Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any teen bikers out there?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any teen bikers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 12:54 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only time where I enjoy driving is when I'm driving really really long distances (as in >100 miles).

Having done several centuries gave me the patience to do any repetitive activity for eight hours+. It's great!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 07-23-08, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04jtb

Been road cycling for over a year now, I cycle where I can, and I find it a good way to keep fit.

PS- I also maintain all my bikes myself
Very niceeeeeeee.
Old 07-23-08, 12:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
The only time where I enjoy driving is when I'm driving really really long distances (as in >100 miles).

Having done several centuries gave me the patience to do any repetitive activity for eight hours+. It's great!
I have never done anything that long that I can remember at the time ha. How do you plan out the route/roads you will take when riding, a century or less??
Old 07-23-08, 01:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love watching juniors race. At a crit here in Gainesville 10-11 year old crashed on a cobble stone corner into some cones. He gets up and says "Oh shoot!". So cute. Mind you, he had Zipp 650 wheels and a carbon bike I'm sure he'll outgrow in 3 months.
Old 07-23-08, 01:12 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Hey, you young guys are great! Keep up the good work.
And don't forget to change your diapers!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-23-08, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000SL, Lotus Unique, Panasonic ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 14 years old and I have always rode a bike. I started road cycling seriously a little over a year ago and plan on racing in the very near future.

Last edited by G. Ike; 07-23-08 at 01:17 PM. Reason: i lied
Old 07-23-08, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G. Ike
I'm 14 years old and I have always rode a bike. I started road cycling seriously a little over a year ago and plan on racing in the very near future.
That is cool, as general as it sounds, how do you get into racing?
Old 07-23-08, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nekura
I love watching juniors race. At a crit here in Gainesville 10-11 year old crashed on a cobble stone corner into some cones. He gets up and says "Oh shoot!". So cute. Mind you, he had Zipp 650 wheels and a carbon bike I'm sure he'll outgrow in 3 months.
I have grown to the point where I won't get taller.
Old 07-23-08, 02:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iwannagofast
That is cool, as general as it sounds, how do you get into racing?
The Lehigh Valley Wheelmen cosponsor a junior team along with BikeLine and I have been talking to the junior development coordinator. I was supposed to race in the Nicole Reinhart Tour de FCCC last weekend, but I had some family business to attend to. I intend on racing as soon as possible, but I don't know of any events right now.
Old 07-23-08, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Lehigh Valley Wheelmen cosponsor a junior team along with BikeLine and I have been talking to the junior development coordinator. I was supposed to race in the Nicole Reinhart Tour de FCCC last weekend, but I had some family business to attend to. I intend on racing as soon as possible, but I don't know of any events right now.
hmm...interesting, would someone at a LBS be able to give me info on races and stuff like that or would you talk to someone else?
Old 07-23-08, 02:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iwannagofast
hmm...interesting, would someone at a LBS be able to give me info on races and stuff like that or would you talk to someone else?
My LBS doesn't sponsor a team, but yours might. Talk to them and if they have a team, great, if not, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 07-23-08, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright thanks
Old 07-23-08, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 20, no longer a teen, but I've been riding bikes since around the same time I was comfortable walking. Rode mountain bikes not very seriously until I was 18, then decided I needed more exercise and that, after watching the TdF every year of my life with my dad (a former avid cyclist), a road bike would be fun. I found a Miyata 710 frame on craigslist, which was a lucky break. I built it up in its first incarnation as a clunky, but functional 7-speed out of the parts bin at the Bike Kitchen in SF. Since then, I've upgraded parts and made serious plans for that frame (going to build new wheels and put an Ultegra drivetrain on there).

I live car-free, which works in a little city like Santa Cruz, and now have four bikes: My Miyata, my Marin mtb, a beat-to-hell-but-showing-no-signs-of-letting-up 80's Trek that I keep changing (currently a fixed cross bike, soon to be a 1x8 cross bike, might become a 2 or 3 x8 touring bike), and my Mercier track bike. The track bike sees the most day-to-day use, mostly because it would break my heart to see my Miyata stolen or damaged by some stupid **** at a downtown bike rack.

Bikes have changed my life. I'm now involved with my campus Bike Co-op, working as a mechanic/cashier/stocker/general volunteer and am interested in (practical) bicycle activism, as I believe that bicycles will save the world. I will definitely always own at least one bike, and will ride for as long into my life as I physically can.
Old 07-23-08, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Argh.

I want to work at a bike shop.
It is the shiz. Last week my manager let me have a pair of the fancy Ti/Carbon Keo pedals that came on a demo bike.
Old 07-23-08, 04:41 PM
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowjeep
Lulz,

Anyway.

I am turning 20 in less than a month now. I was the only person at my highschool of about 500 people that road seriously. Same at the small college I went to. So I stopped riding as much and now I am fat. I am going to KU next year where I know for a fact there are serious cyclists, I plan on being one again.
Rock chalk.

I didn't ride while I was in Lawrence, I only got into the sport after I moved west. When I was back there, my spidey-senses were heightened, and it does appear that there are serious cyclists around. Plus collegiate nats were held there for a few years.

To all the younger guys -- good for you for riding. The nice gear will come in time, but it really has nothing to do with the bike. Enjoy blowing past all the old guys
Old 07-23-08, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, at least for a few more months when I turn 20. Started cycling about a year ago when I started working at REI (had been working camping) when I found an interest in triathlons.

My main sport had always been wrestling and was my Freshman year in college as well, but cycling and triathlons likely will become more the focus as I may not be able to wrestle in the future. (Oh, and cycling is just pretty awesome)

Are the riders in the Lehigh Valley Wheelmen generally a nice bunch? I ask because I moved up here last semester for school.
Old 07-23-08, 06:32 PM
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pablo.
It is the shiz. Last week my manager let me have a pair of the fancy Ti/Carbon Keo pedals that came on a demo bike.
I guess I'll be moving to Brooklyn and hitting up R&A.
Old 07-24-08, 09:35 AM
Steel snob by accident

Bikes: Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 here. i do mostly ride single speed most of the time though